GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

99 Silverado Brakes

This is a discussion on 99 Silverado Brakes within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; OK I have a 99 Silverado Z71. Every time I am pulling something for a long period of time my ...

Cool 99 Silverado Brakes

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    OK I have a 99 Silverado Z71. Every time I am pulling something for a long period of time my brakes get really soft and the truck don't wanna stop. I have pulled the tires off and check all the brakes all the way around. They look fine and have alot of life left in them. I check the sizes and they were all about the same sizes. When I stop I smell break fumes really bad and I am sure its from them getting hot is there anything I can do about this problem?
    99 Z71

Re: 99 Silverado Brakes

Do you have the 99 cbs or nbs? Because I have a 99 classic sierra, and I have front disk and rear drums. And my neighbor has a 2000 silverado, and he knows a lot about the trucks, and he said the 99 and 2000's have front and rear disks, and he said that his breaks do not do good when pulling a trailer unless he has trailer brakes. But my truck will do good on it's own breaks.

Yes, telling us NBS or OBS will definitely help us in our quest to help you.

My 00 NBS has had to pull some serious weight on occasion and I notice that the brakes really shine. Almost as if the pedal responds to the extra weight and I haven't gotten them to fade when braking hard for a toll booth stop or a panic stop. And that was with the stock pads and rotors. I have since replaced them with EBC pads and EBC slotted and cross drilled rotors which in theory should work better as letting the fade causing gases escape and prevent the pads from glazing.

If you are smelling the brakes and are getting some fade, then that is a good sign that there are some glazed pads or scorched rotors or both. How old is the brake fluid? If it is original and the miles are getting on the higher side, you might be getting some fade from old brake fluid not performing as well as it once did. I would flush the brake lines with some new fluid and look into the possibility of glazed pads. All of these issues will cause what you are experiencing and these are easy and cheap do-it-yourself fixes.

It is a NBS and I am not sure how old the brake fluid is I got the truck about 7 months ago!
    99 Z71

Pull the fill cap off of the brake fluid reservoir and see what color the fluid is. New fluid is nearly clear. As heat and carbon enter the brake fluid over a long span of time, the fluid starts to turn in color just like engine oil. Slightly brown is still acceptable in my opinion, but dark brown or black is a good indication that the fluid is original and it would be a good idea to flush the old stuff out. That will also give you a chance to bleed the system and restore your brake pedal firmness if for some reason it isn't all what it should be right now.

The next step, if the symptoms persist after flushing the brake fluid, would be to make sure a caliper isn't sticking or frozen. This happened to me after replacing my brakes. My left rear caliper was frozen and it was creating excessive heat and creating that burning brake pad smell. Simple way to ckeck is to drive the truck for 15 minutes or so and park the truck and immediately feel for a wheel that might be warmer than the others. You should feel the heat pouring off the wheel area if there is a frozen caliper. I was able to touch the rotors and time and again my rear left was scorching hot while the others were just warm to the touch. If you suspect a frozen caliper, just replace it with something from NAPA or whatever parts supplier you prefer.

If it passes the frozen caliper test, you might just have glazed pads. The front does more braking than the rear so start there. Pull the pads out and check the surface that mates with the rotor. If they are hard and shiny to the point where you could use them as little mirrors, then chances are your pads are glazed and this can easily be fixed by scuffing the shiny stuff up with a mild abrasive like sandpaper or something similar. Reinstall the pads and move on to the rears.

If it ends up being glazed pads and the scuff technique is only a temporary fix, then consider replacing all the pads with something you know and trust. Like I said, I am currently giving the EBC brand a try and so far no complaints as far as fade.

I am going to change my brake fluid as soon as I can. It doesnt look to clear so I am just going to change it. I am sure my caliper isnt frozen its only when I am towing something under normal driving it is just fine!

Thanks for the great info Tweaks
    Last edited by tolowfofathoe; 12-16-2007 at 07:06 PM.
    99 Z71

take your rear wheels off, undo the caliper bolt so you can swing it out of the way and pull the disc itself, check and see if there any wetness behind there. It could be a axle seal leaking a little gear fluid unto the brake

- 99 Silverado - retired to spare vehicle
    Black headlights/turnsignals/taillights- 6K HID Low beams, back on stock rims. current project/DD 99 jeep TJ

My other ride is a HD hdlocalboy's Avatar

Your rotors could be glazed due to being overheating. You could have them turned/cut by a shop if that is the problem. Your brake pads can't grab the rotors.

Thanks to g9m3c for the sig

Quote Originally Posted by hdlocalboy
    Your rotors could be glazed due to being overheating. You could have them turned/cut by a shop if that is the problem. Your brake pads can't grab the rotors.
    This is also excellent advice and certainly a possibility. I have had this happen to my race bike. I caught it in time and changed the pads before the rotors were complete goners. I should have mentioned this when I mentioned the glazed pads because sometimes the two are related.

With all the good advice, I'm confident you will fix the issue without too much of a hassle.

Alright I will try to have them cut down soon. I dont think its just my rear ones the its all of them. I have took all of the pads off and put that brake gress behind all the pads b/c they were squeaking too. I didnt see anything wrong with anything on the pads or the rotors.
    99 Z71

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by tolowfofathoe
    It is a NBS and I am not sure how old the brake fluid is I got the truck about 7 months ago!
    Yep, check the fluid, maybe the lines need to be bleed?
    Check the calipers and maybe replace the pads using OEM style or some Raybestos Quiet Stop ceramic pads?
    2007 Trailblazer SS - Red Jewel
    2000 GMC Sierra Z71 SOLD! - Mods // Michigan Classics // My Garage // My ebaY auctions
    Hot Rod Search

My other ride is a HD hdlocalboy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tolowfofathoe
    Alright I will try to have them cut down soon. I dont think its just my rear ones the its all of them. I have took all of the pads off and put that brake gress behind all the pads b/c they were squeaking too. I didnt see anything wrong with anything on the pads or the rotors.
    Rears do about 30%-40% of the braking. The fronts do the majority of the stopping.

In your first post, you are smelling brake fumes when towing, it is definitely something being overheated. Most likely the rotors or pads. I would cut rotors, or change them out (your choice) and leave the same pads. If that doesn't work, change pads. Then work your way to the rear brakes. If you change one thing at a time, you can pinpoint where the problem is. Let us know what you find.
    Last edited by hdlocalboy; 12-19-2007 at 01:20 AM.

Thanks to g9m3c for the sig