If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Do big block Chevy motors not like synthetic oil?

This is a discussion on Do big block Chevy motors not like synthetic oil? within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I bought a 2005 8.1L last November ... I've put about 10,000 miles on it so far. I'm on my ...

Do big block Chevy motors not like synthetic oil?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I bought a 2005 8.1L last November ... I've put about 10,000 miles on it so far.

I'm on my third oil change with synthetic Mobil 1 5W30 ... the last two oil changes I've done, my "Check Oil Level" light has come on about 3,000 miles in even though my oil life indicator still read like %60 or so ...

My question is, do the BBC motors just not like synthetic? I ran Mobil 1 5W30 for nearly 250,000 miles on my last two vehicles combined and neither one of them ever burned a drop of oil ...

Any thoughts?
    2005 Silverado 2500 HD LT

Tow pig, no mods.

Re: Do big block Chevy motors not like synthetic oil?

From your post I can't tell whether the motor is burning oil or whether it just thinks it is.

Did you check the oil level? Is it low?
    Quote Originally Posted by kdyjonbama
    If guns kill people does that mean pencils misspell words

these motors have a problem using oil. alot of the times the intake bolts back out a little and it stats to burn oil. Even when the intake bolts are fine these things have always been known to use oil. Also it happens no matter what brand oil you use.

1999 tahoe limited. DD (sold) replaced with 09 crew cab.
    1988 gmc rcsb winter/plow truck
    1995 gmc ecsb project truck

The later Big blocks have a lot of clearance and will use some oil. Make it a habit to check it often to get the feel for consumption to keep any low oil problems away.

Ronnie
    "96 ECSB Totalled 11/06 "99 ECSB K1500 5.3 Base Silverado with 320K miles on the clock "01 GMC CCSB K2500 6.0 153K with 19.5" Michelin Medium Duty Tires "95 Cummins TD 310/751

Sorry, should have clarified ... I just said the engine oil life meter was still at %60 to show that I hadn't really been stressing the truck that badly and it was still using oil ... That oil life meter takes into account cumulative engine load (I think) ...

Either way, I have been towing with this truck quite a bit, but not more than about 4,500 lbs ...

But yes it actually IS losing oil ... I check the dipstick and it's a quart low when the "Check Oil Level" light comes on.
    2005 Silverado 2500 HD LT

Tow pig, no mods.

Time for some Moly rings

The oil life monitor is set up for regular oil algorythms and doesnt analyze the type of oil your using. I use mobil one also but skip my oil life monitor light(reset) and wait until it comes on again usually around 6000-7000 miles.
    O2 GMC RCSB 4.8L V8 AUTO 3.73's
    rebuilt/beefed up 4L60E(at 43,000miles)
    Matching Ninja 500r

Not sure if it helps, but my 454 likes to eat oil too. I run mobil 1 and it eats at least a quart every 1000 miles.
    "there's not a battle tank in any army that could stand up to 10 heavily armed rednecks in a Cadillac convertible." - M. Ivins

89 GMC K3500 dually ex cab 454 th400 3" cat back with hooker aerochamber
    open element air cleaner

Big blocks are known for using oil. Luckily they don't use as much oil as they do gas!!!
    1990 Crew Cab, 9" lift , 36" Mickey Thompson MTZ, 20 x 12 Centerlines, Dana 60 & 14 bolt, Traclock & Detroit Locker, 454TBI/400/205

Ram Jet 502/4L80E/205 in the works

http://community.webshots.com/user/425xpedition

I read somewhere about a year ago that according to GM hey considered ~1quart every 3000 miles perfectly normal for the 8.1L. Personally I call it excessive for new trucks to be using that much oil, but it would seem that many do just that. Lucky me my 454 uses less than a quart in 3000 miles even with it's age.

If you have a warranty on the truck you could try taking it to a dealer (though I highly doubt you have one with the age and time you've driven it, I'm just saying.)

Here's a quote I found from a guy back in '02 (seems they haven't bothered addressing this concern)
    I noticed the NEW 8.1 Liter (496) engine was using oil when the oil light came on during a trek into rural Oklahoma. Luckily I had someone else get me some oil so I wouldn't damage the engine. I immediately took the truck back to the dealer the following buisness day. Reliable Chevrolet in Richardson Texas took a look at it and couldn't find an oil leak, engine still clean as a whistle. Maybe they didn't fill it up when I bought it? Who checks on a new car, right? Dealer wanted to start an oil consumption test on the truck. I played along not knowing what to expect. In less than 1000 miles it used a quart of oil. Contacted the dealer, they said it was within GMC spec's. They said I had to use more than a quart per 100 gallons of fuel in order for it to be out of spec's. The GM Customer Service 1-800-222-1020 GM number is totally useless, that the dealer will ask you to call for assistance. They send you back and forth all the while never telling you anything. Now I'm having to go through the trouble of doing all this research and callling people and raising hell just because GM doesn't want to fix a PCV valve problem that they know exist. GM rep's told me they knew what the problem was but they can't fix it because it's not an official recall item or my oil problem isn't bad enough yet?

Homesick NBer
    Edmonton, AB (but still an easterner at heart)

what are you engine oil cooler lines looking like, not the 3 allsion transmission cooler lines but the 2 engine oil cooler lines. One of the managers that works at our dealer drives an 06 3/4 ton with the 8.1 allison combo(stardard combo with the 8.1), only has 20 000kms on it, still has warranty, all his cooler lines are p*ssing bad, loosing a couple litres every 5000kms, but within specs, and the oil on the cooler lines is "sweat" so we aren't allowed to fix them until they actually start dripping bad, acording to GM, and of course our shop manager decides if its warranty, or when its time for the warranty.
    2003 Chev Silverado 4x4 4.10 gears and it has a 4.8L
    1997 GMC Sierra 4x4 4.3L 4L60E KOSS CD player,16mpg,3.73 gears z71 skid plates <<<sold

4th year apprentice at Chev Dealer

bb have always used oil the newer ones arent as bad