GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

steering wheel removal

This is a discussion on steering wheel removal within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; how do i remove the steering wheel from my 98 chevy pickup ....mostly just the AIRBAG i know i need ...

steering wheel removal

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    how do i remove the steering wheel from my 98 chevy pickup ....mostly just the AIRBAG i know i need to puller for the wheel but how do i get the bag out i need to put my billet steering wheel on asap thanks you

Re: steering wheel removal

pm'd

-Joe
    Last edited by DenaliJoe; 05-21-2009 at 04:44 PM.

Can someone put on here how to remove the steering wheel...or pm it to me as well...itd be appreciated.

CARDOMAIN
    '98 Silverado 1500 Z71 | 2" Suspension | 285 Cooper ST's | American Racing Atlas' | 2" Cowl | CAI | Wait4Me Tune | Flex-a-Lite Dual E-Fans | Lock-Right | Vette Servo | True Duals | Blue LED's
    '03 Silverado 1500 Z71

and will it throw any codes not having the airbag?

1995 Tahoe-Alpine 9886, Kicker 750.1,Rockford Fosgate 40x2, 4 10" Infinity Subs,Planet Audio Line Driver.Big 3.
    New to me- 96 ecsb, alpine 9886, rest of stereo undecided.

I know it will make the air bag light come on but i dont think the SES light will come on...I'm putting a grant steering wheel in and i just plan on taking the air bag light bulb out of my cluster...

CARDOMAIN
    '98 Silverado 1500 Z71 | 2" Suspension | 285 Cooper ST's | American Racing Atlas' | 2" Cowl | CAI | Wait4Me Tune | Flex-a-Lite Dual E-Fans | Lock-Right | Vette Servo | True Duals | Blue LED's
    '03 Silverado 1500 Z71

I guess I don't really need help with the steering wheel removal...more so the air bag...

CARDOMAIN
    '03 Silverado 1500 Z71

Supporting Member

on the back of the center section of the wheel there are two screws and on each side of those screws there is 2 holes. Just put a small philips screw driver and there and you will feel a little pressure then a click. Those are spring clips that hold the bag on. Just push in the springs and it will come off.

95 ecsb 5.7 3" BL, 285's, smoothed interior,headers,AFPR, floor shifter, nnbs tail spoiler
    Audio- Flip up touchscreen D.A. components 2 12" Memphis Ref. Series and much more to come
    Aaron

Push them towards the center of the steering wheel...i had a little trouble with that because i didn't know you had to push them towards the middle...just a tip

CARDOMAIN
    '03 Silverado 1500 Z71

Jer

disconnect your battery prior to doing any work relating to your airbags. let the truck sit for 30 minutes MINIMUM. DO NOT disconnect the battery and then go straight to work on your airbags without letting it sit.
    Last edited by Jer; 10-11-2009 at 09:02 PM.
    "In our darkest hour...we look to the sky. With a silent prayer...BELIEVE God's on our side. In the land where FREEDOM reigns...and where eagles fly."

woops...i unhooked the battery but then pretty much went right to work...whats it matter if it sits or not??

CARDOMAIN
    '03 Silverado 1500 Z71

Quote Originally Posted by DRUSS25 View Post
    woops...i unhooked the battery but then pretty much went right to work...whats it matter if it sits or not??
    You'll be the first to know. You tell us, lol.

haha...nothing happened to me...definitely would have sucked if it went off...

CARDOMAIN
    '03 Silverado 1500 Z71

just read the manual for disabling SIR.