If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Coolant Leak 00 GMC 5.3

This is a discussion on Coolant Leak 00 GMC 5.3 within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Ok I have a very slow coolant leak on my 00 sierra Z71. I don't see it leaking anywhere. I ...

Coolant Leak 00 GMC 5.3

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Ok I have a very slow coolant leak on my 00 sierra Z71.

I don't see it leaking anywhere. I have used Dye to no avail. it does not leak much but i can see it running off the skid plate a lil bit, and some times I can smell it a lil bit when i first start the truck up and the AC is on

Any ideas thanks in advance.
    Last edited by zipthehuh; 06-25-2009 at 03:10 PM.

Re: Coolant Leak 00 GMC 5.3

Water pump weep hole?
    GregF
    87IROC
    05 GMC Crew Cab 1500 Z71

Quote Originally Posted by 87Iroc View Post
    Water pump weep hole?
    x2.... Also make sure nones getting in your oil or anything via a head gasket or something
    Last edited by ksukats57; 06-25-2009 at 04:52 PM.

2006 Tahoe Z71

If you are getting some coolant on the skid plate then that's a good sign that the water pump is the sight of the leak. The weep hole is where it will drip out of and that can be a tough area ot get to and see to confirm the leak.

I am sort of chasing the same thing but so far I haven't seen a drop on my skid plate. I can smell it, and I am very slowly losing some coolant in the reservoir. I suspect the water pump has a slow leak but I'm waiting for a heavy drip or faster coolant loss before I throw a water pump at it.
    00 RCSB Z71/JBA cat-back/Z71 Tahoe valance/EBC slotted&drilled rotors with SS lines & SS braided hoses/Edelbrock headers/BB tune/6000k HID low beam & fog lamps/Auto-headlight disable mod(nice)/Vette servo/LT1 E-fans/LED gauge cluster/Titan 18" wheels/Rollpan/Belltech rear sway bar/2-4 drop

My 01 5.3 did the same thing... A few drops of coolant evident along the edges of the skidplate but no gushing leak apparent. The bottom of the water pump and front of the oil pan had some white streaks from the dried-on coolant as it ran down towards the skidplate. I followed the steaks upwards and they led right to the waterpump weep hole behind the pulley. A new water pump from Napa and no problems... that was 2 years ago!

Not Really Bob

Could be the gaskets, it's a very common problem and is most likely the cause. My brothers 2000 Silverado with a 4.8 leaked coolant very slowly. turns out the older o-ring water pump gaskets (usually orange in color) dried up, shriveled, cracked, etc. and slowly leaked. The newer improved ones should have black rubber(some aftermarket ones are diff colors). So check the gaskets before you dump $120+ on a new pump.
    99 Silverado ECSB 4X4, LQ4, Patriot Stg. 2 243's w/ 59cc chambers, TR224-112, Pacesetter LT's, Nelson tune, FLT Lvl 5.5, PI 3400, UD pulley, 160* t-stat, E-fans, 6'' Fabtech lift, 3'' body lift, 37'' XTerrains, 4.56's, 4'' shackle flip 13.3 @ 99mph on 37's or 13.0 @ 101mph on 31's