GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Need help Steering Column/Multi Func Switch

This is a discussion on Need help Steering Column/Multi Func Switch within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Does anyone have a step by step on how to remove and replace the Multifunction switch ( turn signal switch) ...

Need help Steering Column/Multi Func Switch

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Does anyone have a step by step on how to remove and replace the Multifunction switch ( turn signal switch) on a 1996 Chevy Tahoe. I have 3rd brakelight working but no regulars or Hazards....I have replaced Circut boiards, Stoplight switch, Fuses and Bulbs and checked connections. I know this can be a touchy deal...and things break easy.

I'd rather be wrenching. olbessie89's Avatar

Re: Need help Steering Column/Multi Func Switch

Did you try a Haynes manual, I've never dug into the dash on your year truck... but on my '95 Dodge the Haynes had the instructions on how to replace that exact part and it even had a GM part number on the multi-function switch... who knows, might not be that different.

Mine melted a bit cos I was young, stupid, and put in hotter foglamps... caused a whole bunch of lighting probs.
    1989 Chevy K1500 Z71/350CID - 180K
    2005 Volkswagen GTI 1.8t - 59K

No I have not tried there yet..was hoping someone had done it and could offer tricks to doing it....
    1996 Tahoe 5.7
    1995 Camaro Z28 LT1 Convertable
    1998 GMC Sonoma 4x4
    1996 Toyota Tercel ( The Frog )
    1987 Dodge Dakota 4x4 on Boggers

Not to interfere but I have heard that the four way flasher switch can fail and cause the problems mentioned.

Ronnie
    "96 ECSB Totalled 11/06 "99 ECSB K1500 5.3 Base Silverado with 320K miles on the clock "01 GMC CCSB K2500 6.0 153K with 19.5" Michelin Medium Duty Tires "95 Cummins TD 310/751

hippies hate deathmetal! Blaze5509's Avatar

I have an 04 so it is a whole diferent beast but I had a similar problem recently. It ended up being the wiring from the distribution block to the taillights. Anyway in my thread a bunch of guys were mentioning multi funtion switches and how to test them...I was one step away from being in the same boat.

hippies hate deathmetal! Blaze5509's Avatar

Loves GMT400 haters someotherguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteppinLo
    Not to interfere but I have heard that the four way flasher switch can fail and cause the problems mentioned.

Ronnie
    Right, which is integrated in the multifunction switch on the 1995-up design. Everything is in one switch. Hazards, high/low beam, turn signals, wipers, cruise...and it fails in numerous ways. Most common is the hazard button just plain quits working, or gets broken off.

Richard

That is my problem I am 99% sure The MF Switch toast( No Low Beams, Brakelights or Hazards)....Just looking for a Steering Column dismantle procedure of possible step by step....Local Gm Guys do it 10-20 times a week....Ifigured someone knows what to do.
    1996 Tahoe 5.7
    1998 GMC Sonoma 4x4

I've only pulled 1 or 2 apart and it's been a little while so bear with me, might not be 100%.

Remove two or three torx screws buried in the bottom of the plastic clamshell around the column. As you pull it down you'll see it hooks in at the rear to the top part of the shell. Unhook and remove. I can't remember 100% but I seem to recall gently prying the bezel off the ignition switch to remove the upper part of the shell. It pops off fairly easily (different design from the 94-down where if you remove it, it's broken.)

With the shell off you should be able to see the screws that attach the MF switch.

To disconnect the harness for it, you'll need to remove the knee bolster plastic, which is several (4?) 7mm screws, and gently pry the parking brake release handle off its cable with a screwdriver through the side slots in the handle. This can break easily so be careful. Then pop the bolster plastic off. Four 15mm nuts to remove the support bar behind it, then 7mm bolt through the center of the harness connection to pop it loose.

EDIT - now that I think about it, you may want to see if you can spot the connector without removing all that crap. Last one I did, I was pulling the entire interior anyway so that stuff was coming out no matter what; you may be able to see it without removing the bottom of the dash.

Richard
    Last edited by someotherguy; 04-08-2009 at 09:57 AM.

