If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Truck Dies When Turning

This is a discussion on Truck Dies When Turning within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Well hoping you guys can help me out I purchased a 2003 Gmc 1500, and now after driving it a ...

Truck Dies When Turning

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Well hoping you guys can help me out I purchased a 2003 Gmc 1500, and now after driving it a while I have ran into this problem. While making slow sharp turns my truck will die and I have too put in park and restart it which will start fine. This only happens once in a while. Also when I'm just at idle it will run a little rough Head lights will dim. Rpms die down quite low but doesn't die, volts gauge drops also but not too much about to 12. could this be and alternator problem. I think the computer has been reprogrammed with a tuner could the setting be doing this. If you guys have any ideas, suggestion, or solutions thanks.

Re: Truck Dies When Turning

Is it giving you any codes? Does your truck have a TPS or IAC? Maybe one of those are bad.
    5.7L, 5-Speed, 4/6 drop on 245/45/18's

I don't know about any codes, and I think it has a IAC i'll look into that, its a cheap part. Thanks

"Shake and bake" kidwithwrench86's Avatar

could be two dif problems. at idle w/ headlights on sounds like an alternator. the turning sounds like you could have a bad ps pressure switch, which basically tells the comp to idle the engine up a little when turning so as the excess force from the ps pump doesnt kill the motor

kids with wrenches 4x4 - hopatcong, NJ.
    proud member of the oobs and obs hood wacker clubs

The alternator sounds most likely but didn't know if there would be any other things giving the same problems. And about the PS pressure switch i was looking into the part it self and were it would be located and i only found them to be present on trucks up too 2002 nothing newer. where might this pressure switch be located?

you might be right on that one, not all vehicles have em, i'd check on the alternator first, fix that problem, then go from there.

loose nut behind da wheel JeremyB's Avatar

Check battery connections and grounds

Red is faster and adds HP throwinrox's Avatar

Mine did the same thing. When I would make a sharp right turn the thing would die and I would throw it in neutral and it would start right back up. I thought that nobody would believe that it died on turns. I will have to look into the PS switch also.
    '99 ECSB 4x4
    4.8L LS
    Custom prerunner bumpers
    K&N intake/Flowmaster
    Torsion Crank

'07 Yukon 2WD
    bone Stock

Have your alt checked, along with the battery.
    Take the cables off, and clean them. Make sure everything is tight.
    Also take off the grounds and clean them, make sure they are tight and in good condition.

If all that's good, I would start looking at something like fuel pressure, or a dirty fuel filter.

I don't think it would be an IAC, or TPS. I say that, cause it should give you other problems.
    However remebering now, you did say it idled a little rough.
    So take the IAC out and clean it. You can check the TPS too. You do have both.
    Wouldn't hurt to clean the throttle body either.

03 Silverado ECSB, Dmax, Allison, 3.73 G80
    96 Silverado ECSB, 350, 4L60E, 3.73's Powertrax Locker
    05 Cavalier
    74 Corvette Stingray, 350, 4 speed
    49 F-1, flathead 6, 4 speed, 2wd, unknown rear end. Old rust bucket.

S/C Z71

Check your body, chassis and engine grounds.

Could be inside the column itself. Loose or grounding wire.

......................... Atomic's Avatar

autozone, advanced, orileys, etc. can test your alternator and battery for free

Check your grounds. Another guy had the same issue on another site, and it turned out to be a loose ground.

Steven

2007 GMC Sierra SLT Vmax 4.10 gears, Boss MT100 20x8.5 wheels/Cooper Zeon LTZ tires, Extang Bed cover,
    GMC Bedrug, Line of Fire, Denali Grill, GM Performance Intake, Corsa Sport Dual Exhaust, and DiabloSport Predator.

Thanks everyone, Yeah I checked the battery connections and they where clean and good, but I'll have to check all the grounds also. I didn't even think to take it to Auto Zone and have them check the battery and alternator, I'll do that. And the IAC couldn't hurt to clean it or replace same as the TPS. Thanks again.

worse comes worse, you could have some wires screwed up in the column, buddy of mine had that problem on his 83 monte, everytime he turned left it would shut off, and everytime he turned right the heat would shut off. it was rather funny

It has nothing to do with the electrical system. You need to clean the throttle body.Be sure to clean the port that leads to the IAC,You can remove it but be carful with it as it is delicut, as well as in and around the throttle butterfly/blade. I had the same issues.The lights dim only becuase the engine isnt run up enough or should i say on the verge of stalling out. the dealer cleaned the throttle body and reflashed the PCM with an update, but just cleaning the throttle body should solve your problem.This is a very common prblem and their is a TSB on the issue.
    Last edited by chevster; 01-11-2009 at 04:56 AM.

The lights dimming and the voltage gauge dropping indicates an electrical issue. However, I will agree that it could be the idle droping not spinning the alt fast enough. But you are better off to check both.

My other suggestion is to run a second ground to the alt, sometimes they don't always ground the best.

03 Silverado ECSB, Dmax, Allison, 3.73 G80
    96 Silverado ECSB, 350, 4L60E, 3.73's Powertrax Locker
    05 Cavalier
    74 Corvette Stingray, 350, 4 speed
    49 F-1, flathead 6, 4 speed, 2wd, unknown rear end. Old rust bucket.

My truck did the exact same thing , somtimes when coming to a stop the lights would dimm and the voltage would drop as the idle droped out ,but didnt stall,the idle would come back up but still idled kind of low . it also stalled a few times from steering as in parking in tight spots an feathering/ on off the throttle, sometimes it would just become hard to turn the wheel when parking as the hydrolic boost droped due to the low idle or the idle droping out but wouldn't stall.The throttle body was cleaned and the PCM was reflashed with an update .This solved the issue. could it be some thing else maybe but i doubt it, again there is a service bulliten concerning the issue . It sounds like this is what is being described.
    Last edited by chevster; 01-11-2009 at 07:28 AM. Reason: edit to say PCM update/reflash not ECM

loose nut behind da wheel JeremyB's Avatar

Jake, check the throttle body, it could have build up or if its a drive-by-wire electric throttle you may need the updated harness.

Wasn't there a TSB on these trucks for the PCV as well but I think that problem was oil consumption.

S/C Z71

Quote Originally Posted by chevster
    It has nothing to do with the electrical system. You need to clean the throttle body.
    You seem so sure but you're wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast