GM Inside - Muscle Cars - Jeep

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Error code P 2135 throttle position sensor.....Anyone?

This is a discussion on Error code P 2135 throttle position sensor.....Anyone? within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; 2004 GMC, crew, 4x4, 100k miles About 4 months ago my truck out of the blue went into limp mode. ...

Error code P 2135 throttle position sensor.....Anyone?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    2004 GMC, crew, 4x4, 100k miles

About 4 months ago my truck out of the blue went into limp mode. I pulled over basically restarted the the truck a few times and apparently the computer reset and exit limp mode. The check engine light stayed on for a day or so then went out.

Has not happened since but yesterday while at a stop sign it went into limp mode again. Took it to the dealer but was going to be a couple of hours before they could check it. Jumped in the truck and surprise out of limp mode but engine light still on.

After work took it back to the dealer to get it scanned, engine light goes out and all appears normal.

Scan revealed 2 P2135- throttle position sensors 1-2 correlation. Mechanic seemed stumped/ confused. So he cleared the codes and said he would look into it and bring it back if it does it more often.

This morning right when i fired it up it went into limp mode. 3 cycles on the start and goes out of limp mode.

Anyone deal with this before?

Thanks
    Last edited by Tuesdayx; 11-02-2008 at 09:08 PM.

Re: Error code P 2135 throttle position sensor.....Anyone?

There was a service bulliten:

SES Light and Reduced Engine Power with a DTC P1516: DTCs P0120 , P0220 , P1514 , P1515 , P1518 and P2135 May Be Present; 04 Trucks and Utilities with GENIII V-8 Engines - kw 4.8 5.3 6.0 #PIP3089 - (Jul 30, 2004)

SES Light and Reduced Engine Power with a DTC P1516: DTCs P0120, P0220, P1514, P1515, P1518 and P2135 May Also Be Present

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom described in the PI.

Condition/Concern:
    SES light and reduced engine power with a DTC P1516. DTCS P0120, P0220, P1514, P1515, P1518 and P2135 may also be present.

Recommendation/Instructions:
    If the SI diagnostics do not isolate the cause, inspect the Yellow TAC Motor Control Circuit (581) about 1 inch to 4 inches from the throttle body connector to see if it is broken inside of the insulation. Repair as necessary.

Models:
    (03 - 04 Cadillac Escalade C1, C6, K1, K6) and (03 - 04 Chevrolet Avalanche C1, K1, C2, K2) and (03 - 04 Chevrolet Silverado Truck C1, K1, C2, K2, C3, K3 ) and (03 - 04 Chevrolet Tahoe C1, K1 ) and (03 - 04 Chevrolet Suburban C1, K1, C2, K2, C3, K3 ) and (03 - 04 GMC Sierra Truck C1, K1, C2, K2, C3, K3 ) and (03 - 04 GMC Yukon C1, K1 ) and (03 - 04 GMC Yukon XL C1, K1, C2, K2, C3, K3) and (03 - 04 Hummer H2 N2 ) and (03 - 04 Buick Rainier S1, T1 ) and (03 - 04 Chevrolet Trail Blazer EXT S1, T1 ) and (03 - 04 GMC Envoy XL XUV S1, T1)

Last edited by gmsuv; 11-03-2008 at 06:01 AM.

S/C Z71

So your mechanic is retarded?

Quote Originally Posted by S/C Z71
    So your mechanic is retarded?
    Apparently

Quote Originally Posted by gmsuv
    There was a service bulliten:

SES Light and Reduced Engine Power with a DTC P1516: DTCs P0120 , P0220 , P1514 , P1515 , P1518 and P2135 May Be Present; 04 Trucks and Utilities with GENIII V-8 Engines - kw 4.8 5.3 6.0 #PIP3089 - (Jul 30, 2004)

SES Light and Reduced Engine Power with a DTC P1516: DTCs P0120, P0220, P1514, P1515, P1518 and P2135 May Also Be Present

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom described in the PI.

