***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

1997 K1500 A/C not cooling

This is a discussion on 1997 K1500 A/C not cooling within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Compressor cycles on and off every few seconds. Does not blow any cool air. I added (1) can of freon ...

1997 K1500 A/C not cooling

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Compressor cycles on and off every few seconds. Does not blow any cool air. I added (1) can of freon and that did not make any differance. Neither the high or low pressure lines gets cold. Never had any problems with the a/c before so any help would be great.

Re: 1997 K1500 A/C not cooling

Suggest you start with a pressure reading.

Took a pressure reading of the low side and it is 80 psi. When I start the engine it is 50 psi and when the compressor cycles it drops to 0.

I owned a Ford.....twice stupid friend's Avatar

it was completely flat. look on the shroud, it should tell you how much freon is in the system. The bad part is, if it was flat, you have a leak. If you started the a/c you probably sucked air into the system. that needs to come out before the freon goes in, or it will not work at all.

OK I used the gage that I used to put the freon in with. I had the valve shut on the freon end so I am not sure about the air in the system. Do you suggest that I need to go get it repaired or is this something I can do myself. Would theleak be on the low pressure side? Thanks

#1 Find Leak

#2 Repair Leak

#2a Replace Orifice (optional but highly suggested)

#2b Replace Accumulator (optional but suggested)

#3 Vacuum system

#4 Recharge system

Quote Originally Posted by Finish Line 88 View Post
    OK I used the gage that I used to put the freon in with. I had the valve shut on the freon end so I am not sure about the air in the system. Do you suggest that I need to go get it repaired or is this something I can do myself. Would theleak be on the low pressure side? Thanks

The most common leak is in the compressor. If you have the original compressor you have a "belly leaker". Check for oil on the bottom (or belly) of the compressor.

Compressor is clean and dry on the complete exterior. No signs of oil leak. I am going to try to find the leak with the "leak detector" dye from the local parts house. Thanks