***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Weird "Chirping" Noise

This is a discussion on Weird "Chirping" Noise within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Hey all. I have this noise in my GMC that I have been hearing.. I havent been too worried by ...

Weird "Chirping" Noise

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Hey all.

I have this noise in my GMC that I have been hearing.. I havent been too worried by it... but unfortunately i need to get rid of my payment, and when they come to look at it and test drive it I dont want any problems

Its like a chirping noise. Coming from the front of the truck. I just recently had to have the trans rebuilt and thought that was gonna fix it... but it didnt.

It used to do it all the time... but since I got new front tires, it doesnt seem to do it AS much (but I really dont think thats related becuase i have gotten it to make the noise revving in neutral).

It does it under acceleration. I used to get scared when it made the noise so i'd ease off the gas and it would slowly go away. Now when I hear it i just keep driving normal and it still subsides and then goes away until Im under acceleration again.

It also doesnt seem to do it in the mornings when it isnt too warm out. But if im driving around in the afternoon, it definately is more prone to making the noise.

A chirping sound is the best I can describe it. I kinda had thought it was a u-joint but it did it while stopped in nuetral.

I figure if it was something wrong internally with the engine it would make it all the time.

Any ideas? I really hope its not too serious becuase I dont have the money to fix it.

THANKS IN ADVANCE for any help or ideas!!!!!
    Last edited by brne4x4; 09-12-2008 at 03:22 PM.
    2003 GMC Sierra K1500 z71

6" RCD Lift. 33" 12.50 BFG Mud Tires on 16" Classic II's
    K&N Cold Air and Flowmaster Catback
    Superchips programmer

Re: Weird "Chirping" Noise

Does it get louder/faster when you rev it? If so check you idler pulley, I've had that problem, it finaly siezed up and and unscrewed itself. Cheap $5 fix, lol.
    1996 Chevy K1500 Silverado Z71 with a Vortec 350, 6" Fabtech lift, and 35" BFGoodwrench Mud-terrains

oh, you didn't know ? blkshadow's Avatar

after it starts the noise open the hood and listen around. look at the main serpetine belt tensioner and see if it is steady or if it is rocking back and forth along with the sound you hear. my ac compressor is on a seperate belt but when it kicks on you can see it's tensioner rocking and then the upper tensioner starts it and that is where i have a noise similar to what you are describing. kinda chirp/clicking sound. my compressor is going bad but until it quits working the warranty want cover it. could be that simple, hope so anyway. keep us informed.
    06 RCSB LT1 5.3l, 2wd
    20" Malanni Bitchin wheels, 275/45/20 Falken tires, Gaylords bedcover

signature by: 91chevZ71

it does get louder/faster... sorry im kinda not in the know when it comes to motors... i know this is a stupid question.. but how do i locate the idler pulley? how do i check for this problem?

Thanks a lot for the help!

I'm fairly handy with tools but have honestly never had the need to do engine work before besides installing my CAI which doesnt count cuz that took 5 minutes

Superchips programmer

It is the pully that is just mounted to a bracket that doesn't do anything but spin. The tensioner is the pulley on a arm that is spring loaded.
    Last edited by goladith; 09-12-2008 at 03:37 PM.
    1996 Chevy K1500 Silverado Z71 with a Vortec 350, 6" Fabtech lift, and 35" BFGoodwrench Mud-terrains

Maybe when i get home from work today ill drive around and see if i can get it to make the noise... ill have my wife go with so she can rev it while we're stopped cuz it doesnt make the noise when we are just idling

Superchips programmer

Does it sound like a tapping or ticking? It could be valvetrain noise, or it could be detonation, indicating a bad knock sensor or crappy if it's more of a chattering under acceleration.

If it's chirping like a belt squeak check your pulleys.
    Last edited by DarkCharisma; 09-12-2008 at 04:17 PM.

'04 CTS-V | '01 2500HD 4x4 6.0/80e

Quote Originally Posted by randeez View Post
    he's got real problems, you think choosing which leather to rewrap in interior is easy?

oh, you didn't know ? blkshadow's Avatar

if it is what i was thinking when you go under the hood and watch the pulley if it is bouncing a little you should hear it it just isn't as loud. does it do it when the ac is off? if so it might be what the other guys are telling ya. check the easy stuff first.
    06 RCSB LT1 5.3l, 2wd
    20" Malanni Bitchin wheels, 275/45/20 Falken tires, Gaylords bedcover

signature by: 91chevZ71

Quote Originally Posted by goladith
    Does it get louder/faster when you rev it? If so check you idler pulley, I've had that problem, it finaly siezed up and and unscrewed itself. Cheap $5 fix, lol.
    X2...Probably the idler, but 2nd guess would be the tension pulley. Since you would be basically removing the belt for the job anyway, it's a good time to change it also.

Thanks for the ideas everyone... if you think of anything else, let me know. ill post up with results.

i wish i didnt have to sell it... then i wouldnt worry as much... but oh well.

Superchips programmer