If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

pulsing lights

This is a discussion on pulsing lights within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; have a 2005 reg cab silverado 1500. the lights started pulsing at night. it is almost like the truck has ...

pulsing lights

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    have a 2005 reg cab silverado 1500. the lights started pulsing at night. it is almost like the truck has a heart beat. have changed the battery and the altenator says it's charging properly. any ideas guys?

Re: pulsing lights

Quote Originally Posted by evanmcleod88 View Post
    have a 2005 reg cab silverado 1500. the lights started pulsing at night. it is almost like the truck has a heart beat. have changed the battery and the altenator says it's charging properly. any ideas guys?
    My 2001 silverado does the same thing, well, every now and then the headlights will dim pretty good on a dark road. Doesnt seem to be related to the A/C kicking on or anything, and like you my battery and altenator are both good. I have no idea. It does seem like a heartbeat....or that may be wishful thinking

all my lights do it even interior lights.

Quote Originally Posted by evanmcleod88 View Post
    all my lights do it even interior lights.
    oh now thats weird. Have to research that a little

I have a friend with an 05 S10 that does the same thing and it drives me crazy to ride in it! All the interior lights and headlights pulse. I figured it had to be charging system related, but he's never tried to fix it.

Has anyone tried replacing the alternator? This has to be a fairly simple fix.

'96 Tahoe...5.7 Vortec...4wd...~205,000...Stock

my 94 does it.. i was told my alternator was putting out to much, i havent got a new one to see if it fixed the problem yet tho

ya altenator is a little pricey to just be changing out.. how i miss warranty!

It's the voltage regulator in the Alt.
    2015 Carlisle All Truck Nats info..
    http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/o...t-7th-9th.html

Quote Originally Posted by CKTA View Post
    It's the voltage regulator in the Alt.
    So you've experienced this and you're sure?

'96 Tahoe...5.7 Vortec...4wd...~205,000...Stock

Could be BCM

If you have a voltmeter, put it on the battery with the truck running. It should be no more than 14.4v and no lower than 13.5ish. Your pulsating lights could be the voltage regulator "bouncing" up and down, or running too low and bouncing up and down. Also check you battery connections and make sure you don't have a deteriorated connection. If you don't have a voltmeter, go to Autozone or a parts store that will come out and test your battery in the vehicle. Their tester will have a voltmeter as part of the test.
    1998 GMC Sierra SLE 1/2 ton 2WD 305 Vortec
    -Gibson Stainless Cat Back Swept Side
    -255/70 BFG Radial T/A on SS 15's

THEBIGBLUE

You have your sub's turned up too loud. Either tone down the boom boom or have a huge, neon painted, capacitor put on the positive feed. You could also try putting some "optima" stickers on the back window. lol! kidding!

I know this is an old post but maybe someone can shed some light. I have a 1989 3500 crew cab with a 350/tbi. My headlights started pulsing ( not all the time )
    and when they do it the alt gauge jumps back and forth along with the lights. I was guessing voltage regulator but welcome any input.

thanks

A lot of these phantom electrical problems can be related to bad connections. Connect a volt meter between the alternator output and the POSITIVE battery connection. There should be a low or no reading, if you get a reading at or above 12-13 volts there is probably a bad connection somewhere. Do the same thing on the ground side between the alternator case and the negative battery terminal. Also depending on where your negative cable connects, there can be a bad ground between engine and chassis, chassis and body etc. Basically the engine sits on rubber mounts the body sits on rubber mounts so all these things need to have proper ground connections. Again any significant reading on any of the ground connections probably indicates a corroded ground connection. Personally I would check all these things before throwing parts at it.

x2 check grounds, but I'd say most likely you have at least one burned up diode in your alternator's rectifier bridge (possibly more). Alternator then only works 1/3 or 2/3 phases, so it still charges battery, but the current dips and voltage fluctuates between 12.5-14 at whatever frequency the alternator is putting out (more noticeable at low engine rpm).

I noticed this on my 4.3 blazer at stop lights and just in general after some big stereo abuse (even when stereo was off). Upgraded to ad244 alternator =).

You can maybe replace the rectifier yourself depending on comfort level. http://springhillautoelectric.com/ is the only source I've found...

I know this is a old thread, but I was having the same issue with my 2005 Silverado 1500 Crew cab. I just replaced the Belt Tensioner. So far, no more pulsing.
    Last edited by chris6520; 09-26-2011 at 12:01 PM.