GM Inside - Muscle Cars - Jeep

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Has Power but won't start, no crank or clicks?

This is a discussion on Has Power but won't start, no crank or clicks? within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; 1992 1500 Silverado 5.7L (350) Auto - Will not start, I do have power to everything but when I turn ...

Has Power but won't start, no crank or clicks?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    1992 1500 Silverado 5.7L (350) Auto - Will not start, I do have power to everything but when I turn the key, the starter will not crank, no clicking of the Solenoid. This happens when I drive more than 10 miles or when the weather is like today, Hot and Humid, currently it is 82 - 88 degrees, 58 percent humidity. The last time this happened when I drove about 2 miles, the temp then was about 90 degrees, about 50 percent humidity.

When I parked my truck last night, everything appeared to be fine and didn't drive it after getting home, I get into my truck today to head to work and nothing, I have all electrical, just no crank or click when I turn the key... This is driving me crazy trying to figure this out! When the weather is cool, I have no problems, just when the truck gets hot. Any suggestions?

At one point, it was suspected to be the starter solenoid and today another suggestion was that the neutral switch may need to be replaced?
    Russell

'92 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.7L V8, 2WD
    Define irony: a bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to
    a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.
    - Garland Greene / Conair

Re: Has Power but won't start, no crank or clicks?

My first guess would be solenoid or the starter. As far as the neutral safety switch, try starting it in neutral once.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbolt
    My first guess would be solenoid or the starter. As far as the neutral safety switch, try starting it in neutral once.
    Ok, I'm getting frustrated with this truck. Since I first tried to start the truck, I had the hood cracked till now. I was going to try your suggestion and was able to start the truck. What the Heck is going on with that beast? I don't know where to start in order to resolve this occasional issue... it's not like it occurs everytime, but its frustrating, like it's playing a game with me...
    Russell

Quote Originally Posted by rjsasaoka
    Ok, I'm getting frustrated with this truck. Since I first tried to start the truck, I had the hood cracked till now. I was going to try your suggestion and was able to start the truck. What the Heck is going on with that beast? I don't know where to start in order to resolve this occasional issue... it's not like it occurs everytime, but its frustrating, like it's playing a game with me...

It still could be the starter. My mother inlaws Mercury sable was doing something similar and it was the starter. Do the lights dim when you turn the key ?? Hers did not and after replacing the starter it was good as new.

It still could be the starter. My mother inlaws Mercury sable was doing something similar and it was the starter. Do the lights dim when you turn the key ?? Hers did not and after replacing the starter it was good as new.
    Everything has full power as far as I can tell. Nothing dims when I turn on the Headlights or when I use the turn signals. I have noticed the voltmeter is a little high right after the orange zone starts and will dip to normal when the turn signals are activated.

Other than that, on any other day, the truck would crank right up without an issue.
    Last edited by rjsasaoka; 07-15-2008 at 12:22 PM.
    Russell

I had that happen once and it was a loose positive battery cable.
    1999 2 Door Tahoe 4x4 w/ 14 Bolt SF & TruTrac. Corvette servo, Gibson cat-back, custom tune from Black Bear, AD244 alt. upgrade, Z71 skid plates, Escalade cluster, 2" block + 1.5" crank, 285/75R16 SOLD 1/2012
    2008 Silverado 1500 Z71, Borla catback, block and coil spacer

Quote Originally Posted by daved931
    I'll take a look at that too. My friend here at work suggested it maybe a bad neutral switch or the ground on the starter maybe loose, so, I'll look into all 3 of those suggestions.
    Russell

I forgot about that one. I have seen a loose or corroded pos. battery terminal cause some strange problems.

I'll take a look at that too. My friend here at work suggested it maybe a bad neutral switch or the ground on the starter maybe loose, so, I'll look into all 3 of those suggestions.
    With mine, the lights would come on, radio would come on, everything lit up, just no start, no click, nothing.

I popped the hood, checked the battery cables and the positive wiggled like crazy in my hand. I tightened it and the truck started right up.

One thing I did find later was that it was arcing like a son of a b!tch when it was loose. I couldn't tell because the hood was closed at the time. When I got home, I took it all apart because there was a pile of corrosion between the two positive battery cables and I found all kinds of burns from the arcs.

The PO had put in a WalMart (N)EverStart and had rounded the bolt to crap, too.
    1999 2 Door Tahoe 4x4 w/ 14 Bolt SF & TruTrac. Corvette servo, Gibson cat-back, custom tune from Black Bear, AD244 alt. upgrade, Z71 skid plates, Escalade cluster, 2" block + 1.5" crank, 285/75R16 SOLD 1/2012
    2008 Silverado 1500 Z71, Borla catback, block and coil spacer

With mine, the lights would come on, radio would come on, everything lit up, just no start, no click, nothing.

I popped the hood, checked the battery cables and the positive wiggled like crazy in my hand. I tightened it and the truck started right up.

One thing I did find later was that it was arcing like a son of a b!tch when it was loose. I couldn't tell because the hood was closed at the time. When I got home, I took it all apart because there was a pile of corrosion between the two positive battery cables and I found all kinds of burns from the arcs.

The PO had put in a WalMart (N)EverStart and had rounded the bolt to crap, too.
    For my truck, this is the first time I've ssen a connector like this, has bolts that screw into the battery terminal and not by sliding a clamp onto the battery terminal.

Would the temp and humidity have an affect like this as well?
    Russell

i dont think so, i think you should check your battery, if its good replace your starter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xander Berkeley
    I'd better make hay while the sun shines.

Quote Originally Posted by XLR8N
    i dont think so, i think you should check your battery, if its good replace your starter.
    I'll be able to do that this weekend (if the truck cooperates till then) and have the shop test the starter and solenoid. While it's off the truck, I'll check that and the cables... I hope that I can resolve this once and for all...
    Russell

HittingBadPitchesSince82 atenisplyr's Avatar

Yeah, my truck does the same thing to me. Always starts up,just likes to mess with me. I stopped messing with it a LONG time ago. That's the only battle the truck will defeat me in.
    '97 GMC ECSB GMT400
    Andrew

I forgot about that one. I have seen a loose or corroded pos. battery terminal cause some strange problems.
    I place my bet on corroded positive battery cable. Take it all the way apart, scrub it and replace the bolt.

'96 Tahoe...5.7 Vortec...4wd...~205,000...Stock

I had a similiar problem with my 89 suburban this weekend. Started just fine previous times, then the next day, I go to start, and nothing like yours. I had power at the key and the starter and solenoid, but when I turned the key to start there was nothing. I checked voltage at the battery, starter/solenoid and at the coil. It turned out to be a loose connection on the back of the starter. The bolt that the battery cable connects to was loose. The most aggrevating thing about mine was, that I actually removed and tested my starter and neither I or the guy at the parts store caught the loose connection. I get home and reinstall the starter thinking it can't be it. After exhausting all ideas and suggestions, I took a look at all my connections and made sure they were tight. I'm sure if this ever happens again I'll make sure that I check that connection. But if yours is tight it still might be an issue inside the solenoid.

Brian
    1989 Chevy Suburban
    700r4 3.42 gears
    125,000 and growing

I may have the same problem, or maybe not. Occasionally, when I turn the key all it will do is click once. Click, click, click... All lights, radio, power windows, etc. still work, but it won't turn over. Here's what I've done thus far: new battery, new positive and negative post bolts, new positive wire connector (cleaned all battery connections). Sunday, it began to click again so I put in a new starter and it worked fine. That is, until yesterday afternoon. Climate doesn't affect it - I've had it happen early in the morning when I'm leaving for work or mid-afternoon in the upper 80's and humid.

I haven't had the old starter tested yet, to see if it was actually bad. It's got me stumped and I'm developing a nervous twitch due to the stress of knowing that at any given point, it might strand me somewhere and probably at the most inconvenient time. You know, it hit 230,000 miles and it seems all of a sudden it's falling apart.

1998 Chevrolet Silverado 305 CID..
    Exhaust by Flowmaster.. Toolbox furnished by Delta..
    Tonneau Cover custom made by Sport Masters (Newton Falls, OH)..
    New air recently installed in tires.

I thought you were Chevy guys around here?. The starter solenoid is one of chevrolets well known gremlins. 9 times out of 10 the solenoid is the culprit and the positive cable also tends to get loose at the solenoid, so check it there. The factory solenoid, takes a beating because of the heat from the engine and exhaust. Also, if the lights don't go dim when you try to crank it, that tells you power isn't getting through the solenoid to the starter, because it would pull amps from the battery if the starter was trying to engage and cause the lights to go dim. I came across this thread because I am having the same problem, but I plan to do a Ford solenoid conversion and mount a Ford type solenoid on the fenderwell away from the heat of the exhaust. They sell these kits at Summit & Jegs, but you can do it yourself a lot cheaper.

i was about to say why not buy a ford solenoid and some wire?

Quote Originally Posted by Hauling_Azz
    I thought you were Chevy guys around here?. The starter solenoid is one of chevrolets well known gremlins. 9 times out of 10 the solenoid is the culprit and the positive cable also tends to get loose at the solenoid, so check it there. The factory solenoid, takes a beating because of the heat from the engine and exhaust. Also, if the lights don't go dim when you try to crank it, that tells you power isn't getting through the solenoid to the starter, because it would pull amps from the battery if the starter was trying to engage and cause the lights to go dim. I came across this thread because I am having the same problem, but I plan to do a Ford solenoid conversion and mount a Ford type solenoid on the fenderwell away from the heat of the exhaust. They sell these kits at Summit & Jegs, but you can do it yourself a lot cheaper.

Solenoid has been mentioned several times from the first reply on. The Pos battery cable at the battery is also a well known problem. As far as the starter goes, The last time I priced a solenoid it was only twelve bucks for for the starter and it came with a solenoid so If I did one I would do both. The starters themselves are prone to heat problems as well especially when you run LT headers.

a starter is 12 bucks?!! where?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast