***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

cons of each brand? (GMc/chevy,ford,dodge)

This is a discussion on cons of each brand? (GMc/chevy,ford,dodge) within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; i was just curious what everybody though of as far as cons of each brand...i know this is a biased ...

cons of each brand? (GMc/chevy,ford,dodge)

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    i was just curious what everybody though of as far as cons of each brand...i know this is a biased forum but i'll admit it GM trucks aren't perfect but my god i'll drive one til i die...
    2004 1500 5.3 standard cab long box Z85

Stupidity is the number one sin

the sea hates a coward rebelbowtie's Avatar

Re: cons of each brand? (GMc/chevy,ford,dodge)

GM pros. most hp and torque for there class. reliable push rod design. umm its a chevy. prob one of the best frame designs on the market.
    cons. steering geometry, questionable quality control. cheap looking interior on most models.

Ford pros. great looking interior, out board shocks for smoother ride and better handling. stronger axles for the most part. option for straight axle still.
    cons. no balls in any of the gas motors not even the v10. interior noise and sound deadening is terrible. ****ty new powerstrokes

Dodge pros. well the new ram is pretty awesome as a whole. prob best bang for your buck IMO out of the big three.
    cons. its a dodge transmissions are notorious for being weak. well i guess ford, GM and dodge all need to work on there half ton trannys. worst fuel economy out of any full size trucks etc...
    Last edited by rebelbowtie; 07-12-2009 at 09:22 AM.

I believe the new Dodge Hemi Ram is top HP right now at like 390, plus it has the active fuel management and gets about 20 mpg (hiway).
    Like said above, their trannys are usually junk. Pretty nice trucks though.

My neighbors 07-08 F150 is really nice too, but...The 5.4 gets horrible mileage he says, and the sheet metal is really thin. The inside of the bed looks like someone went after it with a sledge hammer after just a year of typical use.

My 08 1500 V-Max...Overall very happy with it.
    Decent mileage for a 370 HP 6.0 (12.5/19) and lots of power. I personally love the "pure truck" interior with the LT2 package. Lots-a neat gadgets, and very plush.
    Great ride, handling, and the best brakes I've EVER felt.

Lots of road noise coming in through the rear of the cab area though, think I'm gonna pull out the carpet and put down some Dyna-Mat.

I almost bought a Ford a year ago when they did Employee Pricing to the public, but waited instead and got my Chevy for the same deal a few months later. Sure glad I did too.
    08 NNBS ECRB 6.0 Max Loaded, 02 ECSB 1500 Z71 5.3 Tuned.

Chevy Pros:

+ Pushrod design. Reliable, easy to work on.
    + Well designed cab area offers good visibility.
    + Good mileage.
    + Good aftermarket.
    + Better low-end torque than competition OHC V8's in the same class.
    + Strongest frames.
    + Long-lasting. You don't see many Ford/Dodge half-tons on their first engine up at 200k and higher.
    + Best looking. Most comfortable interiors (at least up until '07.)

Chevy Cons;

- Interiors can be cheesy.
    - Fit/finish can be spotty. The door pins have been going bad on Chevy's for the last 21 years, and counting.
    - IFS. 'nuff said.

Ford Pros;

+ Solid axles available on SD trucks.
    + Stronger axles in most trucks.
    + Huge aftermarket for the 4.6/5.4/6.0/6.4.
    + High HP engines (peak)
    + Good ride, due to coilover/outboard shock configuration.

Ford Cons;

- Difficult to work on due to lack of space.
    - Uncomfortable interiors.
    - Poor visibility due to the short windows, tall hood, short rear window and tall tailgate. (F-150s').
    - Haven't made a good gasser truck V8 since the 302/351.
    - POOR mileage.
    - ****tastic transmissions.
    - OHC 4.6/5.4 lacks torque. Really, really lacks torque.

'04 CTS-V | '01 2500HD 4x4 6.0/80e

Quote Originally Posted by randeez View Post
    he's got real problems, you think choosing which leather to rewrap in interior is easy?

Now that you mention it...My 08 Chevy is kinda one big blind spot insise the cab.
    I've gotten used to it I guess, but the A pillar is really wide and creates a big blind spot, and the seat seems to sit pretty high putting my line of sight just below the top of the windshield. I'm only 6'1" so not extremely tall. It would probably really suck for someone taller than that.
    As far as the A pillar, I guess I shouldn't bitch. Being all thick like that is added safety and cab strength.
    08 NNBS ECRB 6.0 Max Loaded, 02 ECSB 1500 Z71 5.3 Tuned.

GM trucks= grrreat engines (vortec/dirtymax)

cons= half ton tranny, damn thing has layed the hurting on my wallet

Love my Chevy. They all have problems....I've never had problems with the half ton tranny. I don't think ford has a better ride at all, but there interiors are quieter than mine.

