***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Transmission fluid change? Should I? '93 GMC Sierra

This is a discussion on Transmission fluid change? Should I? '93 GMC Sierra within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Originally Posted by TWODOGGZ I'm in sort of the same situation but with 68k. I have a tech friend at ...

Re: Transmission fluid change? Should I? '93 GMC Sierra

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Quote Originally Posted by TWODOGGZ
    I'm in sort of the same situation but with 68k. I have a tech friend at a Chevy dealer here who says to change it all but I'm afraid the tranny will go away. He says they use an additive to prevent the detergent from eating the seals but I'm still not sure about it. Has anyone heard of this additive?
    I'm with you BigTom. The tech friend I mention above (actually we adopted him after my daughter broke up with him) is taking it in next Sat for a flush and filter on the tranny. I read that it's usually the trannys that are already f'd that die after a service. Mine isn't slipping or anything so it should be good. Haven't decided on fluid type. Dino or synthetic? I've heard Synthetic is better for heat dissipation and and durability but costs a lot more. Cost is okay if it's worth it especially in my truck.
    Don't mean to horn in on your thread BigTom but any thoughts?
    Thanks everyone.
    '98 K2500 ECLB Silverado, 7.4L Vortec, 4L80E, G80-4.10, 4" Rancho, 33X12.50 Pro Comp A/T's, 17" Extreme Alloys

They drew first blood....not me....

Well, tonight I pulled the pan and did the change! Wasn't to tough besides getting the seal for the filter out of it's hole... that was a bit of a PITA but got it out eventually.

The oil was definatly brown and stunk like it was burnt. There wasn't anything major metal wise in the pan just maybe a small spoon full of the filings or whatever the grey sludge on the magnet is called.

Just pulling the pan I figured I got a little over 4L of fluid out of it, I tried to catch as much as I could but my oil pan wasn't big enough so I bottled close to 4L plus all that was on the floor so maybe 4.25L or 4.5L, I think that's maybe a little less then 1/2 of what's in the entire system so again maybe in a oil change or two I'll change everything again then I'd probably have cleaned out most the old junk.

But put it all back together, filled it up with approx what I took out including a 700ml bottle of Lucus transmission fix and took it for a short drive and it seemed fine. So tomorrow I'll take it to work, then when I come home I'll really let it warm up good maybe run for 45min total and then check my levels to make sure they are spot on. I have a small road trip coming up this weekend so I'm hopeful everything will be ok

When you drive it to work check it when you get there. If it's not to far, you should only drive 5 to 10 miles. Just engouh to warm it up.
    If it was that dirty honestly I would do it one more time just like you said.

TWODOGGZ you can flush a tranny you think is just fine and have it go out. How many miles do you have?
    I changed the fluid on my mom's car, 240,00 to 260,000, can't remeber where (between the 2 though) it was dark and you could smell it burnt from at least 15 feet away after I dropped the pan, just changed fluid/filter ran and drove fine. I think if I would have flushed it, it would have been done.

03 Silverado ECSB, Dmax, Allison, 3.73 G80
    96 Silverado ECSB, 350, 4L60E, 3.73's Powertrax Locker
    05 Cavalier
    74 Corvette Stingray, 350, 4 speed
    49 F-1, flathead 6, 4 speed, 2wd, unknown rear end. Old rust bucket.

Well work is about 10km or 6mi away but I didn't bother checking it this morning. Last night after the change I drove it around town for a bit then on the highway for a short run then back home and when I checked it was registering still on the cold mark so I added maybe another pint.

Problem is here it's -25C which I think is -13F so in my mind it may take a bit longer to get things really nicely warmed up which is why tonight I'll be doing some work and driving all over so after 45min+ of driving I'll check the levels and get underneath again and make sure everything seems ship shape before this weekend when I take it a few hundred miles.

But this morning after adding that extra pint of fluid when I was backing out of the driveway it did feel stronger then normal, usually with my driveway I just put it in reverse and under it's own power no gas it backs out just nice, this morning I had to ride the breaks coming out of the driveway it wanted to go alot quicker then normal. All the forward gears though shifted like before and I wouldn't have been able to tell a difference

There was a technique on the old Dodge R/T pages regarding changing ALL the trans fluid it consisted of taking the hose to the trans cooler off run the truck and fill at the same time, I tried it messsy but it changes all the trans fluid,

an alternate was to take the hose off and let the fluid drain overnight, then start the proceedure it is a lot cheaper than having a shop flush which by the way I have had done to most of my used vehicles without any problems

Well, it's done, but I'll add my vote to changing the fluid and pan, but I typically install a drain plug kit like a B&M 80250 so I can swap some fluid overa period of time. What I would NOT recommend is a pressure flush like they are doing all over the place now.

Did mine too. BTW kcb37, it has 68K on it. Dropped the pan, new filter and flushed through the cooler lines. It is friggin awesome! Serviced both diffs and the tc also. Shifts are smooth. Little bit more power. Excellent. Thanks guys.
    '98 K2500 ECLB Silverado, 7.4L Vortec, 4L80E, G80-4.10, 4" Rancho, 33X12.50 Pro Comp A/T's, 17" Extreme Alloys

They drew first blood....not me....

Looks like you got a real good deal!

My 1992 K1500 5.7L has 131,210 miles. Just bought it from a friend. Fluid has prolly never been changed. Fluid don't smell burnt but looks a little dark. Change fluid and filter? What about draining the Tourq Converter? Thanks

P.S. Shifts fine
    Last edited by contactbluebird; 01-11-2009 at 05:30 PM.

When you first buy a vehicle, it's common to want to change fluids and do "baseline" maintenance...but..

I've seen too many trannys fail after a fluid change. This is especially true of high mileage vehicles that never received periodic servicing to the AT.

I would agree that it goes against what one might think, but in the case of AT's, I vote leave well enough alone, just keep the level up.

If you DO change it, remember that you are only changing about 30% of the actual fluid, without a full flush.

Also, if you do change it, please report back over the next 2000 miles, and let us know how it goes...
    93 K1500 Silverado 5 spd OD
    - Global Warming my A**! -

decided to have it changed today. the guy that done it said the fluid wasn't that bad. he said he had seen alot worse. seems like it shifts smoother now. i don't put alot of miles on my personal vehicles, so i might have it changed again next year since i didn't get the "full flush".

132,122 miles and still runnin sweet!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12