Condition/Concern:
    SES light and reduced engine power with a DTC P1516. DTCS P0120, P0220, P1514, P1515, P1518 and P2135 may also be present.

Recommendation/Instructions:
    If the SI diagnostics do not isolate the cause, inspect the Yellow TAC Motor Control Circuit (581) about 1 inch to 4 inches from the throttle body connector to see if it is broken inside of the insulation. Repair as necessary.

Models:
    (03 - 04 Cadillac Escalade C1, C6, K1, K6) and (03 - 04 Chevrolet Avalanche C1, K1, C2, K2) and (03 - 04 Chevrolet Silverado Truck C1, K1, C2, K2, C3, K3 ) and (03 - 04 Chevrolet Tahoe C1, K1 ) and (03 - 04 Chevrolet Suburban C1, K1, C2, K2, C3, K3 ) and (03 - 04 GMC Sierra Truck C1, K1, C2, K2, C3, K3 ) and (03 - 04 GMC Yukon C1, K1 ) and (03 - 04 GMC Yukon XL C1, K1, C2, K2, C3, K3) and (03 - 04 Hummer H2 N2 ) and (03 - 04 Buick Rainier S1, T1 ) and (03 - 04 Chevrolet Trail Blazer EXT S1, T1 ) and (03 - 04 GMC Envoy XL XUV S1, T1)

So this is a recall?

Thanks for the info

no its a tsb,just information.you can buy a throttle body connector from the dealer and splice the wires.splice as far back as you can reach,have seen those wires broken further than 4 inches.

Quote Originally Posted by p.hinds
    no its a tsb,just information.you can buy a throttle body connector from the dealer and splice the wires.splice as far back as you can reach,have seen those wires broken further than 4 inches.

what is tsb?

S/C Z71

Technical Service Bulletin

Took my truck in again today because it has gone into limp mode 3 times since they cleared the codes.

Handed them the TBS, the apparently followed that up but found nothing conclusive. Cleaned grounds and inspected all wires/harness and found nothing that would/should give problems.

100$ service bill and told we didnt really change anything and if problem persists.......bring it back.

Any thoughts?

S/C Z71

Sounds like they threw you a band aid and said see ya.

My '04 Chevy 4x4 has 84k miles on it and this is the only real issue I have had.

In '07 I had the connections cleaned and repaired (under warranty), on July 7th of '08 I had the whole damn thing (throttle body sensor)replaced (out of warranty), and it started acting up again on June 25th of this year.

I've had three dealerships look it over with no silver bullet solution. My current dealership has a '04 Chevy 2-wheel drive, '04 Tahoe and another '04 Chevy 4-wheel drive with the same issue. The '04 4-wheel drive owner finally broke down and had his TBS replaced only to have the safe mode start again in a little outside a week. They hooked a computer up to the 2-wheel drive and drove it all weekend to have nothing happen.

When it started acting up it happened once time, I parked it overnight and it worked fine for another week, now it is happening almost daily. As of late with the 100+ degree TX it has been only happening after sitting the the parking lot at work all day, but this morning when it was "only" in the low nineties it happened.

I'm hesitant to drop $500 for exploratory surgery, but I can't survive with this crap much longer. Sooner or later I am going to pull into traffic, the safe mode is going to come on and to say the least it isn't going to be pretty.

Has anyone heard of a recall or possible gray area/loop hole where I could get this checked or even replaced without me having to pay for it?
    Last edited by starkttu; 07-09-2009 at 12:19 PM.

