***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

best brand for wheel bearing?

This is a discussion on best brand for wheel bearing? within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; So i think i have some wheel bearing noise coming from the left front tire on my truck. im gonna ...

best brand for wheel bearing?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    So i think i have some wheel bearing noise coming from the left front tire on my truck. im gonna jack it up later on today and do the wheel wiggle test to see if anythings bad. but in the mean time, what is the best brand for a wheel bearing? i looked briefly at Advance auto parts web site and all i saw was NTP?

what are some other brands that are better. And im not afraid to spend a little money to get the best part.
    Back in a truck!
    Current: 2014 GMC Sierra Z71 All Terrain
    Past: 2002 Silverado|5.3|RCX|Cognito|Blackbear

Completed:HID TSX Projector Retrofit

Re: best brand for wheel bearing?

When I did the hub/bearings in my Slo-Noma, the only ones that were worth a sh*t were the AC Delco ones. At the time, I worked for a dealership chain, so it wasn't too bad cost-wise. I don't know who makes them for GM. I had tried a couple of aftermarket ones with horrible luck (one failed after 6000 miles, another had a sensor wire fall right out, one failed after 2500 miles).

I did the fronts on my Tahoe last fall and used Timken units that I purchased through Rock Auto for a song and they have been excellent. Probably put 8000 miles on them so far.
    1999 2 Door Tahoe 4x4 w/ 14 Bolt SF & TruTrac. All kinds of upgrades, SOLD 1/2012
    2008 Silverado 1500 Z71, leveling kit, exhaust, SOLD 9/2014
    2014 Silverado 1500 Z71, stock for now

yea i saw Timken on Rock auto.

im running by my stealership today to have them look at them for me. but if i have to replace them, ill do it myself.

how hard are they?
    Back in a truck!

FWIW, I found the same Timken hubs (same part number from RockAuto) at Autozone for about $120.
    '01 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 ECSB

I replaced mine with Timken.
    00 RCSB Z71/JBA cat-back/Z71 Tahoe valance/EBC slotted&drilled rotors with SS lines & SS braided hoses/Edelbrock headers/BB tune/6000k HID low beam & fog lamps/Auto-headlight disable mod(nice)/Vette servo/LT1 E-fans/LED gauge cluster/Titan 18" wheels/Rollpan/Belltech rear sway bar/2-4 drop

well i went by the stealership today to have a mechanic look at the bearings....turns out theyre fine.

so i got something else up front making noise. he thinks its something in the front diff. so we drained the oil from it and took a look at the drain plug and sure enough there were some metal shards clinging to the magnet on the drain plug....great.
    Back in a truck!

How big are the shards. Metal flakes and residue is acceptable, especially if the front diff hasn't been drained before, but large shards is probably a bad sign.
    00 RCSB Z71/JBA cat-back/Z71 Tahoe valance/EBC slotted&drilled rotors with SS lines & SS braided hoses/Edelbrock headers/BB tune/6000k HID low beam & fog lamps/Auto-headlight disable mod(nice)/Vette servo/LT1 E-fans/LED gauge cluster/Titan 18" wheels/Rollpan/Belltech rear sway bar/2-4 drop

I purchased Timkens from rock auto for my 95 half ton, the originals which I took off were also timken and they also had the same bearing numbers on the old one as the new one had. I've had great luck with them so far. Like what was said before, small shavings are normal. The other thing I wanted to know is how they tested the front bearings, they won't show any signs of wear by grabbing the tire and moving it up and down unless they are really bad. The only way I've been able to tell if they are bad is when you remove the hub unit from the vehicle and spin the bearing and feel if it is rough, otherwise, don't let them talk you into a new front diff over a few minute shavings.

Quote Originally Posted by Tweaks
    How big are the shards. Metal flakes and residue is acceptable, especially if the front diff hasn't been drained before, but large shards is probably a bad sign.
    i had just changed the oil in the front diff about 10k miles ago or so and there were some metal shavings on the magnet then. the mechanic said that it was normal. but this time i saw the magnet and it was worse than it was before. and in just 10k miles? also it smelled like oil was burning....and i do have the grinding noise still.

Quote Originally Posted by 88Chevy350
    I purchased Timkens from rock auto for my 95 half ton, the originals which I took off were also timken and they also had the same bearing numbers on the old one as the new one had. I've had great luck with them so far. Like what was said before, small shavings are normal. The other thing I wanted to know is how they tested the front bearings, they won't show any signs of wear by grabbing the tire and moving it up and down unless they are really bad. The only way I've been able to tell if they are bad is when you remove the hub unit from the vehicle and spin the bearing and feel if it is rough, otherwise, don't let them talk you into a new front diff over a few minute shavings.
    they took off my wheels and brakes and spun them, i even walked out to the garage and looked at them. the bearings are fine.
    Last edited by blackknight; 04-08-2009 at 06:16 PM.
    Back in a truck!