If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

4x4 front axle actuator problems

This is a discussion on 4x4 front axle actuator problems within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; ok this has got me thrown off. i have a 1997 k1500 with the old style push button 4x4 not ...

4x4 front axle actuator problems

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    ok this has got me thrown off. i have a 1997 k1500 with the old style push button 4x4 not the auto trac.

just the other day i went to put my truck in 4x4, i push the button and i can here the t case shift but the light on my 4hi button is still blinking and no 4x4. so i get home and pull the front axle actuator. i figured it was toast so i manually screwed it all the way out and put it back in so i could have 4x4. i went to plug it back in when the truck was in 4hi and it works but goes all the way back to the disengaged position. wtf. so i take it out put it in the engaged position and put it back in. plug it in and it does the same thing.

so now i know the actuator is working but why in heck is it disengaging when its in 4x4 it should be doing the exact opposite. and just a few days before this i was out in trails and it was working fine.

so now i need to figure out what controls the front actuator where its at and why is it not working. i dont know where to go from here any help would be appriciated
    If you aint getting stuck or breaking something you aint really offroading
    NOS is like a hot chick with STD\'s, You know you wanna hit it, but are afraid of the consequences.

Re: 4x4 front axle actuator problems

nobody knows??
    NOS is like a hot chick with STD\'s, You know you wanna hit it, but are afraid of the consequences.

Is it the old style thermal actuator or the updated electronic unit? My 97 K2500 Sierra had the thermal unit and I HATED that thing... never wanted to work when you really needed it to. On that truck the actuator was controlled by the transfer case switch. I know I had some problems with the t-case switch acting up and not sending current to the actuator. We finally wound up bypassing it with a toggle switch in the cab so you had to manually switch on the front axle but at least it worked... try checking the transfer case switch?

loose nut behind da wheel JeremyB's Avatar

You could check for power at the connector. The updated electronic unit has three wires and with the key on and 4x4 selected you should have power at the blue and brown wires, with the thermal actuator you should have power at the blue wire. Thermal actuators were mostly all metal and the electronic actuators are plastic. If the light blue wire doesn't have power, check the 4x4 fuse, if the fuse is good you likely have a transfer case switch problem

mine is a 97 and yes it is an updated one. mine has 5 wires going to it. and the only wires coming off the t case are for the speed sensor and the actuator.

Could also possibly be the switch on the axle. There is a little switch on the axle above the actuator that was bad when I switched axles on my old 95. It would engage in 4wd then for a few sec and then kick out. That also had the floor shifter and thermal actuator but it would be worth checking into.
    2004 Silverado NBS ECSB 5.3 Z71

ok well myr then the case hase two other connectors on it other then the speed sensor and the actuator. which one is the 4x4 sensor.

loose nut behind da wheel JeremyB's Avatar

The transfer case switch is above the front output shaft of the transfer case. There should be 2 wires going from the switch to the front axle actuator, one brown wire and one blue wire, the brown wire is probably spliced into another brown going to the switch connector