If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Driver side temp control - 2004 Silverado

This is a discussion on Driver side temp control - 2004 Silverado within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I have a 2004 Silverado RCSB Z71 with manaul climate control. I'm having issues with the driver side temp control ...

Driver side temp control - 2004 Silverado

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I have a 2004 Silverado RCSB Z71 with manaul climate control. I'm having issues with the driver side temp control not working properly. It seems to always blow cold... which would be fine if it was summer. The passenger side works as it should... heat and a/c work.

I found the tech article at this link http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/...king-99-a.html.

I found the actuator and removed it to inspect and the gears looked good. I then reinstalled the actuator.

I followed the instructions and removed the HVAC fuse etc..

When I turned the truck on I was able to select heat and a/c. I turned the truck off and the next time I turned it on it was stuck cold again.. no heat.

I'm assuming the actuator is good if the heat works sporadically. It also seems like every 10 cycles the heat will work as it should, then the next time I crank it ... no heat.

It seems software related, but I'd hope it's something I could fix myself. I was thinking of going to a junk yard and getting a 05-06 model's actuator to see if there was a updated part.

Has anyone experienced this problem with the driver's side temp control? It seems common on these trucks, but I can't figure why it's so sporadic.
    2004 Silverado RCSB Z71 with the 5.3

Re: Driver side temp control - 2004 Silverado

Needs an actuator. Its got a potentiometer in there (like a throttle position sensor) that goes out or acts up. My diagnosis consists of taking the Tech 2 and doing an actuator recalibration which typically renders the actuator inoperable. I go get one from parts and all is well.

Just be happy it wasn't the passengers side. GM service info says pull the dash out. We have our methods though.
    Last edited by oldred95; 03-04-2009 at 06:38 PM.
    1995 Silverado - ported vortec heads, 4L80E, efans, LT4 Hot Cam, Rear disc brake conversion w/drilled and slotted rotors
    1999 NBS Silverdo - transgo HD2 shift kit, 3 inch dynomax ultra flow, Ford keys and 305/70-16 Mickey ATZs

I've heard the passenger side is a pain as well.

Do you think I should go with a used junk yard part? Do you know if there has been an updated part also?

I fixed the other problem I was having... no defrost. When I would select defrost it would blow only on the feet. Basically I only had front, front/feet/, feet. No defrost at all.

I found where the air mode actuator was located and watched it's action with my head under the dash. It appears I must have jumped a few gears b/c it's travel never was enough to open the defrost. I loosened the air mode actuator and adjusted it's travel. Now I get defrost/feet when defrost is selected so I know I'm almost there. It got dark before I could adjust it some more.

These actuators are pretty crappy. It seems to cause a lot of problems on vehicles. My daily driver's front door lock actuator went out which caused havic on the stock alarm system. I like my wife's accord... a cable does all the work for HVAC... it opens the heater core valve and manual moves air modes. No issues with it and it has 260K miles

Bump... does anyone know if this actuator has an updated part # or should I go with a junk yard part?

Quote Originally Posted by joutlaw
    Bump... does anyone know if this actuator has an updated part # or should I go with a junk yard part?
    i also have the same problem with my 04 avalanche but it is the passenger side.

Is it wise to replace both actuators while in there?
    Last edited by slicpartna; 03-21-2009 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by slicpartna
    i also have the same problem with my 04 avalanche but it is the passenger side.

Is it wise to replace both actuators while in there?
    bump

i have a simular problem on my 2004 silverado 5.3. I will have my truck on max air and on occasion the driver side will blow heat. The driver side blows over 100% and the passenger blows 50 in 95% weather. The wierd thing is when i shut the truck off and back on it works properly. Its not an emergency but annoying. So if you find a solution please tell they might relate.
    Thank you.

I am having similar problem. Lots of problems with 03 thru 07 HVAC, gm won't admit it. Unfortunately I had my battery die several times just for luck [some times you couldnt turn the fan off] in between not getting heat. No more GM for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mharris View Post
    i have a simular problem on my 2004 silverado 5.3. I will have my truck on max air and on occasion the driver side will blow heat. The driver side blows over 100% and the passenger blows 50 in 95% weather. The wierd thing is when i shut the truck off and back on it works properly. Its not an emergency but annoying. So if you find a solution please tell they might relate.
    Thank you.

Old Geezers know stuff... dlstewart01's Avatar

The drivers side is on the 1st page, the passenger side in on the 2nd page...

http://chevroletforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22624
    Last edited by dlstewart01; 11-02-2010 at 06:16 PM.
    05 GMC Sierra, Ext Cab, 5.3

"Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

3/5 Cav, C Troop, Blacks Knights, Vietnam, 1969

You need to replace the actuators. I would not do JY parts as they may have the same problem. I got a set from rock auto and second
    set 2 years later from the dealer. Dealer parts seem to be lasting so far. I have the little deal with a 9 volt battery that plugs into the
    cig lighter for when the battery needs disconnected.
    04 ECSB 5.3 4x4 Z71
    06 Front clip, Reflexion steel hood, Escalade touch screen nav, Escalade wood steering wheel
    06 E Fans and Rad, 2 Alpine subs, 250 amp MechMan alternator, Dual battery with isolator
    " Self Jump Starts Rock" Line X, Open country AT2, PCM4Less tune and learning HP Tuners

Double post
    Last edited by mrgrim; 11-02-2010 at 06:30 PM.
    04 ECSB 5.3 4x4 Z71
    06 Front clip, Reflexion steel hood, Escalade touch screen nav, Escalade wood steering wheel
    06 E Fans and Rad, 2 Alpine subs, 250 amp MechMan alternator, Dual battery with isolator
    " Self Jump Starts Rock" Line X, Open country AT2, PCM4Less tune and learning HP Tuners