***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

1993 Chevy K1500 stalls at idle

This is a discussion on 1993 Chevy K1500 stalls at idle within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Please help. I have a 1993 Chevy k1500 that started stalling occasionally at idle. I also noticed that the oil ...

1993 Chevy K1500 stalls at idle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Please help. I have a 1993 Chevy k1500 that started stalling occasionally at idle. I also noticed that the oil pressure gauge was eratic. The first thing I deciced to do was replace the oil sending unit. The old one was leaking on the electric plug side. Since I was working near the distributor I opened the cap and saw that it was in bad shape - pretty much burnt on the center of the cap and rotor. I replaced this with a STANDARD brand rotor and cap. The cap has brass conductors. I also decided to change the spark plugs. I put in new Bosch Platinums. The motor was cool and had not been drove that day when I did all this. I cranked it and it ran like brand new. When it warmed up, it started a slight sputter that would get worse until it would stall. It is very easy to crank back up and as long as you have your foot on the gas pedal running around 1,000 rpms in park it runs great. It's only when it starts its "warmed up" slow idle that it stalls. The next day I cranked it and it did the exact same thing. So I asked a mechanic and he recommended changing the IACV. I installed it just like it said. The old one looked very bad. I cranked it and let it run. After it warmed up it stalled again. I cranked it and turn on the air cond. and I think by watching the rpms stay pretty steady around 800-900 rpms, I think it is working right. But, still it will stall. If i press the gas pedal just a little it straightens back up for about 10 seconds or so.

I was reading about egr stuff in the haynes book and the vaccum to the egr solenoid is good. There is no vaccum on the egr valve side of this solenoid while it is in park running. I don't hear any vaccum leaks. The only thing I know I did wrong was put too much oil in the motor at the same time I was doing all of the tune-ups. And I ran it for about a minute then figured out what I had done then I changed the oil and filter.

Please let me know what I should try or check.

Thanks, Vern

Re: 1993 Chevy K1500 stalls at idle

I have a 92 3500 with a 7.4 acting the same way.

New IACV, EGR valve good, EGR vacuum solenoid good.

I started chasing this down two years ago. I did: rotor, cap, wires, gapped the plugs. It got a little better but still has problems.

It's acting like it's running rich to the point of flooding. Cold start is ok, runs great for a few minutes. Then you can hear the ECM cycling the IACV, it opens then closes a little and the engine idles better, then rough, it cycles like this until it stalls.

I haven't replaced the injectors yet. Could they be bad? The manuals say check the charcoal canister. But when I pull the line from the canister it doesn't change behavior, no difference if I plug the line or leave it open.

When I pulled the PCV hose from the throttle body, it idled fine, a little high but it ran ok. So I bought $10 of tube and fittings and put a little breather tee-d into that line, to allow some fresh air into the line along with gases from the PCV. It now idles when not in gear (was stalling even in park or neutral) but still stalls in gear.

Very frustrated. Bad injectors?

Re: 1993 Chevy K1500 stalls at idle

Good News! The problem was my distributor's coil. I small piece of metal was broke off inside of the pickup coil assembly. I'm suprised it even ran to the shop 7 miles from my house. Now it runs like a scalded dog. Sounds good to hear the duels of my 1993 Chevy again.

CPTOMES...see if there is a brown and black wire (EST wire) that can be unplugged underneath the hood on the passenger side behind the black plastic shield that also has some relay. Unplugging this disables the electronic timing advancement. Then check your tach to see if it has a noticable jump instead of being smooth. This is what happened to mine and it stopped stalling with this wire unplugged. This will flag a computer code and cause your check engine light to come on. Cut the truck off and pull the ECM fuse for a few seconds inside the cab to reset the computer, plug the wire back together, crank the truck and it will be just like it was before.
    Last edited by Vern H; 07-15-2009 at 08:30 PM.