GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Camshaft Position Sensor

This is a discussion on Camshaft Position Sensor within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; The trucks been getting harder to start for the last week or so, so I had the codes ran today. ...

Camshaft Position Sensor

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    The trucks been getting harder to start for the last week or so, so I had the codes ran today. Through a P0340, Camshaft Position Sensor A- Bank 1 Circuit Malfunction.

I searched around the forums and dint really find much besides that the CPS is located somewhere below the distributor.

How would I approach changing this? is it hard? Or is it just unscrewing and unplugging the old one and throwing the new one in?
    What would be the esiest way to access it? From under the truck? Or from the top?

Help!!!
    1998 Chevy K1500- Used, Abused, and Sold 1989 Camaro Iroc-Z 5.0, auto....- Sold
    1987 Dodge Dakota 2bbl, 5 spd, v6, 4x4, -scrap
    1993 Honda CBR600 F2- DD when nice out 1987 k5 blazer- bad ass

Re: Camshaft Position Sensor

ttt

The CPS is inside the distributor cap housing. You'll need to take the cap off. Remove the rotor and you'll see it on the backside towards the firewall. There should be two little torx head screws holding it in place. Be careful not to drop the screws inside the distributor. Unplug the harness. You shouldn't have any problems. I can't remember, but it may need some di-electric grease upon reinstallation of the new one??? Anyone else know this bit of info?

Have you tried jiggling the wiring harness yet? I'm assuming not since you didn't know the exact location of it. Try to move the harness a bit and see if it will start. I had one do this once before. Also would get moisture in when it was wet outside due to the bad connection. Just a thought.
    1997 C1500 ECLB 5.7 Vortec G80 3.73 Rear
    K&N FIPK, Cherrybomb Vortex DI/DO Dumped

Quote Originally Posted by JJonesey
    The CPS is inside the distributor cap housing. You'll need to take the cap off. Remove the rotor and you'll see it on the backside towards the firewall. There should be two little torx head screws holding it in place. Be careful not to drop the screws inside the distributor. Unplug the harness. You shouldn't have any problems. I can't remember, but it may need some di-electric grease upon reinstallation of the new one??? Anyone else know this bit of info?

Have you tried jiggling the wiring harness yet? I'm assuming not since you didn't know the exact location of it. Try to move the harness a bit and see if it will start. I had one do this once before. Also would get moisture in when it was wet outside due to the bad connection. Just a thought.
    Thank you very much! Thats just the info I was looking for.

Could be the circuit to and from the sensor as well.

peace
    PAuly
    97 GMC 2wd RCSB 5.7, s10 2700 footstall, Hooker 24621hkr LT's , 2.5" cats dual 4"pipes exit B4 pass. side tire, custom driveshaft 3.42 G80 FIPK MAF descreen GM/Mercruiser Marine intake manifold 29lb LS2(EV6) injectors Ed Wright PCM(best mod), LT4 KM 14.8@94mph 2.007 4000lbs 122mph

Just replaced the sensor... Still doesnt start. I guess Pauly was right. I dont know what I'm going to do now, no idea where the circut goes...

loose nut behind da wheel JeremyB's Avatar

The pink wire at the sensor should have power with the key on. The other two wires go to the VCM. On the 96(I dont have a 98 service manual) they went to the blue connector, posts 3 and 8 but matching the wire colors at the sensor and vcm should work

Had a similar problem. A voltmeter is your friend.
    97 Gmc Sierra 1500
    Current mods: Flowmaster 40's, K&N FIPK, S10 converter, wait4me tune, LT1 fans, 2" drop shackles, Alpine CDA-9856 head unit.