I know this isn't our make/model, but they mention the P2135 code

#08-06-04-014: MIL/SES, DTCs P060E, P1516, P2135 and/or P2138 with Reduced Engine Power (Test and Charge Battery) - (Mar 4, 2008)

Subject: MIL/SES, DTCs P060E, P1516, P2135 and/or P2138 with Reduced Engine Power (Test and Charge Battery)

Models: 2004-2007 Chevrolet Colorado

2004-2007 GMC Canyon

2006-2007 HUMMER H3

with 2.8L, 2.9L, 3.5L or 3.7L Engine (VINs 6, 8, 9, E -- RPOs L52, LK5, LLV, LLR)

Condition:
    Some customers may comment on an MIL/SES light Illuminated with the" Reduced Engine Power" message or indicator displayed. A technician may find two or more of the following DTCs stored in the ECM:

€ P060E : Control Module Throttle Position (TP) System Performance

€ P1516 : Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) Module Throttle Actuator Position Performance

€ P2135 : Throttle Position (TP) Sensor 1-2 Correlation

€ P2138 : Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) Sensor 1-2 Correlation

Cause:
    A battery voltage drop during the cranking cycle may cause the codes to set and place the vehicle into the reduce engine power mode.

Correction:
    Test and charge the battery using the steps below.

Important: A low voltage condition may cause at least two of the following DTCs to set.

€ P060E : Control Module Throttle Position (TP) System Performance

€ P1516 : Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) Module Throttle Actuator Position Performance

€ P2135 : Throttle Position (TP) Sensor 1-2 Correlation

€ P2138 : Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) Sensor 1-2 Correlation

Perform a Diagnostic System Check. Refer to Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle in SI.
    Check for DTCs and review the Freeze Frame/Failure Records to determine if sufficient ignition voltage was present when the DTC set.
    € If the ignition voltage was low, then check for a possible battery drain. Refer to Battery Electrical Drain/Parasitic Load Test.

€ If the ignition voltage was sufficient when the code set, proceed with normal SI diagnosis for the code(s) set.

Test and recharge the battery using Bulletin 02-06-03-009 or latest version on "Battery Charging Tips'.
    Clear all DTCs.

Attention: The following bulletin information is only to be used if the customer has returned for REPEAT repairs for DTCs P1516, P2135 and/or P2138.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition:
    Some customers may comment on engine operation in the Reduce Engine Power mode with the MIL/SES light illuminated. This condition may be repeated and upon investigation, the technician may find the following DTCs set as current or in history:

€ DTC P1516 Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) Module Throttle Actuator Position Performance

€ DTC P2135 Throttle Position (TP) Sensor 1-2 Correlation

€ DTC P2138 Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) Sensor 1-2 Correlation

Cause:
    This condition of a repeat DTC P1516, P2135 and/or P2138 may be caused by an internal concern with the PCM.

Correction:
    Important: DO NOT replace the APP sensor. Inspect the PCM build date first.

Before following the diagnostic information in SI on DTCs P1516, P2135 and/or P2138, an inspection of the PCM serial number year and Julian (PCM build) date will be necessary to determine if the PCM will need to be replaced to correct the repeat DTC P1516. Refer to Engine Control Module Replacement in SI in order to remove the PCM. Refer to the above graphic illustration (1) for the location of the PCM serial number.

The serial number is read left to right. The last digit of the year is the 9th character and the Julian date is comprised of the 10th, 11th and 12th characters and is used to determine the PCM build date. Refer to the example below to read a build date from the PCM serial number:

* 8 6 Y N AU K 1 5 3 2 5 0 R P N *

If the PCM year and Julian dates are between 5182 and 5304 , replace the PCM. Refer to the Part Catalog to order the correct PCM for your vehicle application, if necessary.

Vehicles with PCM built outside the dates should refer to SI diagnostics for DTCs P1516, P2135 and/or P2138.

FYI the APP sensor is the Accelerator Pedal Position sensor.

http://www.coloradofans.com/forums/v...hp?f=8&t=58146
    Last edited by starkttu; 07-09-2009 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Incorrect P code Servuce Bulletin

Ok I think I finally found a website that spoke English instead of technogaron. Give this a shot.

