***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

how do i set timing on a 1997 k1500?

This is a discussion on how do i set timing on a 1997 k1500? within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; i recently rebuilt my friends 1997 chevy k1500 5.7l. when the engine went back together we learned ignition timing could ...

how do i set timing on a 1997 k1500?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    i recently rebuilt my friends 1997 chevy k1500 5.7l. when the engine went back together we learned ignition timing could only be set at the dealer so we just did a couple of trial and error runs while turning the dist. truck now has some slight driveability issues and needs the base timing set properly for a proper diag. does anybody know of any other alternatives other than bringing to truck to the dealer?

Re: how do i set timing on a 1997 k1500?

Quote Originally Posted by Neil814
    i recently rebuilt my friends 1997 chevy k1500 5.7l. when the engine went back together we learned ignition timing could only be set at the dealer so we just did a couple of trial and error runs while turning the dist. truck now has some slight driveability issues and needs the base timing set properly for a proper diag. does anybody know of any other alternatives other than bringing to truck to the dealer?
    The cam retard can be set with many scanners besides the dealer. Do you know anyone with a scanner ?? Most auto shops will have a scanner to set it. The cam retard needs to be set at 0 degrees + or - 2 degrees.

thanks, im sure i can find someone with a snap on scanner. i tried to set it with a gm tech 2 a while ago,but i could not find the where to set the timing on the scan tool, the tech 2 hasnt been used in at least 10 years so i dont even know if it has the right software installed on it.

and the last time i tried to hook it up it would not communicate with the ecm. bad cable i think

Quote Originally Posted by Neil814
    thanks, im sure i can find someone with a snap on scanner. i tried to set it with a gm tech 2 a while ago,but i could not find the where to set the timing on the scan tool, the tech 2 hasnt been used in at least 10 years so i dont even know if it has the right software installed on it.

Snap-On MT2500 can do it.