If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

01 Silverado Automatic Transmission Problem

This is a discussion on 01 Silverado Automatic Transmission Problem within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I have a 2001 Chevy Silverado K1500 (5.3L V8). This morning, I was driving down the interstate at standard highway ...

01 Silverado Automatic Transmission Problem

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I have a 2001 Chevy Silverado K1500 (5.3L V8). This morning, I was driving down the interstate at standard highway speeds, when all of a sudden my RPMs shot up to about 4k.

The automatic transmission wouldn't go past third gear, and third gear itself was hinkey. If I accelerated up to 65 miles per hour, I could maintain it at about 4000 RPM, but if I let off the accelerator and idled, it would fail to power the wheels. I would then have to slow down enough to drop to second gear, or manually shift it to 2nd, before I could get any power back to the wheels.

I pulled off and checked my automatic transmission fluid, and it was bone dry. I hadn't noticed any leaks, but I don't park in the same location every day, so it's hard to tell. I added about 3 qts of gas station all purpose automatic transmission fluid, but it didn't seem to help. I ended up limping the rest of the way home in 2nd. First and second gears behave flawlessly.

Any ideas?

Re: 01 Silverado Automatic Transmission Problem

It may be leaking but not on the ground. The transmission can leak into the transfer. Wouldn't hurt to check that.
    But it sounds like you need a rebuild.

03 Silverado ECSB, Dmax, Allison, 3.73 G80
    96 Silverado ECSB, 350, 4L60E, 3.73's Powertrax Locker
    05 Cavalier
    74 Corvette Stingray, 350, 4 speed
    49 F-1, flathead 6, 4 speed, 2wd, unknown rear end. Old rust bucket.

1999 NBS silverado 1500 4x4 4L60e tired transmission, stock gears

I have a similar problem. The line to the trans fluid cooler broke and spit out all of my fluid while I was driving in 3rd at about 65mph and all of the sudden the trans acted like it was in neutral. Delivered no power. Brought it home, put about 5 quarts of trans fluid in it and It worked fine for about 3 days. Now it wont shift into 3rd. 1st and 2nd gear seem alright.

ECSB NBS 6+3", 35" KM2,Cognito and Moog steering. headers, hiflow cats
    87 TRX 250r w/ CT 310 kit
    2008 Yamaha R6

Probably burnt up the 3-4 clutches.
    O2 GMC RCSB 4.8L V8 AUTO 3.73's
    rebuilt/beefed up 4L60E(at 43,000miles)
    Matching Ninja 500r