GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

P0449 Fixed!

This is a discussion on P0449 Fixed! within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Well I finally fixed the P0449 code on my 99 NBS Silverado inexpensively and I figured I would share, use ...

P0449 Fixed!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Well I finally fixed the P0449 code on my 99 NBS Silverado inexpensively and I figured I would share, use this info at your own risk. In my case, the failure was the EVAP vent solenoid, mounted on the frame rail, back by the gas tank. The dealer wanted a couple of hundred bucks for a new vent solenoid kit. All I wanted was the solenoid. After doing some research, the part I needed was GM part #25932571, formerly #10382105. I paid around $15 from GMPartsDirect.com. This is just the bare solenoid (self contained), no mounting bracket, or anything else. This solenoid is a redesigned unit, since the earlier design is no longer available due to repeated failures. Note that this solenoid is quite a bit larger than the original part, but it will fit using the existing wiring and hoses. You will need some patience snaking the solenoid up into position. It plugs into a two pin electrical connector and into a single hose from the vacuum cannister. I just used a couple of large ty-wraps to mount it. Code is gone, now time to go to emmissions! Good Luck.
    1999 Silverado 1500 LS, 4x4, 4.8L, Ext Cab, Short bed, Z71

Re: P0449 Fixed!

Thanks for sharing!
    -Tommy

'05 Crew Cab
    - 35x12.50x17 Nitto Trail Grapplers
    - 6" Superlift FIT kit
    - 4.10s
    - Cognito Heim Joint Style Tie Rods and pitman/idler brackets (a must!)
    - Black Bear tune (a must!)

Thanks for the info, hopefully this will get rid of my code.
    Last edited by silverado_2000; 11-27-2008 at 11:08 AM.

yours is on the canister it self? I just replaced my purge solenoid and it was on top of the intake manifold. and it didn't get rid of the light. I cleared the code and it came back after about 30 seconds of running. is there something i'm missing?

Purge solenoid won't do it. You need the VENT solenoid, mounted on the drivers side frame rail between the cab and the front of the bed. I have not seen an aftermarket one sold at an auto parts store (AutoZone, Advance). Not the easiest to get at, but if you want to clear the code...
    1999 Silverado 1500 LS, 4x4, 4.8L, Ext Cab, Short bed, Z71

well since this post got brought up again, How'd you disconnect that tubing? it's rigid plastic, looks like it will break, and the fancy fitting on the canister looks like it needs a fancy tool

Great tip! I fixed several 04-07 chevy's by removing the valve and blowing it out with compressed air. My friends live near a stone yard so the dust is a fine powder and I clean the valve every six months. Works great, I fixed at least 6 trucks by cleaning the valve and no more codes.

|97 Z71 5.7L|F44|14 Bolt SF|Magna-flow cats|AD244 Upgrade|MSD Wires|Corvette Servo|

I just tried it, crap, light still on

You have to clear the code with a scantool, or drive it for a few days and it will clear on its own

|97 Z71 5.7L|F44|14 Bolt SF|Magna-flow cats|AD244 Upgrade|MSD Wires|Corvette Servo|

ya, have a hypertech, cleared it

Quote Originally Posted by Hodges87 View Post
    Great tip! I fixed several 04-07 chevy's by removing the valve and blowing it out with compressed air. My friends live near a stone yard so the dust is a fine powder and I clean the valve every six months. Works great, I fixed at least 6 trucks by cleaning the valve and no more codes.
    I just started getting this code the other day. Bare with me as I am not sure on the technical names. I took off the EVAP canister (big square box) and a smaller round canister with what I am guessing is the vent solenoid attached to it. I shook the big canister, nothing. I opened the smaller round canister and there was some build up, so I cleaned and rinsed it out. I unhooked the solenoid, and the hose attached to it. I blew on it, with my mouth, and rinsed it out. Hooked everything back up, put about a half a tank of gas in it and cleared the code with my predator. I drove to work today and as I was parking the check engine light came on and I ran it, P0449. Should I take the solenoid and have it blown out with compressed air like you did or am I dead in the water and need a new solenoid?

Quote Originally Posted by joeoby78 View Post
    I just started getting this code the other day. Bare with me as I am not sure on the technical names. I took off the EVAP canister (big square box) and a smaller round canister with what I am guessing is the vent solenoid attached to it. I shook the big canister, nothing. I opened the smaller round canister and there was some build up, so I cleaned and rinsed it out. I unhooked the solenoid, and the hose attached to it. I blew on it, with my mouth, and rinsed it out. Hooked everything back up, put about a half a tank of gas in it and cleared the code with my predator. I drove to work today and as I was parking the check engine light came on and I ran it, P0449. Should I take the solenoid and have it blown out with compressed air like you did or am I dead in the water and need a new solenoid?
    I would blow it out will compressed air, you can hear the vent valve working when your blowing it out. There is a lot more dirt inside there than you can imagine. Hope this helps.