GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

need advice for cleaning inside engine block.

This is a discussion on need advice for cleaning inside engine block. within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I tore down my Vortec 350, to polish and paint the block, before rebuilding engine. I made the mistake of ...

On the road again!

need advice for cleaning inside engine block.

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I tore down my Vortec 350, to polish and paint the block, before rebuilding engine. I made the mistake of thinking I could easily get steel particles/dust out from inside the block without removing cam, pistons etc. I want to leave the bottom intact as engine worked perfectly... it was just ugly. However, after placing huge parts washer beneath engine, and trying to spray out steel particles... it didn't work too well. I've also tried sticking a small magnet inside and collecting the dust - that didn't work so great. What should I do to ensure this engine doesn't get destroyed with steel floating around in the oil after rebuild?
    SSSHHHHHHH! I'm on a secret mission!

Re: need advice for cleaning inside engine block.

Quote Originally Posted by shortbox
    I tore down my Vortec 350, to polish and paint the block, before rebuilding engine. I made the mistake of thinking I could easily get steel particles/dust out from inside the block without removing cam, pistons etc. I want to leave the bottom intact as engine worked perfectly... it was just ugly. However, after placing huge parts washer beneath engine, and trying to spray out steel particles... it didn't work too well. I've also tried sticking a small magnet inside and collecting the dust - that didn't work so great. What should I do to ensure this engine doesn't get destroyed with steel floating around in the oil after rebuild?

If you have that much in there I would disassembly the engine, clean everything and reassemble it with assembly lube. That's just what I would do if it was mine at this point. What did you use to get the inside so dirty ?? If you actually used a parts washer one the assembled lower end then that is reason enough right there to disasseble the engine. The solvent is in all the passages and bearing clearances and that in itself will ruin the engine if you start it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbolt
    The solvent is in all the passages and bearing clearances and that in itself will ruin the engine if you start it.

this sounds like an honest mistake, but i agree with thunderbolt solevent in your bearings= bad time
    The Redneck Word of the day is Mayyonase,
    Mayyonase some big old tires on that truck!

On the road again!

I was *really* hoping you guys wouldn't say that. I thought bearing grease was only used until the engine ran a little, and then engine oil took over, to lubricate all parts inside block. Guess I was wrong. Well, I spose better safe than sorry. No time like the present to learn how to rebuild the bottom end.

I was polishing the casting marks off the engine block/heads/intake before painting with POR15.I couldn't get into all the nooks/crannys... so I tore it down to the block. The block is on an engine stand, sitting upright, and the particles mostly stuck to the cam and bottoms of connecting rods. There wasn't alot of dust that made it in there... I just don't know how much(if any) is acceptable.

I sprayed solvent upwards and let it run down into a rubbermaid. I didn't dunk the engine into it or anything. Guess I was hoping to be told something like "Ohhh just get one of those handy/dandy oil filters with a magnet attached. lol shiat

live and learn
    Last edited by Bad Ass Z71; 02-07-2008 at 09:51 AM.

[QUOTE=shortbox] No time like the present to teach myself rebuilding the bottom end I spose.

-it's not as bad as u think, if i can do it almost anyone can figure it out. But my motor came out of my 2000. lesson learned about sucking in water! lol o well sh*t happens right

On the road again!

Yeah, you're right. I just didn't want to mess with something that worked absolutely perfectly.

On the road again!

Anyone think I should put a different cam or anything in while I have it apart? I've noticed Edelbrock kits at Canadian Tire(dunno if you're familair with that store). The kits are cheap enough. Would it be easier to rebuild with original parts though!?

i know there's a limit you can go to based on if your truck is new enough to have a knock-sensor. not sure though someone on here probly could tell u what kind of lift/duration combo would work for ya

turning 10's

Personally, I would button it back up. Fill it with oil. Prime it good. Drop the pan. Stick in back into the hole and drive it. Build a spare short block.
    A bunch of 1st gen big block Camaro's

On the road again!

Is that serious? It'd be nice if 20 people would rush in and post the same thing. heheh

the same thing...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by shortbox
    Anyone think I should put a different cam or anything in while I have it apart? I've noticed Edelbrock kits at Canadian Tire(dunno if you're familair with that store). The kits are cheap enough. Would it be easier to rebuild with original parts though!?
    I go to PartSource (a branch of Canadian Tire) for a lot of the general replacement parts like gaskets, spiders, and u-bolt type stuff. I don't know how far I trust them as far as performance stuff though. I realize it's still Edelbrock, but it's just one of those things.
    1994 GMC SCSB. 350, 3.08's Transgo Hd2, 2k stall TC, Heddman longtubes/SLP LM1 duals, Ult TBI mods, XtremeFI AFPR, 2inch drop shackles
    Quote Originally Posted by javi05
    i dont care what anybody says but man sex will be on my mind till i am 70. crazy stuff on craigs list. lol.

On the road again!

whether its bought from Ebay, Part Source or local performance shop... if its Edelbrock, it's all

the same thing!

That was for you gray silverado. haha

Quote Originally Posted by blown68ssrs
    Personally, I would button it back up. Fill it with oil. Prime it good. Drop the pan. Stick in back into the hole and drive it. Build a spare short block.

I could maybe go for that if he puts the pan on, fills it with oil and primes it with a priming tool. I would maybe even put a quart of diesel fuel in the oil before priming it. I would then drain it and fill with fresh oil and prime again. After that pull the pan and clean it before reinstalling it. It may run forever if he just puts it back the way it is, but then again it may not either. It is six of one, half dozen of another. I know what I would do if it was me, but if he doesn't know what he is doing then he is probably better off not disassembling it.

On the road again!

If you were to flip the engine upside down on stand... you might be able to count 20-30 visible specs that are gritty. Theres no saying how much grit isn't visible though. This engine has always been well maintained and has about 50,000 on it since mid 2000. After paint it is the equivalent to a new crate motor... atleast to me it is. Its the heart of my pride and joy that is being completely rebuilt. I think I'm better off not taking chances. I don't know how to do the bottom end... but I'm heavily mechanically inclined and have never faced a challenge I haven't been able to overcome in regards to vehicles. Its just that time is of the essence because I'd like the truck completed by spring.

turning 10's

If you are near Kinburn, go chat with the boys at West Carlton. They've been around forever and they built all the hard core motors in your area. If you've seen the process of fly cutting pistons on a fresh short block, you probably won't as worry as what you have on hand. Good luck.

On the road again!

could you get more in depth about that, please.

turning 10's

If you want expert advice, the boys at West Carlton are very well known and reputable. Fly cutting pistons make a good mess (fine aluminum bits and cutting oil) in the hole. Probably comparable to what you have.

step out of the vehicle Mr.Hill's Avatar

I agree with blown68,put a pan on it, and prime it well. then drain...hell you could repeat if you feel its needed.

But then again,(im guessing)you pulled the motor from its hole, and tore it down this far. If so,then the bottom end should be simple. Really, its just like everything else, just nuts and bolts.... the guys on here could easily walk you thru it, or better yet get a manual, and follow the fairly simple instructions. you can do it.
    Last edited by Mr.Hill; 02-08-2008 at 03:56 PM.