GM Inside - Muscle Cars - Jeep

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

2000 silverado 5.3 has no pulling power

This is a discussion on 2000 silverado 5.3 has no pulling power within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I got a 2000 Silverado 5.3 2wd with 97000 miles on it. It has a ruff idle and jerks when ...

2000 silverado 5.3 has no pulling power

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I got a 2000 Silverado 5.3 2wd with 97000 miles on it. It has a ruff idle and jerks when climbing hills. It doesnt have any power when pulling a trailer ether. The check engine light isnt on. I put new sparker plugs and fuel filter in it when I got it 2 years ago with 53000 miles. What do yall think is wrong with it?
    Its only money.

Re: 2000 silverado 5.3 has no pulling power

Are you up to date with oil, oil filter, air filter, Basic tune-up stuff?? If it jerks when under a more severe load, but just has low power when under normal load, i would start by looking into your electrical system. Have your alternator checked(they have been known to cause vehicle to idle low, and respond jumpy) when they are starting to die. Also have your coils(little black box attached to every spark plug wire). If it is still driveable then try to check all you can before getting a mechanic to do it. Also does the situation get worse when it is wet outside? have you drove the truck through deep water?

44000 miles on a fuel filter is also not the best idea.
    is the air filter really dirty? that can also cause it to fall on its face when you mash the pedal.

Quote Originally Posted by black5.3 View Post
    Are you up to date with oil, oil filter, air filter, Basic tune-up stuff?? If it jerks when under a more severe load, but just has low power when under normal load, i would start by looking into your electrical system. Have your alternator checked(they have been known to cause vehicle to idle low, and respond jumpy) when they are starting to die. Also have your coils(little black box attached to every spark plug wire). If it is still driveable then try to check all you can before getting a mechanic to do it. Also does the situation get worse when it is wet outside? have you drove the truck through deep water?
    Yes I change my oil every 3000 miles and the air flter is good. I keep my vehicles well maintaned. how do you check the coils? It doesnt get worse when its wet. No I havent drove it in deep water.
    Its only money.

Quote Originally Posted by zebra86 View Post
    44000 miles on a fuel filter is also not the best idea.
    is the air filter really dirty? that can also cause it to fall on its face when you mash the pedal.
    I might change the fuel filter. But I dont think its it. The air filter is ok.
    Its only money.

Do yall think it could be the catalytic converter?
    Its only money.

rollin the nasty D's!!! Double Dueces's Avatar

get that bad bow chipped and unleash that hidden power, the the factory didn't let a know about!!!

'01 XCSB a few mods done to it.
    truck parts http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/...ry/10422/66312

Registered User smokinsilverado's Avatar

Check your fuel pressure, run some fuel injector cleaner through it, check your fuel lines you may have a tiny pin hole in one of the lines

****SOLD****05 Silverado 5.3, Whipple , Nelson tune, JBA Shorties, 80mm BBK Throttle Body, 6" Tuff Country lift, Toyo MT's 35's rolling on 20" MHT Fuel Hostage Wheels, Eclipse Avn62D Navi with 2 small 8's

Quote Originally Posted by smokinsilverado View Post
    Check your fuel pressure, run some fuel injector cleaner through it, check your fuel lines you may have a tiny pin hole in one of the lines
    I might try that.

TTT
    Its only money.

Most of the ls engine coils hold up well. I've seen trucks with over 300k on them with the original coils in working order. You could also try replacing the fuel pressure regulator. They are known to go bad on these trucks.

You prolly have gobs of carbon in your intake and combustion chambers. My 2003 was like that when I bought it... it was obviously only run on 87 or bad quaility fuel and sat for quite a while before I got it(I live in the land of cheap 89). For me, I just ran premium fuel and fuel system cleaner for a month and it ran like new. Some guys here like Seafoam for that too. Spark plug wires also make quite a difference- mine went from a rough 'truck' idle to barely audible just with new wires, and restored some mpgs and torque.
    Last edited by Z71Rado; 06-04-2009 at 06:48 AM.
    '03 1500 LS Z71 4x4. True dual 2.5" Borla Turbo muffs, x-pipe, Magnecore Competition wires, Bilstein HDs, Firestone Destination ATs. Stickers to make it go faster. 142k and climbing! Quiet until you give it gas...

'87 Olds Cutlass Supreme. 403. 'Nuff said.

'04 Grand Am SE. Wifey's car