***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

rear main seal??

This is a discussion on rear main seal?? within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I think mines leaking, Where would the leak be at though? I have some coming down both sides of the ...

rear main seal??

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I think mines leaking, Where would the leak be at though?

I have some coming down both sides of the motor, on the starter and the oil filter (the oil filter is tight), and I belive going all to the bottom of the oil pan.

I cant say forsure if its my rear main seal though, Do you guys think it is?
    2001 Chevy Silverado 1500, Fabtech 4" spindles on Eagle alloy 063s on 33" bfg all terrains, Limo Tint

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3067770

Re: rear main seal??

Quote Originally Posted by $gmoney$
    I think mines leaking, Where would the leak be at though?

I have some coming down both sides of the motor, on the starter and the oil filter (the oil filter is tight), and I belive going all to the bottom of the oil pan.

I cant say forsure if its my rear main seal though, Do you guys think it is?
    if it is leaking down both sides, it is not the rear main, it is either the valve cover gaskets, oil pressure sensor(good possibility) or the rear of the intake(most likely)
    Last edited by dave89iroc; 01-30-2008 at 04:20 PM.
    ASE Master Certified Technician

2000 Silverado 6.0 4L80E 2wd
    *RIP*1994 Z71 SCLB 355, Dart Heads, 10.5:1 CR, PM rods, CC XR270HR

Jer

i thought my seal was leaking on the 88 a few years ago and it wound up being the oil presure sensor
    "In our darkest hour...we look to the sky. With a silent prayer...BELIEVE God's on our side. In the land where FREEDOM reigns...and where eagles fly."

Rear main will drip oil down the bellhousing and pan and back towards the transmission.

'04 CTS-V | '01 2500HD 4x4 6.0/80e

Quote Originally Posted by randeez View Post
    he's got real problems, you think choosing which leather to rewrap in interior is easy?

Intake gaskets were replaced about a year ago. I don't THINK that would be it....however i might be wrong.

The back of the valve covers (both sides) have some fresh oil on them too....i'm thinking it might be the valve cover gasket or the oil pressure sensor?

If its the oil pressure sensor is that hard to check?
    2001 Chevy Silverado 1500, Fabtech 4" spindles on Eagle alloy 063s on 33" bfg all terrains, Limo Tint

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3067770

No you can crawl under and see the sensor. If you had a rear main seal. Those will leaky really bad. You would see it in the bellhousing of the tranmission. Also make sure it's not leaking from like your oil filter adaptor. See that sometimes. If you have a warm day. Buy some degreaser and degrease the engine and rinse it off good. Then let the engine run a bit. You maybe able to trace the leak back easier that way. If you have trouble. Could be that when you drive theres enough wind to blow the oil around.
    Last edited by justy; 01-31-2008 at 01:04 AM.
    Duramax badger truck pullers association.
    Real trucks don't have spark plugs!

2007 3500HD NBS Duramax
    2005 2500HD Duramax sled puller
    1996 1500 6.5L converted SVO/WVO 16city/22hwy
    2006 arctic cat prowler 650 H1
    5th wheel 34' PJ flatdeck trailer