If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Intake Manifold needs cleaning

This is a discussion on Intake Manifold needs cleaning within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; ok i went to clean my TB (01 silverado 5.3)today and i saw the Intake Manifold was all gumed up..its ...

Cognito Lift comming soon

Question Intake Manifold needs cleaning

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    ok i went to clean my TB (01 silverado 5.3)today and i saw the Intake Manifold was all gumed up..its there any other way of cleaning this besides sprayin TB cleaner in it... its a 01 silverado Z71 5.3
    Last edited by Z71 Chevy97; 04-29-2008 at 06:12 PM.

2001 Z71

Re: Intake Manifold needs cleaning

They're all that way. You can thank the EGR system for that. Honestly its really not hurting anything except maybe choking down the runners. When I pulled the valves out of my donor vortec heads to port them I dug through a good 1/4 inch of crude that was lining the walls of the intake ports before I hit the casting. The heads had 203k miles on them. I hate EGR. Like I said its not going to hurt anything, they're all like that but its stupid it even builds up in the first place.
    1995 Silverado - ported vortec heads, 4L80E, efans, LT4 Hot Cam, Rear disc brake conversion w/drilled and slotted rotors
    1999 NBS Silverdo - transgo HD2 shift kit, 3 inch dynomax ultra flow, Ford keys and 305/70-16 Mickey ATZs

can you remove the EGR and block it off? dunno how this works anyways lol..i need a new one but $147.00 for the Delphi EGR is kinda crazy

2001 Z71

get a rag and some cleaner and start scrubbin. I just took apart the tb on the work truck and cleaned unerneath there it was dirty with 250,000 miles and never been cleaned. 3 black rags later and the truck runs smoother and better mpg too.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4chevydude
    get a rag and some cleaner and start scrubbin. I just took apart the tb on the work truck and cleaned unerneath there it was dirty with 250,000 miles and never been cleaned. 3 black rags later and the truck runs smoother and better mpg too.
    ya i just might have to do that..i sprayed soem TB/intake cleaner in there and it looks a lil better and seem like it runs smoother

also took off the whole EGR system that bolts to the block and cleand the tube that goes into the Intake manifold

this shop was paid to clean this for me while he was doin my water pump, tie rods, pitman arm ect ect, but dont think he did
    Last edited by Z71 Chevy97; 04-30-2008 at 06:54 AM.

2001 Z71

You can remove the EGR valve, but it will throw a check engine light. But like old red said it isnt really gonna hurt anything being in there.
    97 Gmc Sierra 1500
    Current mods: Flowmaster 40's, K&N FIPK, S10 converter, wait4me tune, LT1 fans, 2" drop shackles, Alpine CDA-9856 head unit.