Hello all,

I just wanted to share with everyone with the problem that I had with my 2003 1500HD Crew Cab with 6.0 Liter. My truck would go into reduced engine power off and on. Sometimes one a week, sometimes 5 times on a 20 mile trip. My problem was a broken wire on the plug in going in to the throttle body. In the picture is the plug in that had caused me all of my pain and grief....... My problem was very intermittent and was hard to diagnose. I started vehicle and with all codes clear. I wiggled the wiring harness in the picture and vehicle spit and sputtered, throwing it into reduced engine power mode, and then smoothed out to a smooth idle. I disconnected the plug and pulled wires out of plug end and found a broken wire. Mine was a brown wire with white stripe. BUT, what was interesting, was that this vehicle had apparently had the smae problem with previous owner, becuz there was another wire (yellow wire) right beside the one that I found broken already soldered up and taped from where it had apparently happened before. This was my problem and not my truck is running great, and actually even idles better that before. Hope this helps with any problems that anyone else is having. I know this problem can be very irritating.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...BrokenWire.jpg

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/Web...e807e/21#MSG21

I also have a chevy avalanche 2004 and got the reduce power code (2135) I read all of the posting and was thankful for the advise. I replaced the wiring harness to the throttle body... No Good. I then cleaned all the ground wires from the battery to the firewall... No Good. I checked the amount of juice in the battery and it was good charging and off. Then I cleaned the throttle body with a cleaner and... Still No Good. Finally I did the last check and changed the throttle body itself because the throttle sensor is riveted to the throttle body and Walla! The truck was running fine. I have heard in the past postings that it could be any of the above you just have to try and see what works for you. Thanks again, for all those who post their advise it helps!

I would also like to add that I have a used but good connector for sale if anyone is interested. I will sell it for 1/2 price. Thanks

Same here!! I have same problem with my 2009 silverado, I changed the Pedal positioning sensor and it seemed to fix the problem. But it's a week later and my truck has took a dump again and is doing the same thing. Now i geuss I will replace the throttle position sensor next. I was told that it might be under warranty though. So lets hope so. Anyone?

I also have had this problem on my 08 silverado 1500 LT, I get the mil light and reduced engine power. I also get service traction control and have found that if I pull over and shut the truck off for a few minutes, I get power back (but the light stays on). I read the codes and have 0120, and 3500. Before I bought a code reader, I had a friend read them and then bought a new gas pedal assembly. For a while (a week) the problem went away, and I thought I had fixed it. But now, it's happening more often, and I'm also experiencing a dead battery as well. I could not find info on code 3500, anyone know what it is?

I'm sure everybody else already knows this by now but on the 2010 silverado with the 4.8L engine that is having problem with reduced engine power message and a hard fault code of 2135 also showing a stabilatack message the power train warranty is extended to 120,000 miles for this problem only the dealer will replace the throttle position sensor and the wiring pig tail that plugs into the sensor as well for free. I just have recently started having this problem. The dealer I called acted like they didnt know what I was talking abt at first but after telling him what I read here and what I found when I scanned the truck my self they called me back and said it was covered no problem. Hope this will help with future inquiries with the similar problems.

mullins172

I had the same problem on my 03' 1500HD, some times it would go for weeks without issue. then other days it would do it 2-3 times in the matter of hours. Replaced throttle body and no problems since

Quote Originally Posted by Jdbeck71 View Post
    I'm sure everybody else already knows this by now but on the 2010 silverado with the 4.8L engine that is having problem with reduced engine power message and a hard fault code of 2135 also showing a stabilatack message the power train warranty is extended to 120,000 miles for this problem only the dealer will replace the throttle position sensor and the wiring pig tail that plugs into the sensor as well for free. I just have recently started having this problem. The dealer I called acted like they didnt know what I was talking abt at first but after telling him what I read here and what I found when I scanned the truck my self they called me back and said it was covered no problem. Hope this will help with future inquiries with the similar problems.
    Does anyone know if this applies to a 2011 with a 5.3 engine? I am having the same trouble as described at 90,000 miles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast