***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

OBS 1999 Tahoe - anyone cut an access panel for fuel pump?

This is a discussion on OBS 1999 Tahoe - anyone cut an access panel for fuel pump? within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; and of course it would mean that dealerships wouldn't be able to get away with charging $900 for changing them......

Re: OBS 1999 Tahoe - anyone cut an access panel for fuel pump?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    and of course it would mean that dealerships wouldn't be able to get away with charging $900 for changing them...

Well, I still haven't gotten there yet. Bought a craftsman reciprocating saw, cordless. Its gonna be really interesting when I test that baby out on a truck body.

Can anyone describe to me the layout of the top of the tank? I can't find a picture of a 4dr "gas" tahoe tank anywhere online. Plenty of replacements for the diesel and 2dr 26gal. I need to know where the fuel lines are routed and how far they are away from the body. Actually I need to know how much space is between the body and the tank, then how much space there is between the body and the fuel lines that are in that groove. That groove/channel for the lines, does it run all the way down the length of the tank in a straight line?

-

hucking fates this server FordeatinZ71's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Green meanie
    Did one the other day for our detailer at the dealership I work at, hes's got a '92 Iroc, we just cut the panel/floorboard open and pulled it out, camaros are hardlined so we used tubing cutter and put in fuel hose about 2 inches long for each 4 lines, thats what he wanted to do cause he also had limited space in detail bay, much easier than pulling tank on a Iroc.

pardon what i'm about to say...but that was ignorant to do on an IROC. not only are those kinda hard to come by...but they are unibody cars. you basically cut into the frame of that car. it would have taken maybe an hour to drop that tank if you knew what you were doing. someone did that to my old '89 IROC...hate it when people do things half-assed.

on the Tahoe it wouldn't be such a big deal, it has a full frame and doesn't rely on the body for rigidity...although i'd think you were better off just dropping the tank. you say you can't work on things...but you're going to fire up a sawzall and start cutting into your truck? don't you think that would attract more attention than simply dropping the tank fairly quietly and replacing the pump?

just tryin to look at things logically...

2004 GMC Sierra SLE Z71 rcsb, 5.3/4L60E/3.73/G80 time bomb...3" lift, tinted 03+ Silverado tails, plasti-dipped 16" wheels (unknown brand), 285/75/16 Thunderer M/T Extremes, Thrush Welded muffler...

I Hate You All, Equally.

I had numerous problems with my fuel pump in my RCLB 98 GMC. i would recommend changing the relay, connector and pump. cuz i had all of these go on me (believe me i checked to make sure that was all that was wrong) and now that i have done that i havent had a failure in over 3 years. The connector is pricey (i paid $65 canadian for a connector) btu it would cause so many intermittent failures that it was driving me nuts. it would rattle loose or something and the truck would shut off.

Eventually i cut an access panel in the bed of my truck and cover it up with my bed liner. haven't had a problem since, but it's a great access to have for diagnostic purposes.

1983 Jimmy Sierra Classic-Future LSX Swap Recipient
    2002 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LT-Daily Driver
    1995 Corsica-Super-Sleeper in Progress

Quote Originally Posted by FordeatinZ71
    you say you can't work on things...but you're going to fire up a sawzall and start cutting into your truck? don't you think that would attract more attention than simply dropping the tank fairly quietly and replacing the pump?

just tryin to look at things logically...

Yeah the sawsall will make some noise, but as long as I do the cutting like right after work, the neighbors will just think its the landscapers, maintenance crew or carpet cleaners. If I try to drain the tank, there's going to be plenty of gas smell in the air. I'm going to need somewhere to put the gas, meaning about 4 of those big red 5gal fuel cans that Kalifornia insists on making its residents pay $50/per for the safety ones. I'm looking at $200 just for containers. I'm probably going to have to empty the tank using the bottom drain (if there is one), which means manually filling up some sort of container to pour into another container and with 20 gals, that will take a long time of handling fuel. The noise is a problem, but not as bad as the smell of fuel, sight of gerrie cans or me laying under the truck.

On the other hand, once the hole is cut, I should only have to deal with exposed fuel for like 10 mins when I disconnect the fuel lines and replace the pump.

Quote Originally Posted by aggiedave98
    Awesome, thanks aggiedave! That helps tremendously.

All this time, I just knew my tank was a 25gal, not a 30gal.
    Last edited by TigerEyz3; 03-04-2009 at 09:40 AM.
    Prov 3:5-6; Jer 29:11
    '99 2wd 4dr Tahoe:
    Mods list

Quote Originally Posted by ElementX
    I could get my truck towed to a shop, but so far, a few of the chain places around here are asking a nut-kicking price of $600-$900 to fix this. I don't have that kind of money right now and probably wont have it for a while, but I need to drive.
    ...I'm going to need somewhere to put the gas, meaning about 4 of those big red 5gal fuel cans that Kalifornia insists on making its residents pay $50/per for the safety ones. I'm looking at $200 just for containers...
    $200 = containers
    $220 = fuel pump
    $100 ish = saw

With all this $$$ being spent, why not pony up a bit more & get it dropped & replaced without hacking up the body?

Just my 2.

1999 Tahoe LT: ProCharger, BBP Tune, 411 pcm.

- In Progress: Marine Intake Swap with LS3 injectors

2002 Denali Yukon XL: MP112

I'm going to need somewhere to put the gas, meaning about 4 of those big red 5gal fuel cans that Kalifornia insists on making its residents pay $50/per for the safety ones. I'm looking at $200 just for containers.
    Or you can just store all that gas in my 'Hoe

No room for my brilliance Honey Bear's Avatar

On the other hand, once the hole is cut, I should only have to deal with exposed fuel for like 10 mins when I disconnect the fuel lines and replace the pump.
    Unless you screw up cutting a hole in the floor and rip open the gas tank or a line and set the whole truck on fire. In that case I am fairly certain that everyone will suspect that you are working on your truck.

Those things sit fairly close to the floor of the truck so I dont see how it could be safe to use a sawall to do it.

Dont you have a friends house you can go to to do it? Would be cheaper to have it towed to a buddys, drop the tank, empty it into some kind of container(5 gal buckets, big trash can that no one can smoke around), THen if you must cut your hole in the floor, replace the tank, and put it all back together. No firemen involved.
    Last edited by Honey Bear; 03-04-2009 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GreaseDog View Post
    you're a big paul bunyan lookin mutha fvcka.. i'd be scared to tell you not to pee in the middle of the back yard and not to leave your beer cans in the shower

The clearance between the truck floor and the lines is VERY little. If you use that sawsall you will almost surely hit a line with the blade. I know I spoke of cutting a hole but I would drop the tank first so that any pump replacements would be easier in the future, not more costly than necessary that first time.
    97 Suburban 4X4 Vortec 5.7L K1500 4L60-E 3.42 Ratio

Had the same issue on my 96 Yukon four door. When I tried to drop the tank on the street where it died I ended up spinning one of the bolts that holds on the back strap. I had no idea it was only a "U" nut up in the frame so I took out the back seats and carpets and cut a hole through the floor right behind the seats where the floor rises up. Turns out there was two floors to cut through just to get a vice grip on that spinning nut. If you do cut the floor it will be right under the passenger seat drivers side. Close to the rising part of the floor. The fuel lines for my truck run off the side and dip into the frame rail. I used a saws all and a pneumatic chisel. Made lots of noise but it cut it just fine. I didn't remove any pieces. I just folded the metal back and when I was done, and slapped myself in the head for all the uneccessary work, I folded back the metal and put some tar on the joins and pressed some shop towels over it and tarred the whole thing to keep out fumes. Big pain in butt but I didn't know at the time I could just cut the bolt and replace the "U" nut. Good Luck