Chevy trucks = strong frames?

What about the pics of the Chevy trucks broke in half when put on a lift or loaded with a heavy trailer?

:-)

'96 Suburban, 17x9 Helo's, 37" Toyo MT's, 14 bolt sf, 5.13 Yukon by Custom Differentials, Black Bear tune!

Quote Originally Posted by 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 View Post

What about the pics of the Chevy trucks broke in half when put on a lift or loaded with a heavy trailer?

and your point? can happen to any vehicle. GM truck frames are stronger than most.

Quote Originally Posted by rebelbowtie View Post
    and your point? can happen to any vehicle. GM truck frames are stronger than most.
    I guess the internet must hide the pics of Ford and Dodge trucks broke in the middle? Maybe the others break too... I just haven't seen any.

'96 Suburban, 17x9 Helo's, 37" Toyo MT's, 14 bolt sf, 5.13 Yukon by Custom Differentials, Black Bear tune!

if i wasnt too lazy to search for em there are plenty of pics of dodge trucks split down the middle. even there 1 ton trucks. and any one who has ever taken any 90s era ford truck off road knows there frame flexes worse than oobs chevy's

Crawl underneath a Chevy, then crawl underneath a Ford--or worse a Toyota. The difference is very noticable.

he's got real problems, you think choosing which leather to rewrap in interior is easy?

im pretty sure in that pic the truck had a cap on the bed and a bed full of tools and supplys and the lift wasnt spread as far as it should have been, on topic

i love pretty much everything about chevy trucks exept the obvious ifs wich even on stock trucks seems to have constantly failing parts that arent cheap

Rest In Peace #3 intimidator4x4's Avatar

Here's a Ford frame getting destroyed, with a Chevy hooked to the front of it. It happens at about the 1:15 min point of the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqCy7...eature=related
    V INTIMIDATOR has been SOLD V

98 RCLB Z71 all stock

Quote Originally Posted by intimidator4x4 View Post
    Here's a Ford frame getting destroyed, with a Chevy hooked to the front of it. It happens at about the 1:15 min point of the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqCy7...eature=related
    HaHa, that was funny watching it just bend like that. The way he has the tow truck thing mounted provides quite a bit of extra leverage on the frame, but it was still cool to see.

Cons it is: I'll start with the worst in my opinion and work my up.

Dodge: Awful fuel mileage, worst resale value, recently found to be grossly overpriced when new, don't even get me started on how lame and cheap the gauge cluster looks, transmissions have always been a sore spot for Dodge trucks.

Ford: Bad fuel mileage, half the engine sits under the firewall, bed is too deep so reaching in to grab tools is a no go, styling caters to the female of the house (they influence most car/truck sales so Ford marketing capitalized on this and styling shows), vague handling.

GMC: cons will be the same as Chevy with the exception that for a bit there with the NBS, the GMC front end on their 1500 series got downright fugly. The bumper and grill got oversized to try and steal Ford and Dodge buyers and for my eye it just wasn't a good look.

Chevy: The front hub design needs some rethinking, what's with the torque management?, a few electrical gremlins need sorting, Would it kill the engineers to at least attempt a 4 valve per cylinder design and use it to not only raise the fuel mileage bar again but also beef up the power numbers.
    00 RCSB Z71/JBA cat-back/Z71 Tahoe valance/EBC slotted&drilled rotors with SS lines & SS braided hoses/Edelbrock headers/BB tune/6000k HID low beam & fog lamps/Auto-headlight disable mod(nice)/Vette servo/LT1 E-fans/LED gauge cluster/Titan 18" wheels/Rollpan/Belltech rear sway bar/2-4 drop

Money Pit

HaHa, that was funny watching it just bend like that. The way he has the tow truck thing mounted provides quite a bit of extra leverage on the frame, but it was still cool to see.
    didnt help it had a 12000# winch and tow setup in a half ton, lol more of the operator/owner/builder, major if you ask me, fault than Fords but still very funny

heres a comparison on Chevy vs. Ford towing package trucks
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFhGRe9CLsE

Quote Originally Posted by mgrotel
    are you kidding me? id be shooting my load in one of those long tubes if it wouldnt burn my peter

tug o war videos prove nothing. 99.999999999999% are bogus do to either being staged or driver error

Quote Originally Posted by rebelbowtie View Post
    tug o war videos prove nothing. 99.999999999999% are bogus do to either being staged or driver error

First guy to spin a tire, loses.

like chevy interior is a little cheap but i'll take that over the martha stewart interior of the fords, dodges i haven't had much of a peek inside but the guages make my eyeballs melt..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast