If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

88 K1500 Air Pump Removal

This is a discussion on 88 K1500 Air Pump Removal within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; 88 Silverado, K1500, RCSB, 305, 700R4. The top bolt mount on my air pump has broken off in the block ...

1988 Chevy Silverado 4x4 PoolJunkie's Avatar

88 K1500 Air Pump Removal

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    88 Silverado, K1500, RCSB, 305, 700R4.

The top bolt mount on my air pump has broken off in the block and is only held on by the bottom mount. Can I omit this air pump system totally and put a shorter serp belt on. Any idea of the part number for the shorter belt would help as well.

Thanks
    Duane

Re: 88 K1500 Air Pump Removal

I removed the smog pump on my 88 c1500 TBI 350 700r4 truck with one minor problem that took me awhile to figure out.

I left an idler installed that needed to be removed. It cause me to go through two belts in eight months before I figured it out. I had lifetime Gates belts and got one freebie though, but I knew it was my fault so I paid for the second one.

I use a belt from a '95 model, IIRC, which still had the same pulley arrangement, but due to OBD, it didn't need the air pump anymore.

My truck is an ECM truck, and it still seems to know something is amiss. After about 30 miles in a single trip I get a check engine light, but no performance issues.

The paper clip diagnostic tool always reveals an EGR problem, which is related to the smog system, but the EGR system is intact and has been replaced since....still get the nuiscance light.

No other real problems...Oh yeah, I did have to McGuyver my stainless fittings that go into the exhaust manifold. The thread pitch is extremely hard to locate hi-temp plugs to keep the exhaust in the manifold. I took the originals and sawed them off in a vise, flattened and folded the ends and stuck them back in. Only danger to this is ripping a knuckle...Maybe someone else here knows where to find plugs, cause I could sure use that info, or even the thread specs, because I am good friends with a machinist.

I can go snap a picture and get the belt part number tonight because I have to install a headlight anyway...

PieAce!
    Last edited by OkiePC; 10-24-2008 at 04:43 PM.

1988 Chevy Silverado 4x4 PoolJunkie's Avatar

Thanks for the info. That gives me pretty much everything I need to know. Maybe instead of messing around with the manifold fittings it could be swapped over as well.

On your 88 it can be removed. If memory serves, you need to use a whizz wheel to cut the engine bracket so that everything looks normal and neat. I hate clutter. You can cut the engine bracket without removing it or the A/C compressor. Removing all that stuff opens things up and eliminates a parasitic drag on the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by PoolJunkie
    88 Silverado, K1500, RCSB, 305, 700R4.

The top bolt mount on my air pump has broken off in the block and is only held on by the bottom mount. Can I omit this air pump system totally and put a shorter serp belt on. Any idea of the part number for the shorter belt would help as well.

Thanks
    Duane
    You sure can! The bearings in mine seized up, so I ran a shorter belt and bypassed it altogether (like it says on my factory belt diagram under w/o A.I.R.) It runs much better. As for the belt number, just go to autozone and get one with AC, then find one that has options for w/PS and w/o AP.
    "Big Red":
    1988 Chevrolet C2500 Scottsdale, 2WD Single cab longbed, stock 5.7 liter 350 V8, 700-R4, GM 14 bolt rear with 3.73 gear ratio, Pathfinder All-Terrain Tires.

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePC
    I left an idler installed that needed to be removed. It cause me to go through two belts in eight months before I figured it out.
    I am curious. Which idler did you leave on that caused this? I bypassed the pump earlier today, and I just ran a shorter belt like the belt diagram said on my fan shroud. It worked great.

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePC
    My truck is an ECM truck, and it still seems to know something is amiss. After about 30 miles in a single trip I get a check engine light, but no performance issues.
    Yeah, mine did this once. But it was after i stopped quick to pick something up. It stayed on for about a minute, then went off and hasn't been back on. I drove for another hour with no light. Do you think it could be related to the 02 sensor, since it's job is to detect oxygen in the exhaust?
    Last edited by JKnowles87; 12-22-2008 at 09:42 PM.
    "Big Red":
    1988 Chevrolet C2500 Scottsdale, 2WD Single cab longbed, stock 5.7 liter 350 V8, 700-R4, GM 14 bolt rear with 3.73 gear ratio, Pathfinder All-Terrain Tires.

[QUOTE=JKnowles87]I am curious. Which idler did you leave on that caused this? I bypassed the pump earlier today, and I just ran a shorter belt like the belt diagram said on my fan shroud. It worked great.[QUOTE]

I think he's referring to the one next to the A/C compressor, can someone verify? The longtubes go on and y-pipe gets fabbed January 2nd so I'll be looking to eliminate this as well in the very near future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quyonmob View Post
    Straight pipes are for peckerheads. . .
    '98 K1500 ECSB 5.7, 4L80E, 14BSF, 4.10/G80, 7,200# GVW springs, 8600# GVW calipers/pads, 411/EFI Live, TB mod, UDs, block, crank, 285s, and a lot of stuff on the shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by speedracer326
    I think he's referring to the one next to the A/C compressor, can someone verify? The longtubes go on and y-pipe gets fabbed January 2nd so I'll be looking to eliminate this as well in the very near future.
    Thats strange you would have to remove it. The factory belt diagram on the fan shroud just says it goes between it and the AC pulley if not AIR equipped. But if I need to remove it, It'd be nice to know before it tears up my belt, haha.
    "Big Red":

Well....based on what OkiePC had said, I checked the belt and discovered some belt fraying near that free idler just below the AC compressor. The belt also begun squealing again, to my extreme dismay. I removed the idler, and it works better. Still has a tiny tiny noise though; I think its the alternator pulley, because when I turned it with the belt loosened it made a little noise. Thats just a simple unbolt and bolt on, right?
    "Big Red":