If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

98 chevy OBS 1500 has varying temp gauge

This is a discussion on 98 chevy OBS 1500 has varying temp gauge within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Hey all, The temp gauge on my 1998 chevy 1500 has been jumping around lately. It normally run around 180 ...

98 chevy OBS 1500 has varying temp gauge

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Hey all,

The temp gauge on my 1998 chevy 1500 has been jumping around lately.

It normally run around 180 to 190 degrees, but not sometimes it will jump to 250 F and then stay there about 10 seconds and go back below normal to about 140. then back to normal.

I added some coolant and it seems to help for a little while. I dont see any leaks on the engine or the ground, so i dont know where the coolant is going.

Does anyone have an idea to start with.

I was thinking thermostat but not quite sure.

Thanks,Matt

1998 Chevy K1500 Z71 5.7L -True Duals w/ glasspacks, Airaid Intake, Nitto Terra Grappler 265/75/R16, 22 LED clearance lights, Dual Interstate Battery's, Billet grille Bug shield. No camper shell...

UNDER CONSTRUCTION.......

Re: 98 chevy OBS 1500 has varying temp gauge

well a jumping up and down temp usually means low coolant... just be sure to fill up the radiator and overflow tank.

if the level is good then change out the thermostat for a new one. its cheap and easy to swap out!
    97 C1500 Extended cab 3rd door 5.7, 4/6 djm drop, 30bar billet grill

need any OBS parts and some NBS parts PM me. im a junk yard whore and go all the time.
    tho please small parts for shipping

i was losing some coolant in my obs with 350, it was the radiator cap gasket, new 16 psi cap and the coolant level stablized.

the other time i was losing coolant it was the intake manifold gaskets, had them replaced and solved the problem.

But with both issues never had problems with temp gauge jumping aound.

with the older 350's you need to check coolant level as often or even more often than motor oil level.

have you recently done water pump, t-stat heater core etc?
    Sounds like possible air bubble or else sticking t-stat.

maybe faulty temp sender.
    97 Gmc 4x4 350 True duals w/glasspacks
    K&N

I'm curious like a cat... thats why my friends call me whiskers.

Liberals kill babies, Conservatives kill Terrorists.

no water pump work recently.

I went and added some coolant to the radiator itself, it was very low, i have to get more coolant to fill it all the way up, probably 1/2 gallon will go in the radiator. and a couple of minutes later i see a few drops of coolant/water dripping from near the oil pan. it not oil though... I have not started the truck at all either. I dont see any hoses leaking or fresh coolant around the motor. just the normal dirt and grime
    Last edited by trucking_matt; 03-28-2009 at 10:20 AM.

1998 Chevy K1500 Z71 5.7L -True Duals w/ glasspacks, Airaid Intake, Nitto Terra Grappler 265/75/R16, 22 LED clearance lights, Dual Interstate Battery's, Billet grille Bug shield. No camper shell...

Piloting the Land Yacht Texsbluethunder's Avatar

More than likely you have air in the system, take off the rad cap while the engine is cool, and start it up and let it run unitl it gets to running temp. You should be able to feel the upper radiator hose get warm when the t-stat opens. If there is air in the system it will bubble out the open cap.
    '96 Chevy K1500HD ECLB, 385,000km and still goin strong...ish, Rebuilt 355 w/4L60e on its last legs
    '07 Pontiac G5, Wifes Blurple commuter, 97,000km
    78/80/93 GMC in many pieces and places waiting for time and effort.