If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Flashing check engine light

This is a discussion on Flashing check engine light within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; 2002 suburban 5.3L 4wd 1500 automatic Hey guys, truck ran out of gas and i put some gas in it ...

Flashing check engine light

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    2002 suburban 5.3L 4wd 1500 automatic

Hey guys, truck ran out of gas and i put some gas in it (new gas not old) and now the CEL is blinking and the truck is misfiring.

I own an import race shop and the gas that I had around to get it to the gas station was out of a car it was a mix of 93 and 100 unleaded so im not sure if that did anything.

When i accelerate the cel blinks, when i decel or very light throttle nothing happens but there is a slight missfire which becomes more evident when the throttle is increased.

Any tips or info? will this just go away with driving or what? I have no idea how the chevy ecu works or how these trucks react. I filled it up the rest of the way with regular 87, after about 3 miles of driving i parked it, it was slightly better than before i got the 87..

Let me know what you think.

Eddie
    Last edited by EdsGTI; 02-06-2008 at 09:22 PM.

Re: Flashing check engine light

I belive a blinking light means a misfire/mutiple misfire.
    How many miles do you have? Are they factory plugs, if not how many miles on them?
    Check your plugs and wires to start.
    Always start simple. Just like an old carb. Pulling codes just narrows it down to a system.
    See if it will scan a code too.

03 Silverado ECSB, Dmax, Allison, 3.73 G80
    96 Silverado ECSB, 350, 4L60E, 3.73's Powertrax Locker
    05 Cavalier
    74 Corvette Stingray, 350, 4 speed
    49 F-1, flathead 6, 4 speed, 2wd, unknown rear end. Old rust bucket.

Autozone or similar parts store will scan it for free.
    Stock 08 2500
    6.0L Crew Cab
    LTZ Z71 4X4

yup.
    FREE!!!!!!
    Nice to have your own scanner though.

05 Cavalier

About 4 months ago my 5.3 4wd did the same thing. I put gas in it from a canister. I ended up spend a little over a grand (mostly labor) but cyl #7 misfire. autozone checked it and they gave me a code, later searched it of FSC and led me to my problem. Had to drop the tank, clean it out, new fuel line, fuel pump, cyl head, fuel injectors, basically entire fuel system. but eventually got figured out. she purrs like a kitten now...id say check ur fuel. might be dirty from when u pulled it from that car.
    Last edited by bronsonquinn; 02-06-2008 at 10:34 PM.
    1999 Silverado NBS | SCSB | ford keys | 03 tailights | black UWS TBox | 6% tint | soon: total black out

I will say this. I never re-use fuel. I don't care what it came out of, you are better off straight from the pump.
    Use that stuff to start a bonfire or somehting. Just don't stand close by when you light it.
    Serously though. You really have no way to know where that fuel came from or what was in the tank it came out of, or what additives have been added, unless it's another you own.
    I still don't do that though. The only time I "reuse" fuel is if I drop a tank without draining the fuel out of it.

05 Cavalier

Never encountered a problem like this, nor have I used the stuff -- just throwing it out there as a potential fix. Would a bottle of fuel additive / cleaner from STP or others help or is that just hyped up garbage?

Quote Originally Posted by kcb37
    I will say this. I never re-use fuel. I don't care what it came out of, you are better off straight from the pump.
    1999 Silverado NBS | SCSB | ford keys | 03 tailights | black UWS TBox | 6% tint | soon: total black out

Chuggernanut,
    I have used I belive STP, and who knows what else. None of them seemed to do anything.
    I have used sea foam on the Ford and Camaro in my sic. Fuel tank of both and in the TBI of Camaro. The Ford gained a good bit of power. (never thought I would see that much difference from a tretment) The Camaro gained a lot of power after the TBI. Some with fuel too. (change fuel filter) after running thru a few tanks, if putting in gas tank.
    Sea Foam is the way to go.
    Marvel Mystery oil will help clean internally, can put in gas too. I have used it to stop leaks. It works great, too.

05 Cavalier

BTW, if you run Sea Foam thru your engine it will smoke, may not be bad, could be a lot of smoke, this is normal. I did my Camaro in front of Auto-Zone with 4 guy's behind the counter looking out the window like (should we be letting him do this). I covered the front of the building with smoke, it was also going around the side, too.
    I thought it was funny!

05 Cavalier

Quote Originally Posted by kcb37
    I belive a blinking light means a misfire/mutiple misfire.
    How many miles do you have? Are they factory plugs, if not how many miles on them?
    Check your plugs and wires to start.
    Always start simple. Just like an old carb. Pulling codes just narrows it down to a system.
    See if it will scan a code too.
    The truck has 90k on it. I bought it in april of 2007 with 60k on it.

I dont know what plugs are in it because I have not changed them.

I just recently did tires, brakes, trans fluid, transfer case fluid, front and rear diffs with diff seal, tranny filter, pan gasket, yada yada. But that was all about a month ago.

The only thing i can think of is that its bad gas.

I drove it to work this morning ~12 miles, bitch wouldnt start at all at first, then by the time i got here it would accelerate through a gear or 2 with no misfires, and then it would start up again.

What plugs do you guys put in these things, what is the gap and do the coils ever go bad? Im going to go through the plugs and fuel injectors when i get back to the shop later today.
    Last edited by EdsGTI; 02-07-2008 at 06:59 AM.

Original Gold Member 97Silverado's Avatar

I had the same issue when I got bad gas one time....had water in it. Once I threw some HEET in it and ran that tank out it cleared up on its own.

Much like alcohol, tobacco, and voting there should be an age requirement for computer usage.
    "Drag racing helps me get rid of all my extra cash."
    Team credit card holder and crew chief - "Hot Rod" Heather JD4193 & Holly "Wood" JD4145

Well i think i just figured out what happened. One of the guys who works for me was using a fuel jug to hold water and i put about a gallon or 2 of that in the tank first, then another jug of fuel.

It just dawned on me now that it was water, i had like a flashback, im so pissed off....

SCAMMER

Quote Originally Posted by EdsGTI
    Well i think i just figured out what happened. One of the guys who works for me was using a fuel jug to hold water and i put about a gallon or 2 of that in the tank first, then another jug of fuel.

It just dawned on me now that it was water, i had like a flashback, im so pissed off....

is there a drain plug on the bottom of the tank?

I had the same problem a couple winters back. bottle of HEET fixed it.

Not sure on the drain plug
    91 K1500 ECSB
    LQ4/80E/241/60/14SF/4.88/38s
    98 2Dr Tahoe
    L31/0411/60E/241/4.10/285s
    EFILive