If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

"RFA 2 Battery Low" - alert from my display

This is a discussion on "RFA 2 Battery Low" - alert from my display within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Today my 2003 Silverado 5.3 dashboard informed me of "RFA 2 Battery Low" which a google search suggests that my ...

"RFA 2 Battery Low" - alert from my display

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Today my 2003 Silverado 5.3 dashboard informed me of "RFA 2 Battery Low" which a google search suggests that my key fob remote has a low battery. And yes, I have been using my fob #2. So I switch to fob #1 (which I never use) and the alert is still there. It appears when you first turn the truck on, then goes away to whatever normal display you have set to come up.

I'm thinking my #2 fob does need a new battery, but how to clear the alert? Just using the other fob didn't change it.

Thanks!

Re: "RFA 2 Battery Low" - alert from my display

So nobody has seen this? I would think a lot of folks see this as key fobs get a few years old....

the sea hates a coward rebelbowtie's Avatar

check the owners manual? i have no idea.

It may not be safe to assume the battery in the #1 fob is ok, but if it is good, many of the stored fault messages take a certain number of start cycles where the fault does not occur before it will clear itself.

On the old ODB I computers you could just unhook the battery to clear fault codes, on the ODB II computers you either have to clear them with a reader or wait for them to clear themselves.
    1996 Yukon. Stock on 285's

S/C Z71

Change them both.

If fob #1 was bad I should be getting a code for that one too.

I checked on my GM service information and well it doesnt really tell me a whole heck of a lot so my guess would be replace the battery's in both remotes, ive personally never actually seen that message but if it doesnt go away after you replace the battery's let me know and ill ask some of my other techs

Maybe it's looking for a Battery OK condition. Replace the battery in fob #2 and use it a few times.

Ed
    2002 Tahoe LS 5.3 Flex Corvette Servo AVS In-channels JVC KD-PDR80 Tricked out cigarette lighter knob

1984 3500 3+3 Crew Cab 350 w/Edelbrock 600 700R4 w/Corvette Servo & manual TCC AVS Surface Mount JVC w/Sub Cloth w/Captains' Chairs
    :fsc:

Maybe it's looking for a Battery OK condition. Replace the battery in fob #2 and use it a few times.

Ed
    2002 Tahoe LS 5.3 Flex Corvette Servo AVS In-channels JVC KD-PDR80 Tricked out cigarette lighter knob

1984 3500 3+3 Crew Cab 350 w/Edelbrock 600 700R4 w/Corvette Servo & manual TCC AVS Surface Mount JVC w/Sub Cloth w/Captains' Chairs
    :fsc:

Guys - I still have not been able to resolve this. I replaced the battery but it still does not work. I double-checked that the battery is good using a multi-meter and it is installed correctly. The other key fob works. I can only think there is a synchronization process I have to follow. I have other fobs for things and you usually have to push the buttons in a certain way to get it to sync back up.

You need to hold the lock and unlock buttons down at the same time until the locks cycle. This will resynchronize the fob.
    Latest project: 1971 C-20, 350, .488 cam, Performer intake, Holley 750, headers, true duals through Flowmaster Series 30 mufflers, 4-Speed, 4.56 gears.

procedure:

Instructions for new body style trucks:

1) Close all the vehicle doors.
    2) Insert the ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder.
    3) Press and hold the door unlock switch.
    4) While holding the door lock switch in the unlock position, cycle the ignition ON, OFF, ON, OFF.
    5) Release the door unlock switch. The doors will lock and unlock to confirm the program mode.
    6) Press and hold the LOCK button and the UNLOCK button simultaneously on one transmitter. After a delay of approximately 15 seconds, the doors will lock and unlock to confirm the programming of that transmitter.
    7) Repeat the previous step to program up to four transmitters.
    8) Turn the igntion switch to the RUN position in order to exit the keyless entry transmitter mode.
    9) Operate the transmitter functions in order to verify correct system operation.
    O2 GMC RCSB 4.8L V8 AUTO 3.73's
    rebuilt/beefed up 4L60E(at 43,000miles)
    Matching Ninja 500r

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I checked on my GM service information and well it doesnt really tell me a whole heck of a lot so my guess would be replace the battery's in both remotes, ive personally never actually seen that message but if it doesnt go away after you replace the battery's let me know and ill ask some of my other techs
    I've replaced the battery in FOB #2 which now works great but the message in my 2003 Sub still won't clear. Can you check with your techs? Thanks

Message will not go away even after following the advice on this page. I have an '03 Silverado with a 4.8 engine.
    Last edited by Olrobert73; 11-12-2011 at 11:17 AM.

I wonder if the original poster ever got this fixed.
    O2 GMC RCSB 4.8L V8 AUTO 3.73's
    rebuilt/beefed up 4L60E(at 43,000miles)
    Matching Ninja 500r

hucking fates this server FordeatinZ71's Avatar

this is really simple. replace the batteries...do the resync crap and GO HAVE THE DAMN CODES CLEARED

i mean, is it really THAT difficult everyone??
    TiredFarmer likes this.

2004 GMC Sierra SLE Z71 rcsb, 5.3/4L60E/3.73/G80 time bomb...3" lift, tinted 03+ Silverado tails, plasti-dipped 16" wheels (unknown brand), 285/75/16 Thunderer M/T Extremes, Thrush Welded muffler...

2nd Amendment Supporter mudbuddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NEUMANNZZ View Post
    procedure:

Instructions for new body style trucks:

1) Close all the vehicle doors.
    2) Insert the ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder.
    3) Press and hold the door unlock switch.
    4) While holding the door lock switch in the unlock position, cycle the ignition ON, OFF, ON, OFF.
    5) Release the door unlock switch. The doors will lock and unlock to confirm the program mode.
    6) Press and hold the LOCK button and the UNLOCK button simultaneously on one transmitter. After a delay of approximately 15 seconds, the doors will lock and unlock to confirm the programming of that transmitter.
    7) Repeat the previous step to program up to four transmitters.
    8) Turn the igntion switch to the RUN position in order to exit the keyless entry transmitter mode.
    9) Operate the transmitter functions in order to verify correct system operation.
    Wow good post, I wonder why GM didn't make step 10 hop around the truck counter-clockwise on your left leg.

hucking fates this server FordeatinZ71's Avatar

can you imagine the service techs doing that? that'd be funny...

2004 GMC Sierra SLE Z71 rcsb, 5.3/4L60E/3.73/G80 time bomb...3" lift, tinted 03+ Silverado tails, plasti-dipped 16" wheels (unknown brand), 285/75/16 Thunderer M/T Extremes, Thrush Welded muffler...

Has this issue been resolved. I just changed (3 days ago) the battery and am experiencing the same issues. I took the truck to my local dealership so they could do the 'dance on their left leg around the truck' and the comment remains in my DIC. The service tech writer commented that he had never seen this before. Any answers on getting rid of the message?

Well, if all else fails get some duct tape and cover up the message!
    00 k-1500 ECSB 5.3 4l60e, Z71, 231,500 miles. TRADED 5-2013
    03 2500HD ECSB 6.0 4l80e, 145,000 miles.
    05 K2500HD ECLB 6.6l LLY, 5speed Allison, 270,700 miles (Got 5-2013)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast