If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

700R4 not shifting into 3rd and 4th gear

This is a discussion on 700R4 not shifting into 3rd and 4th gear within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I'd say the other leading factors in the 700R4's bad rep would be failure to properly adjust the TV cable, ...

Loves GMT400 haters someotherguy's Avatar

Re: 700R4 not shifting into 3rd and 4th gear

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I'd say the other leading factors in the 700R4's bad rep would be failure to properly adjust the TV cable, and people abusing the trans with burnouts and other hard driving on the stock build. They're strong, but they're not bulletproof. But by a long shot, they're not the junk everyone seems to think they are. It's true that most of them are only good for about 100-150K in stock form but they can easily/inexpensively be upgraded during rebuild to be much stronger; it's been decades, the weak links have long been identified and are easy to deal with.

Richard

I'd Buy That For A Dollar indiglo5997's Avatar

You guys got me torn now, i don't know what to do, The main reason i don't want to go local is Ive asked a few prices for about 4 places and the quotes have been OUTRAGEOUS not to mention this was for a rebuilt to stock form compared what i could get for less money and handle 3 times the power

I got my 4L60E rebuilt and beefed up earlier this year. Its not gonna be cheap if you want it done right and with a warranty.
    Stay away from aamco or anyplace that installs remanufactured ones. I paid more because of the beefed up parts and upgrades and had them replace the selenoids and wiring harness. Ask lots of questions and get prices for upgrades. Check the better business bureau for complaints and ratings of the business.
    O2 GMC RCSB 4.8L V8 AUTO 3.73's
    rebuilt/beefed up 4L60E(at 43,000miles)
    Matching Ninja 500r

Quote Originally Posted by hornsfan10609
    I just read posts on here of people replacing the transmission in their NBS trucks at 60K miles or so. That is ridiculous, Chevy trucks last forever, except for their automatic transmissions. Now that said, my truck is a 91 and it has 91K miles and the trans shifts smooth and runs fine, i have had zero problems, so maybe they're not so bad. They just seem to go out prematurely in many of the 4L60E equipped trucks.
    mine lasted 43000 miles. busted the sunshell. All I heard from the 1-2 shift at WOT was a loud pop then a whistling sound and it never made it too second.
    O2 GMC RCSB 4.8L V8 AUTO 3.73's
    rebuilt/beefed up 4L60E(at 43,000miles)
    Matching Ninja 500r

Loves GMT400 haters someotherguy's Avatar

The sunshell issue applies to 700R4's the exact same as 4L60E's, since it's the same exact weak link.

Last sunshell I had bust on me was in my old '94 Suburban at 142K miles on the original transmission. I had a local buddy of mine build it with all the regular upgrades, nothing radical, for $800 - buddy price. It's a build he would charge anyone else around $1200 for. More than $1500 for a build with upgrades and you're getting bent over. Prices will vary depending on your location..

Richard

I'd Buy That For A Dollar indiglo5997's Avatar

Ya next week i am going to have to go out and get printed quotes from some local shop and compare and contrast my options

It's an old post yes . . . but; for others coming along . . . crying HELP ME - my 700R4 not shifting into 3rd and 4th gear - through Google etc . . . so if you must just get back on the road and will be sensibly softer on the tranny until you can get it fixed "right" - here's the cheap fix - so . . .

Yep, . . . no up-shift to 3-4 is the clutch pack. Easy to reach - if you are cheap. $30 for 3-4 clutch pack kit if you order it on-line usually. Pull tranny, pull (front) pump, - if you are lucky and careful you can pull the front drum assembly whole out by the input shaft carefully through the 2-4 band. If not - the little pin on the bottom worked loose up with screwdriver gets it loose - but you'll catch polite hell sometimes getting it back on - if you do not remove the valve body.

The 3-4 clutches are right there where you turn the front assembly around. One snap ring, replace the clutches, (soak them first for 15 minutes in new tranny fluid) slip it back in carefully through the 2-4 band, pump back in and put it back in the vehicle. Make sure the TV cable is adjusted right. Put in FRESH fluid!!! 2 hours later you are back on the road.

A couple of gallons of tranny tranny fluid will cost more than the clutch pack now-a-days. Get a high energy one with 9 steels for a few bucks more. Alto Upgrade reds or greens - or the Raybestos z-pak. What does that tell you?

Skittish ??? Get Rick Metzings video for $30 from transmissionvideos.com for the 4L60E - the valve body is different but the way he shows tear down and reassembly if you can't follow that - well - I'll be nice here - sell those wrenches to someone who can turn one. There are 700R4 videos too on eBay and other places.

If you loose 2nd, 4th and Reverse, the Sunshell broke at the spline. It's right there too at the same pull - but just still in the tranny. One more snap ring down gets you to it and out. Get a Beast Sunshell [$45 to $55 on-line plus shipping 10 to 15 dollars] (hope you have not stripped the spline) - throw it in, and 2.5 hours later you are back on the road. Definitely get the/a video for this (no I am not selling his product)

I assume you dropped the pan to drain the tranny fluid before removing the tranny. DO NOT re-use the tranny fluid, and if you can blow out the cooler lines with air into soda bottle. Burnt tranny fluid is acidic. If you use a tranny cooler - hook it up through the return line coming out of the radiator - for extra cooling. You should pour most of it out of the converter too.

OF COURSE, if you can afford a rebuild - do that certainly; but remember - somebody just gets a paycheck and is sick of trannys day in and day out - and usually could really give a hoot - so if you can - do it yourself all the way. That way YOU KNOW what is in there. $60 - $100 bucks just to keep you going at a minimum, beats $600 to $1,000 (typically minimum) for someone else to do the same similar job and likely screw it up anyway.

Food for thought
    Last edited by bobburns; 08-08-2009 at 01:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by indiglo5997 View Post
    Today i was driving and i left my house and got on the freeway and when i started to get going with the speed of the moving traffic i hear the RPM on my engine go up and i look down at the gauges thinking why is this happening come to the conclusion i had no 3rd or 4th gear. I didn't notice until i got on the freeway since the highest speed i hit till then was about 35MPH and second gear was enough, anyway i was wondering what could be the problem, when i got back home i checked the fluid level and it was fine clean with no sign of anything being burnt. When i put it into 2nd and then manually shift to drive and then overdrive the tranny makes no attempt to go to the 3rd and 4th gear. But i have reverse, 1st and 2nd and those gear shift smooth clean and crisp with no problem. Anyone have this happen before? I have been thinking and i want to say it sounds like a valve in the tranny is stuck or something along those lines, it has about 111,XXX miles on it that have been rather easy non abusive miles. Thanks for the help
    I just left work today pulling out of the lot I heard a pop and then no drive or overdrive had to drive home in second 700 r4 any ideas what the pop wouldve been

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12