That sounds simple...was worried about the Air bag popping...lol...Why would this bill out at almost 3 hours labor?....WOW...My Local Shop quoted me 283.00 labor and 439.00 for the part....Thank you much
    Last edited by DirtyJoe; 04-08-2009 at 10:39 AM.
    1996 Tahoe 5.7
    1998 GMC Sonoma 4x4

They're padding the crap out of the bill. That's full retail+ for the part at dealer prices. Check the price on gmpartsdirect.com.

For the labor, they may also be pricing removing the airbag and steering wheel, which is not at all necessary IIRC. Even if they did need to, it's not a 3 hour job. Not even close.

Richard

Yeah I did not intend to take it there but they usually help me measure the workload to do the job....I appreciate your help.
    1996 Tahoe 5.7
    1998 GMC Sonoma 4x4

I did it on my '96 c1500, not too bad although not something I want to do frequently. here's what chiltons has to say about a '96 tahoe:

------------------------------------------
    Removal & Installataion
    CAUTION
    When performing service around the SIR system components or wiring, the SIR system MUST be disabled. Failure to do so could result in possible air bag deployment, personal injury or unneeded SIR system repairs.

Make sure the switch is in the OFF position.

Remove the Steering Wheel as outlined in this section.

Disconnect the tilt wheel lever by pulling it out.

Remove the knee bolster and the Torx® head screws from the lower column cover.

Lower the cover by tilting it down and then sliding it back to disengage the locking tabs.

Remove the Torx® head screws from the upper column cover.

Remove the steering column lock set and the upper cover.

Disconnect the wiring harness straps from the steering column wiring harness.

Remove the retainer from Connector Position Assurance (CPA) if equipped.

Disengage the connector from the Brake Transmission Shift Interlock (BTSI) if equipped.

Unplug the gray and black connectors from the bulkhead connector.

Unfasten the Torx® head screws from the switch and remove the switch.

To install:

Installation is the reverse of removal but please note the following important steps.

Install the switch. Use a small blade screwdriver to compress the electrical contact and move the switch into position. The electrical contact must rest on the canceling cam assembly.

Fasten the Torx® head screws on the switch. Tighten the screws to 53 inch. lbs. (6 Nm).

Install the upper column cover and fasten the column bracket nuts. Tighten the nuts to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm).

Install the knee bolster and the steering column cylinder lock. Tighten the column cover Torx® screws to 12 inch. lbs. (1.4 Nm).

Install the lower column cover and tighten the Torx® screws 53 inch. lbs. (6 Nm).

Make sure the switch is in the off position and install the steering wheel. Refer to this section for this procedure.

Enable the SIR system (if equipped).
    -------------------------------------------------------------

hopefully that helps, the weird part was the inverse torq head screws, if you can find the socket, they're an E5, however a 4mm hex head socket fits it well enough to remove/install them, they just hold the cover on so its not something that needs to be torqued down hard.
    Last edited by Aloicious; 04-08-2009 at 02:34 PM.

1996 C1500 ECSB 5.7L AKA the "LS31", distributorless w/LS2 coils, RHS Heads, ZZ4 Cam, T56 6 speed, 12200411 PCM, 4.88s...Coming soon: forged twin turbo 383..

I guess I'll have to try this one of these days, I seem to recall reading others saying it is NOT necessary to remove the steering wheel. Vague recollection of it though.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by someotherguy
    I guess I'll have to try this one of these days, I seem to recall reading others saying it is NOT necessary to remove the steering wheel. Vague recollection of it though.

Richard
    you're right, I didn't remove the steering wheel, its not NEEDED, but it would have made the job a bit easier. the chiltons manual recommends it, but its really not needed.

1996 C1500 ECSB 5.7L AKA the "LS31", distributorless w/LS2 coils, RHS Heads, ZZ4 Cam, T56 6 speed, 12200411 PCM, 4.88s...Coming soon: forged twin turbo 383..

Best way to disable the Supplemenetal Inflatable Restraint System?
    1996 Tahoe 5.7
    1998 GMC Sonoma 4x4

I will post a step by step once I am done...some tricky spots.
    1996 Tahoe 5.7
    1998 GMC Sonoma 4x4

Have you finished this yet? I have to do the same thing, and I don't want to remove the wheel either if I do not have to.

Randy