GM Inside - Muscle Cars - Jeep

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Ignition Coil 98' 350 Vortec

This is a discussion on Ignition Coil 98' 350 Vortec within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Hey guys hope someone can help me out please. Need guidance on taking the coil bracket off so I can ...

Ignition Coil 98' 350 Vortec

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Hey guys hope someone can help me out please. Need guidance on taking the coil bracket off so I can replace the coil. What bolts am I missing? I get the top 2 10mm bolt heads off of the intake manifold and it still feels solidly attatched. I replaced cap/rotor, plugs yesterday so I'm familiar with how things are laid out. Any other tips/thoughs are appreciated, Like the rivits that hold the stock coil in the bracket, planned on just drilling out the tabs. Of course I cant find my manual at the moment. If you have done this task please chime in. Many thanks from Texas!

Re: Ignition Coil 98' 350 Vortec

im pretty sure its only 2 bolts holding it down, thats all mine has. your sayin even after you removed the 2 bolts, it still wont move?

1997 K1500 Built vortec 355
    transbuilderguy built 4L65E, yank, 14 bolt

James yeah only 2 10mm nuts bascially as the bolts stay in the manifold and it looks like the brkt sits over those 2 bolts that stick up. Maybe it's in a bind between those 2 bolts, but dont wanna man handle that assembly if it's truly has a hidden hold down. My luck i would break something else. So if we get more folks confirming only 2 bolts then I'm confident I can wiggle it out of there. Thx

yea its in a bind. now that i think about it

1997 K1500 Built vortec 355
    transbuilderguy built 4L65E, yank, 14 bolt

I am having the same problem. How did you finally get the coil out?

Thanks
    Rick

On the vortec motors the coil bracket is held on by 2 studs similar to the 10mm studs which hold the upper manifold. When you remove the 2 10mm nuts you have to pull the harness and its bracket back away and then you can remove the studs with a 10mm deep socket and the coil/icm come off with the bracket. The factory coil is riveted on so you will need a drill or dremel tool and a punch to remove the rivets, and if your replacement coil does not come with mounting hardware you will need some machine screws and nylon lock nuts to attach it.

Thanks for the info! I thought that is what I was seeing but wanted to be sure I wasn't overlooking something. Chevy engineers kill me. Why rivet the dang thing on!!????