If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

2001 Silverado with fuel pressure regulator problems

This is a discussion on 2001 Silverado with fuel pressure regulator problems within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Need some advice and help on my silverado V6. Engine is missing, changed plugs but already fouled one. Mechanic told ...

2001 Silverado with fuel pressure regulator problems

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Need some advice and help on my silverado V6. Engine is missing, changed plugs but already fouled one. Mechanic told me the fuel pressure regulator is bad. The fuel light keeps coming on and the fuel guage keeps flipping back and forth between empty and what I assume is the correct amount of fuel. Anyone have any suggestions and what it should cost to take care of this? I am not a mechanic and have no idea what I should expect from a garage or whether or not to take it to a dealer. Thanks.

rollin the nasty D's!!! Double Dueces's Avatar

Re: 2001 Silverado with fuel pressure regulator problems

um yeah if it were me, I'd change the fuel pressure reg like the mechanic said!!!

'01 XCSB a few mods done to it.
    truck parts http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/...ry/10422/66312

what was fuel pressure reading?
    Last edited by NEUMANNZZ; 06-30-2009 at 07:01 PM.
    O2 GMC RCSB 4.8L V8 AUTO 3.73's
    rebuilt/beefed up 4L60E(at 43,000miles)
    Matching Ninja 500r

I Hate You All, Equally.

If the fuel level sensor is gonna be acting up like that, could be a sign of your fuel pump on the way out.

Hook up a fuel pressure gauge to the schrader valve, located on what looks to be a fuel rail on the drivers side of the intake manifold. Check to see the priming, starting, cold engine and then warm engine fuel pressure readings. See if there is any pressure drop during any of these actions. If you see a slow loss of pressure it would be your regulator. Another sign is that it's hard to start after sitting for a few hours or overnight.

Could also be the fuel pump dying out. It can cause a misfire if it's pumping erratically, it's usually pretty subtle as it starts. The fact that you're fuel tank level reading would drop and return at such a rapid rate. The fuel pressure regulator has no bearing on it's reading, whether good or not. Might even be something as simple as the pump inlet filter sock clogged with buildup or something.

1983 Jimmy Sierra Classic-Future LSX Swap Recipient
    2002 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LT-Daily Driver
    1995 Corsica-Super-Sleeper in Progress

I Hate You All, Equally.

If the fuel level sensor is gonna be acting up like that, could be a sign of your fuel pump on the way out.

Hook up a fuel pressure gauge to the schrader valve, located on what looks to be a fuel rail on the drivers side of the intake manifold. Check to see the priming, starting, cold engine and then warm engine fuel pressure readings. See if there is any pressure drop during any of these actions. If you see a slow loss of pressure it would be your regulator. Another sign is that it's hard to start after sitting for a few hours or overnight.

Could also be the fuel pump dying out. It can cause a misfire if it's pumping erratically, it's usually pretty subtle as it starts. The fact that you're fuel tank level reading would drop and return at such a rapid rate. The fuel pressure regulator has no bearing on it's reading, whether good or not. Might even be something as simple as the pump inlet filter sock clogged with buildup or something.

1983 Jimmy Sierra Classic-Future LSX Swap Recipient
    2002 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LT-Daily Driver
    1995 Corsica-Super-Sleeper in Progress

Thank you. I sort of determined from all the previous posts that it was either the fuel pump (a '98 blazer i owned previously had a recall on them) or the regulator. I just couldn't figure out why it was making the spark plugs foul. (remember I stated that I know little about the inside of the engine.) I try to arm myself with as much knowledge as possible before I go see a mechanic, it seems they always see me coming and I always feel like they could tell me anything and I would have to pay to have it fixed. I don't like to go in blind and just keep trying different things to the tune of $350 each time. So thanks for your help.