If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Steering wheel doesn't lock

This is a discussion on Steering wheel doesn't lock within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I just bought a 2005 Suburban 2500 and I notice the steering wheel doesn't lock when the ignition is off ...

Supporting Member

Steering wheel doesn't lock

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I just bought a 2005 Suburban 2500 and I notice the steering wheel doesn't lock when the ignition is off
    Normal?

Re: Steering wheel doesn't lock

Here are the diagnostic steps to check
    Lock System Does Not Lock
    Step
    Action
    Yes
    No

DEFINITION: The lock system will not allow the key to be turned to the OFF lock position.

Did you review the Steering Wheel and Column Description and Operation?
    Go to Step 2
    Go to Steering Wheel and Column Description and Operation

Verify that the lock system does not lock.

Does the lock system operate normally?
    System OK
    Go to Step 3

Inspect for a faulty lock cylinder or release button.

Is the lock cylinder or release button damaged?
    Go to Step 7
    Go to Step 4

Inspect the shift cable adjustment.

Is the shift cable adjusted incorrectly?
    Go to Step 8
    Go to Step 5

Inspect the ignition switch for damage.

Is the ignition switch damaged?
    Go to Step 9
    Go to Step 6

Inspect the linear shift for damage.

Is the linear shift control damaged?
    Go to Step 10
    Go to Step 7

Replace the lock cylinder. Refer to Ignition Lock Cylinder Replacement .

Did you complete the repair?
    Go to Step 11
    --

Adjust the shift cable. Refer to Automatic Transmission Range Selector Cable Adjustment in Automatic Transmission - 4L60-E/4L65-E or to Automatic Transmission Range Selector Cable Adjustment in Automatic Transmission - 4L80-E/4L85-E.

Go to Step 11
    --

Replace the ignition switch. Refer to Ignition Switch Replacement .

Go to Step 11
    --

Replace the linear shift assembly. Refer to Linear Shift Assembly Replacement .

Go to Step 11
    --

Operate the system in order to verify the repair.

Did you correct the condition?

Old Geezers know stuff... dlstewart01's Avatar

They took the steering wheel lock off some time around 2002. Your 2005 DOES NOT have a steering wheel lock.

Have a good one,

Don

Edit: After some research I don't believe the lock has been on there since 1999. Some of the early 99s had them, then the steering wheel lock disappeared. There are some who say they were there through 2001, I can't verify this.
    Last edited by dlstewart01; 01-19-2009 at 12:14 PM.
    05 GMC Sierra, Ext Cab, 5.3

"Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

3/5 Cav, C Troop, Blacks Knights, Vietnam, 1969

My 2003 2500hd & my 2008 Honda Civic does not have the steering lock.
    Mike
    2003 2500HD 6.0 auto 4.10 4x4

no locks on 2003 and up

Actually a 2003 duramax with 6 speed manual does have a steering wheel lock. Just found that out this weekend. Come to think of it I don't know if any of the trucks had steering wheels locks from 99 and up. I don't think my 99 has it.
    1995 Silverado - ported vortec heads, 4L80E, efans, LT4 Hot Cam, Rear disc brake conversion w/drilled and slotted rotors
    1999 NBS Silverdo - transgo HD2 shift kit, 3 inch dynomax ultra flow, Ford keys and 305/70-16 Mickey ATZs

Quote Originally Posted by oldred95
    Actually a 2003 duramax with 6 speed manual does have a steering wheel lock. Just found that out this weekend. Come to think of it I don't know if any of the trucks had steering wheels locks from 99 and up. I don't think my 99 has it.

I just knew someone with a straight shift would post this. The automatics have not had a steering wheel lock since around 1999. Some early 99s had them.

Have a good one,

Don
    Last edited by dlstewart01; 01-19-2009 at 12:13 PM.

"Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

I would love to have a Dmax with a 6 speed stick!
    Quote Originally Posted by tatoodkelt
    When approaching a four-way stop, the vehicle with the largest tires always has the right of way.
    Quote Originally Posted by possom813
    I can deal with loud and uncomfortable, hell I've been married for 8 years.

Quote Originally Posted by KC9NMO
    I would love to have a Dmax with a 6 speed stick!
    The guy had hell with throw out bearings for the first 40,000 miles or so. Finally GM came out with a redesigned bearing and it hasn't done it since. I prefer an automatic with a diesel, at least a light duty truck diesel.
    1995 Silverado - ported vortec heads, 4L80E, efans, LT4 Hot Cam, Rear disc brake conversion w/drilled and slotted rotors
    1999 NBS Silverdo - transgo HD2 shift kit, 3 inch dynomax ultra flow, Ford keys and 305/70-16 Mickey ATZs

Soap, Ballot, Ammo

Quote Originally Posted by dlstewart01
    They took the steering wheel lock off some time around 2002. Your 2005 DOES NOT have a steering wheel lock.

Have a good one,

Don

Edit: After some research I don't believe the lock has been on there since 1999. Some of the early 99s had them, then the steering wheel lock disappeared. There are some who say they were there through 2001, I can't verify this.
    Learn something new every day. Do you know the reason the lock was deleted after all these years?
    My 2000 has the lock btw.

They had it after 99. It is 2002 when they took it out. My 2001 C3 has it, but our 2003 Tahoe does not.

excerpt from a service bulletin:
    Notice: On the 2002 and later model year vehicles, the steering column LOCK was removed from the steering column. It is critical that the J 42640 - Steering column Anti-Rotation Pin is used when servicing steering columns on 2002 and later model year vehicles. Failure to use the J 42640 may result in damage to the SIR coil.

The steering column lock was an anti-theft feature that I guess they think is no longer necessary with the PASSLOCK II installed. I know a lot of people park with the wheels cut sharply and then can't turn the ignition when they get back in. They don't think to take pressure off the wheel. I have had several people call and say their truck won't start and that is all that was wrong with it. It was probably removed as a cost cutting measure though. Steering column is less complicated meaning less cost to manufacture.

Quote Originally Posted by 99-2door
    They had it after 99. It is 2002 when they took it out. My 2001 C3 has it, but our 2003 Tahoe does not.

excerpt from a service bulletin:
    Notice: On the 2002 and later model year vehicles, the steering column LOCK was removed from the steering column. It is critical that the J 42640 - Steering column Anti-Rotation Pin is used when servicing steering columns on 2002 and later model year vehicles. Failure to use the J 42640 may result in damage to the SIR coil.

The steering column lock was an anti-theft feature that I guess they think is no longer necessary with the PASSLOCK II installed. I know a lot of people park with the wheels cut sharply and then can't turn the ignition when they get back in. They don't think to take pressure off the wheel. I have had several people call and say their truck won't start and that is all that was wrong with it. It was probably removed as a cost cutting measure though. Steering column is less complicated meaning less cost to manufacture.

Yes I read that and thats what I was going by, but then one of the GM engineers told me they took it off before then, I guess it doesn't matter its been gone for a while.

Don
    Last edited by dlstewart01; 01-19-2009 at 02:09 PM.

I've had my 99 going on 7 months and I don't think one time the steering wheel lock has ever engaged. Either it doesn't have it or it was taken off or just doesn't work. Doesn't bother me any.

I want to say it became an issue when the push buttom start Corvettes came about. Seems like the steering lock was operated by a solenoid and for whatever reason it was engaging at random while going down the road, or was capable of doing that and they decided it was best just not to have it anymore.

I imagine it was a cost saving measure.
    Quote Originally Posted by tatoodkelt
    When approaching a four-way stop, the vehicle with the largest tires always has the right of way.
    Quote Originally Posted by possom813
    I can deal with loud and uncomfortable, hell I've been married for 8 years.