Had the same issue on my 96 Yukon four door. When I tried to drop the tank on the street where it died I ended up spinning one of the bolts that holds on the back strap. I had no idea it was only a "U" nut up in the frame so I took out the back seats and carpets and cut a hole through the floor right behind the seats where the floor rises up. Turns out there was two floors to cut through just to get a vice grip on that spinning nut. If you do cut the floor it will be right under the passenger seat drivers side. Close to the rising part of the floor. The fuel lines for my truck run off the side and dip into the frame rail. I used a saws all and a pneumatic chisel. Made lots of noise but it cut it just fine. I didn't remove any pieces. I just folded the metal back and when I was done, and slapped myself in the head for all the uneccessary work, I folded back the metal and put some tar on the joins and pressed some shop towels over it and tarred the whole thing to keep out fumes. Big pain in butt but I didn't know at the time I could just cut the bolt and replace the "U" nut. Good Luck

Just drop the tank, there is not that much space between the tank and underbody, cut one of those lines and you wish you would have just paid someone to do it. Plus once you cut that body, rust is almost eminent.

Go to a local tool supply and pick up a cheap transmission jack, I picked one up at harbor freight for $35, it will make the job really easy, I was able to drop the tank in my Suburban when it was full with this thing, very handy to have around.
    Last edited by 86Burb; 03-04-2009 at 03:45 PM.
    99 Suburban,5.7, Blackbear Tune, Magnaflow Catback, Volant CAI.
    86 Suburban 350 2WD
    73 C10 Custom Stepside, 454, 5/7 Drop
    69 Camaro Drop Top
    68 California Special GT Mustang
    34 Ford Roadster--Coming Soon

No room for my brilliance Honey Bear's Avatar

^X2 those are great for lots of things.

Quote Originally Posted by GreaseDog View Post
    you're a big paul bunyan lookin mutha fvcka.. i'd be scared to tell you not to pee in the middle of the back yard and not to leave your beer cans in the shower

alright seriously dude just drop the tank it will be much easier and you wont have a hole in your floor. its really not even hard at all whatsoever i did it on mine outside at 30 above

If you cant do a tank drop at home or a buddy's house than flat tow it to the nearest parking lot , drop the tank and be done with it . you are going thru way too much trouble IMO . If you really want to butcher the truck thats your choice I cant stop you but for safty and your wallets sake drop the tank FIRST . and if you must do it with the tank in place have multiple fire extingishters around 1 in the truck 1 just out side the garage and 2 in the house so then it goes up in flames you can slow down the fire . I dont want to sound mean but cutting the floor w/ the tank in place is a STUPID idea as far as safty is concerned . would I cut out the floor on my burd or blazer if the pump gave up the ghost again ? Yes , but only with the tank re-moved . I wish you luck just don't get hurt or hurt anybody else.
    Last edited by kevinschoeneman; 03-06-2009 at 01:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinschoeneman
    If you cant do a tank drop at home or a buddy's house than flat tow it to the nearest parking lot , drop the tank and be done with it . you are going thru way too much trouble IMO . If you really want to butcher the truck thats your choice I cant stop you but for safty and your wallets sake drop the tank FIRST . and if you must do it with the tank in place have multiple fire extingishters around 1 in the truck 1 just out side the garage and 2 in the house so then it goes up in flames you can slow down the fire . I dont want to sound mean but cutting the floor w/ the tank in place is a STUPID idea as far as safty is concerned . would I cut out the floor on my burd or blazer if the pump gave up the ghost again ? Yes , but only with the tank re-moved . I wish you luck just don't get hurt or hurt anybody else.
    X2

You can use ratchet/tie down straps to ease tank down.
    Quote Originally Posted by tatoodkelt
    When approaching a four-way stop, the vehicle with the largest tires always has the right of way.
    Quote Originally Posted by possom813
    I can deal with loud and uncomfortable, hell I've been married for 8 years.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast