GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

90 Chevy Truck dies when it gets warm

This is a discussion on 90 Chevy Truck dies when it gets warm within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I have a 1990 Chevy 5.7L 4WD that dies once it gets warm. I replaced the coil and cleaned up ...

90 Chevy Truck dies when it gets warm

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I have a 1990 Chevy 5.7L 4WD that dies once it gets warm. I replaced the coil and cleaned up the distributor, which was corroded and it still seems to die once warm. It runs like a champ until it dies out on me. Just lookin for some advice where to start. This is my firewood truck that gets used a couple months out of the year and it's gettin close to that time. Someone told me that it may be the fuel pump but why it seems to be getting fuel fine til it gets warm and dies out.
    Thanks,
    Jeff

Re: 90 Chevy Truck dies when it gets warm

Whenever you have a problem that is related to engine temp you should clean the TB and pull the IAC off of it and clean that too. Then make sure your coolant temp sensor is still good.

check the ign module. sometimes the "electronics" will break down when they get hot

Quote Originally Posted by jefnmic View Post
    I have a 1990 Chevy 5.7L 4WD that dies once it gets warm. I replaced the coil and cleaned up the distributor, which was corroded and it still seems to die once warm. It runs like a champ until it dies out on me. Just lookin for some advice where to start. This is my firewood truck that gets used a couple months out of the year and it's gettin close to that time. Someone told me that it may be the fuel pump but why it seems to be getting fuel fine til it gets warm and dies out.
    Thanks,
    Jeff
    Jeff,
    I have the same issue. I have a 1990 4x4 K1500 with 5.7L V8 and when it is warmed-up it dies at idle. I have replaced Idle Cont Sensor (didn't help), cleaned everything (didn't help). Were you able to get the issue resolved?? I'm looking for some advise from someone. It is like my TBI is starving for air/gas??

its like mt said, electronics get heat soaked and stop working, on a 90 its likely the ign module, maybe coil but try the module first. you can check the coil if youve got a DVM but i dont know the specs. you can find them in a manual.
    99 GMC Yukon SLE 4dr
    KYB monomax, air lift, tekonosha, reese dual cam, bfg at/ko

87 Firebird, 07 Monte Carlo lt, 98 Bonneville SSE, 04 F550 CC 4wd service body

If it isn't the ignition module in the distributor (which sends power to the fuel pump) then it could be the fuel pump itself getting hot and shutting off because it could be just worn out. Check for power to the fuel pump when it is acting up.
    Last edited by AcezHi; 12-24-2010 at 10:44 AM.

i have a 90 chevy 2500 4x4 that i use as a wood hauler also and mine was doing the same thing. i put a coolant temp sensor on it and it fixed the problem. the part was only 13 bucks and it only took about 2 minutes to change it. that might be a easy thing that you may want to try out first. i hope that this helps you out.

Sounds like an ignition module.When it gets hot,it stalls. In the distributer, one module controls the Ign. and one controls the fuel. I think you can replace the whole distributer for around 75 bucks or so.by the time you buy the module and fight to get the old one out (hopefully not breaking anything), it will be better to replace the whole thing. I had a 94 2500 that did the exact same thing. it will run as long

I had the EXACT same thing with mine as well, and yes it is the ignition control module, but if I'm not mistaken you have to remove the distributor to replace it, so I just did the whole distributor for about $100, because that way you have all new parts such as the gear and bushings and pickup coil, so for the few extra bucks, it's definately worth it! It's actually a pretty simple job to do as well, should only take about an hour or two as long as you have the right distributor wrench, keep track of your wires and have a timing light. Just put everything back in just like it came out, and make sure you're at TDC on #1 before your start.

I had the same problem with my 91 R3500 when I first got it. I unplugged the temp sensor for the ECM and the problem stopped. Ran fine but had a check engine light. I replaced it and still had the same issue. After scratching my head for a while; I removed the sensor and found that the motor (coolant system) was air bound/ vapor locked. I bled the system and the issue stopped for awhile and then came back. Motor was air bound again. I figured out that the upper radiator hose was about 2 inches higher than the top of the radiator; creating an air pocket. I cut the rad hose down to size and (knock on wood) haven't had the problem since.

Definetly sounds like the module.replace the dist.

okay guys, My 1990 K1500, 5.7L 4x4 with 177K miles dies at idle after the truck has warmed-up. I have replaced tons of stuff. The intake manifold was leaking Antifreeze, I corrected that, put a New Ignition Control Module, Idle Control Value, New Coolant Sensor for PCM circuit, New ACDelco Stock Plugs and wires, New EGR value, New PCV value, New Air Filter. Still does it.

I had read that someone stated it is in your transmission?? When you slow down (and then stop) a sensor in the transmission tells the engine to up the RPMs, when that is not happening, the truck will die at idle.....What does everyone else think??? Would like some feed back......

Holy thread jack.. 2 years!

Tranny in a 90 is not sophisticated like that, except for the VSS (if your speedometer works, it's good).

What about your vacuum hoses? MAP sensor? Test the ignition coil?

Quote Originally Posted by smedli01 View Post
    okay guys, My 1990 K1500, 5.7L 4x4 with 177K miles dies at idle after the truck has warmed-up. I have replaced tons of stuff. The intake manifold was leaking Antifreeze, I corrected that, put a New Ignition Control Module, Idle Control Value, New Coolant Sensor for PCM circuit, New ACDelco Stock Plugs and wires, New EGR value, New PCV value, New Air Filter. Still does it.

I had read that someone stated it is in your transmission?? When you slow down (and then stop) a sensor in the transmission tells the engine to up the RPMs, when that is not happening, the truck will die at idle.....What does everyone else think??? Would like some feed back......
    Fuel Filter
    Last edited by AcezHi; 01-13-2011 at 10:03 AM.

WOW! I never looked at the date before i replied. I guess mshannon02 was really digging deep!! lol

EVERYONE, I replaced the ignition module in the distributor and it still dies, BUT finally fixed the issue after I replaced the whole distributor, cap and rotor for about $130. That did it!!! This thing had been dying on me for about 4 years. Weird how the truck would crank, run fine until it got HOT!!