If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

whiring/grinding or whining noise in 4wd

This is a discussion on whiring/grinding or whining noise in 4wd within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; hi guys, I did a little searching on here, but wanted a little bit of live input on my particular ...

Unhappy whiring/grinding or whining noise in 4wd

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    hi guys,

I did a little searching on here, but wanted a little bit of live input on my particular situation. I have a 04 silverado 1500 4wd that i am hearing some disturbing noises from.

For example, if i have the truck in 4wd, and i am making a turn or going around a roundabout, i can hear a grinding/whining noise coming from the frontend as i turn. It happens during normal driving as well as during parking lots. 4wd functions fine but the grinding noise is worrying me. I know that there may be some additional noise when in 4wd, but this doesnt sound good. Actuator was recently replaced about a month ago. Other than that no other issues that i know of. The truck has about 85k miles on it, and i think its about time to change the diff fluids. Any suggestions would be much appreciated guys.

As always, thanks a ton.

Brian
    2004 Chevy Silverado 1500 Ext. Cab, 4.8L V-8. 4WD. Magnaflow SI/SO Muffler, about to put some bigger tires on it.

Re: whiring/grinding or whining noise in 4wd

prob got a bad wheel bearing drive it normal and if the noise is there while driving straight kind turn easy if noise changes sound like a wheel bearing

i believe its only in 4wd...does that make a difference?
    2004 Chevy Silverado 1500 Ext. Cab, 4.8L V-8. 4WD. Magnaflow SI/SO Muffler, about to put some bigger tires on it.

bump

formerly mytrucksbigger VenomHP's Avatar

could be a CV shaft, is this on hard pavement or snow/ice?
    02 ext cab z-71 LT 6" lift, FLT LVL 4 4L60E, flowmasters, intake, power programmer, 4:56 gears, traction bars, 35" tires and atlas II wheels

snow and ice. I dont engage the 4wd on a clear, clean surface.

check the cv shaft boots, make sure they arent torn or worn out, change the fluid in your front diff to make sure theres no metal shavings
    02 ext cab z-71 LT 6" lift, FLT LVL 4 4L60E, flowmasters, intake, power programmer, 4:56 gears, traction bars, 35" tires and atlas II wheels

Runnin 15's at 5500 lbs Hammerdown's Avatar

Im having the same exact problem, I've only got 75k on my 02 sierra. I changed the fluid about a month ago, and there was asteroids of metal shavings stuck to the magnet drain plug. The fluid was brown and looked like silver spray paint, never a good sign. Now the front diff howls a little when I get around 50 mph.

2002 GMC Sierra SLE Z71 ext.cab 5.3L---Single 3" flowmaster 40 dumped, Spectre CAI, LT headers and ORY, Wheatley tune, Mid 15's

^^^ your front gears are probably screwed, I would make sure to take care of that asap

Runnin 15's at 5500 lbs Hammerdown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VenomHP
    ^^^ your front gears are probably screwed, I would make sure to take care of that asap
    How much $ am I lookin at for parts? I can probably do most of the work myself. Sorry to jack the thread, kind of related though

2002 GMC Sierra SLE Z71 ext.cab 5.3L---Single 3" flowmaster 40 dumped, Spectre CAI, LT headers and ORY, Wheatley tune, Mid 15's

When I had my 03 I had a wheel bearing go out at 60,000 miles and it was only on the driver's side. I went to the dealer and I thought that chevy would do the right thing and at least pay for the parts but NOOOOOO.they told me that I was jsut out of the goodwill period and that if I would have brought the truck there for oil and filter changes they would have lubed them. I then said OK take me out to the truck and show me where you lube a non-serviceable bearing! no comment and got the well that's that speach!! LOL It cost me 300.00 with parts and labor. I would have done it myself but it was not that bad in the labor but the part was expensive!!! I left the passenger side only and put 132,000 on it and no problems when I bought my 05. I sounds like to me it might be a wheel bearing. jack up the front end and see if you can feel play in the wheel from top to bottom. you might even be able to do it on the ground and grab the tire and pull on the top of it. You have to replace the entire hub assembly. It is not serviceable.
    Either way I love my Chevy's and it did not stop me from buying another!!!!!!
    Last edited by hipochevys; 12-23-2008 at 03:23 PM.

could be the wheel bearing and thats a pretty easy fix, as for the gears, your looking at around 600 or so, theres a few guys selling the front diffs so thatd be the cheapest route to go.

unless you are very familiar with replacing gears and setting them up I would let a pro do it

I'm having same problems with my 06. Dealer did complete rebuild on front diff (bad bearing) but the noise is still there. Only in 4WD and very pronounced when turning. No noise in 2WD.

im hopefully going to take it in to the dealer on friday (hopefully will be under warrantee), but i will let you guys know what the fix is.

Stopped by the dealer today and took the mechanic for a ride in my truck. He said noise is normal in the 06's and is caused by the "slip clutch?" in the transfer case. Never heard the noise before last week when he rebuilt the front diff.

just changed the front and rear diff fluids. was a tiny bit of metal shavings on the drain bolt for the front diff. was hoping this would solve my grinding noise problem but it is still there. also went ahead and changed the fluid in the rear diff as well. both fluids were black. any ideas on what to do next?

sounds like a bad wheel bearing possibly.

just got back from the dealer. checked out the whole front drivetrain and couldn't find anything wrong. I have noticed that since i changed the front diff fluid last week the noise i had while slowing down coasting has gone away, and it seems like the noise while turning has decreased.

My '03 is at the dealer right now getting the transfer case taken apart. They think the grinding noise coming from the truck emanates from there. Get this, they have to drop the case, take it apart and then call the warranty company. I'm sure it's covered since whatever the problem is is inside the case.
    Still, if it's not covered, I have to pay the garage to put it back together. Dumb.
    We're all here 'cause we're not all there.