If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Proper vale adjustment

This is a discussion on Proper vale adjustment within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Ok i have read numerous threads looking for the proper valve adjustment for a vortec 350. I need to readjust ...

Proper vale adjustment

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Ok i have read numerous threads looking for the proper valve adjustment for a vortec 350.
    I need to readjust my valves tomorrow and i was planning on doing them while the truck is warm.
    I was going to get the motor hot, remove the valve cover. loosen the rocker til it taps. tighten til the tap is gone then go 1/2 turn. i hear 1/4 turn, 1/2 turn 3/4 turn and 1 full turn. which is right?

Supporting Gold Member GreaseDog's Avatar

Re: Proper vale adjustment

1/2 turn has worked for me before. i dont like setting them with the engine running though, too messy.
    77 Chevy K20 - 80 GMC K2500 (in pieces)
    90 Chevy K3500 - 93 Chevy C2500 (in pieces) - 94 Chevy K1500

2nd Amendment Supporter mudbuddy's Avatar

so GD how do you set em with the engine off? I have a set of slide on clips that go on the rocker arms and cover the oil holes, works great keeping the oil from shooting all over the inner fender panels.

Supporting Gold Member GreaseDog's Avatar

haynes or chiltons manuals have a sequence on which valves to adjust with the #1 piston at TDC, then rotate it 180*, and to the rest of them. take the pushrod between your fingers, and roll it back and forth, when you get to the point that you start feeling resistance, go 1/2 turn more. works every time.
    77 Chevy K20 - 80 GMC K2500 (in pieces)
    90 Chevy K3500 - 93 Chevy C2500 (in pieces) - 94 Chevy K1500

thats the way i did mine grease but the manual i was using said to go a full turn after finding zero lash.

I know the manuals say to do a full turn, but that is too much for me. I've tried going the full turn past zero lash and the truck runs rough; seems like a good way to bend a pushrod. I agree with using 1/2 a turn.
    1997 K1500 - Vortec 350, Edelbrock shorty headers, Magnaflow Catback, 0411 swap, Self tuned
    1995 Tahoe - TBI 350 with Vortec heads, 4WD, Edelbrock shorty headers, Flowmaster 50 series, Self tuned

ok, when i did this, i went 1/4 turn, whats the engine doing after you do one? it seems to bogg down

1997 K1500 Built vortec 355
    transbuilderguy built 4L65E, yank, 14 bolt

Are you adjusting it when running when it bogs down? I always adjust the engine when cold now. Typically when you start the engine up after you have just adjusted the valves it will run rough for a few seconds until the lifters get pumped up with oil, but that's normal. 1/4 turn should be fine.

If you adjust the engine when running it definitely will bog down for a second or two as you adjust each valve, but again this is normal as long as it doesn't stay like this.
    1997 K1500 - Vortec 350, Edelbrock shorty headers, Magnaflow Catback, 0411 swap, Self tuned
    1995 Tahoe - TBI 350 with Vortec heads, 4WD, Edelbrock shorty headers, Flowmaster 50 series, Self tuned

yea engine runnin, it stables out, bnut just wondering why it does tht

2nd Amendment Supporter mudbuddy's Avatar

James, GD is adjusting them the way I set my solid lifter lash on the race motor, the reason it will run funky when setting 1 turn while running and then starts to run fine is it takes awhile for the lifter to bleed off some oil pressure and it is hanging the valve open a tad bit. The best setting is 1/2 turn after the noise is gone, so I just set them till they no longer clack, shut the motor off and then do 1/2 turn on each valve, let the lifters bleed off and then restart the engine back up.

o, ok. thanks for clearing that up for me mudbuddy.