GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Front Impact Sensor!!

This is a discussion on Front Impact Sensor!! within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Hey guys, I just took my truck into the dealership today to have them look at a few needed things. ...

Front Impact Sensor!!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Hey guys, I just took my truck into the dealership today to have them look at a few needed things. I have a CV Shaft boot leak which my extended warranty will cover but my "Service Air Bag" light has been on for 4 days now. They looked at it and found that the Front Impact Sensor is bad. They want $90 for labor and $90 for the sensor. I found a new sensor on GM Parts Direct for $67 and some change. Is this something I can just do myself? I don't see the need to pay an extra $120 all in all to replace this if I can do it myself. Any experience with replacing these????
    2003 Chevy 1500 Ext. Cab 5.3 4x4

hucking fates this server FordeatinZ71's Avatar

Re: Front Impact Sensor!!

well, you'll need to figure out how to deactivate the airbag (the passenger has a cutoff switch...but the driver's is different), then just remove/unhook the sensor and re-activate the bag. you can't just replace the sensor, those are sensitive and it could trigger the airbag.

2004 GMC Sierra SLE Z71 rcsb, 5.3/4L60E/3.73/G80 time bomb...3" lift, tinted 03+ Silverado tails, plasti-dipped 16" wheels (unknown brand), 285/75/16 Thunderer M/T Extremes, Thrush Welded muffler...

Better safe than sorry.

You have to ask yourself one question...do you feel lucky?

You can replace the sensor yourself, it's not that big of a deal. Just use common sense. Unhook the battery while you are working on it, don't have a fork between the airbag and your face while plugging stuff in, etc..

9/10 times it is actually the wiring messed up somewhere on that circuit not the sensor. Always check the circuit before you start replacing parts (which dealerships never do!). In the underhood fuse box area is a plug where you can isolate the front sensor harness, unplug the sensors and check the wires for continuity.
    Once you replace the parts the airbag system light will go away without having to clear anything.

even if you unhook the battery the airbags still have enough juice to launch...you have to have the battery unhooked for quite a few days to fully decharge the system..
    2004 1500 5.3 standard cab long box Z85

Stupidity is the number one sin

Thanks 99-2door. (That Tahoe looks great by the way; never saw one with a Silvy clip before). So I just unplug the battery and remove the fuses from the underhood fuse box? Any other suggestions? If a dealership can do it why can't I you know? There has to be a way to do it without paying a dealership.....
    2003 Chevy 1500 Ext. Cab 5.3 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by 99-2door View Post
    You can replace the sensor yourself, it's not that big of a deal. Just use common sense. Unhook the battery while you are working on it, don't have a fork between the airbag and your face while plugging stuff in, etc..

why not? you just sucked all the fun out of the job...

2004 GMC Sierra SLE Z71 rcsb, 5.3/4L60E/3.73/G80 time bomb...3" lift, tinted 03+ Silverado tails, plasti-dipped 16" wheels (unknown brand), 285/75/16 Thunderer M/T Extremes, Thrush Welded muffler...

Quote Originally Posted by jro909 View Post
    even if you unhook the battery the airbags still have enough juice to launch...you have to have the battery unhooked for quite a few days to fully decharge the system..
    Actually 30 minutes is sufficient to discharge the system.
    04 K1500 Silverado EXT 3:73 gears, 5.3L 265/75-16,Pace Edwards tonneau,

A good service manual is your friend. In the manul (at least for my OBS) they have the procedure for safetying the airbag system before you work on anything that is anywhere near the airbag system.
    Last edited by sunburnedaz; 08-04-2009 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bowtieZ71 View Post
    Thanks 99-2door. (That Tahoe looks great by the way; never saw one with a Silvy clip before). So I just unplug the battery and remove the fuses from the underhood fuse box? Any other suggestions? If a dealership can do it why can't I you know? There has to be a way to do it without paying a dealership.....
    Quote Originally Posted by redvett01 View Post
    Actually 30 minutes is sufficient to discharge the system.
    Quote Originally Posted by sunburnedaz View Post
    A good service manual is your friend. In the manul (at least for my OBS) they have the procedure for safetying the airbag system before you work on anything that is anywhere near the airbag system.

Seriously, listen to these guys, they're right.

You have to disconnect the battery and let the capacitors discharge or you risk an activation if you start messing with it.

Most are around the 30 min mark, but as mentioned, the correct service manual for your truck will tell you.

I always buy a service manual for each of my vehicles, saves you money in the long run....
    Detroit 6.5L Turbo Diesel
    400,000 kms and still rattling.....

Quote Originally Posted by gr8twhite View Post
    Seriously, listen to these guys, they're right.

You have to disconnect the battery and let the capacitors discharge or you risk an activation if you start messing with it.

Most are around the 30 min mark, but as mentioned, the correct service manual for your truck will tell you.

I always buy a service manual for each of my vehicles, saves you money in the long run....
    seems this dude said about the same thing. thanks for leaving me out bud...

Quote Originally Posted by FordeatinZ71
    well, you'll need to figure out how to deactivate the airbag (the passenger has a cutoff switch...but the driver's is different), then just remove/unhook the sensor and re-activate the bag. you can't just replace the sensor, those are sensitive and it could trigger the airbag.

Going by SI you have to disconnect battery and removed all fuses for the SIR system. Then wait 1 minute. Disconnect connector and removed screw for sensor.