If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Trans filter falls off?

This is a discussion on Trans filter falls off? within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; The transmission filter in my wife's truck will not stay in place! The filter keeps falling into the pan and ...

Angry Trans filter falls off?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    The transmission filter in my wife's truck will not stay in place! The filter keeps falling into the pan and then the truck won't go anywhere.

I did a transmission fluid and filter change recently. I followed the instructions to remove the filter and filter gasket. I got the new gasket in and put the filter in, but it didn't seem very solid. I buttoned everything back up and filled the transmission with about as much fluid as came out. The transmission wouldn't grab, so I put more in. I thought the dipstick was lying to me because it seemed overfilled. I thought maybe I was catching the residual fluid from filling through the tube. It did finally get to a point where the transmission seemed to work, so I went with it. About a week later it was acting strange and getting crappy fuel economy. I thought about it for a while and realized the filter must have fallen off! It would only go if there was enough fluid in there to reach the hole where the filter was supposed to be. Sure enough, I dropped the pan and the filter came with it.

My next attempt seemed more promising. I really forced the filter into its seal this time. It seemed much more solid. It took less fluid this time and the dipstick didn't seem to be lying to me. Success right? Well, not so much. It has been about two weeks, but this morning it is acting like the filter fell out again! WTF??

So, what am I missing? All the instructions I can find just say to, "push the filter into place". There is no bolt or clip or anything else holding the filter in (though I am REALLY tempted to make something). Is there some trick to it? Is there something missing?

Her truck is a 2000 GMC Sonoma, but has the same 4L60e as my truck.
    2001 Silverado ECSB, 3" spindles, 2" blocks, 265/70R17's on '06 Tahoe wheels.

Supporting Gold Member GreaseDog's Avatar

Re: Trans filter falls off?

did you replace the seal on the filter? if you dont get the original seal out of the trans, the new one wont fully seat, and will fall out.
    77 Chevy K20 - 80 GMC K2500 (in pieces)
    90 Chevy K3500 - 93 Chevy C2500 (in pieces) - 94 Chevy K1500

wtd

Your new tranny filter and gasket should have come with a new round seal that goes up into where the filter pushes in. Did you replace this round seal? If not, you need to replace it. That should solve your problem.

Wayne
    98 ext-cab Z-71 5.7L/4L60E/10 bolt/3.73 locking diff
    Borla duel rear exit exhaust, HD bilstein shocks LT265/75R16 Michelin LTX A/T tires

98 reg cab long bed K3500 4x4 7.4L/4L80E/14 bolt FF/4.10 locking diff. Flowmaster Cat-back, LT245/75/16 Michelin LTX M/S tires.

Yeah, I did replace that. Filter gasket = filter seal. I forgot what terminology they used for that part. I have a new theory though. I'm pretty sure I have the filter for a shallow pan, but the truck has a deep pan.

wtd

I don't know if the neck of the filters are different size between the deep and shallow filter. You would have to take it to the parts store to compare.

Wayne
    98 ext-cab Z-71 5.7L/4L60E/10 bolt/3.73 locking diff
    Borla duel rear exit exhaust, HD bilstein shocks LT265/75R16 Michelin LTX A/T tires

98 reg cab long bed K3500 4x4 7.4L/4L80E/14 bolt FF/4.10 locking diff. Flowmaster Cat-back, LT245/75/16 Michelin LTX M/S tires.

Quote Originally Posted by GreaseDog View Post
    did you replace the seal on the filter? if you dont get the original seal out of the trans, the new one wont fully seat, and will fall out.
    That has nothing to do with it. Looks like the OP figured out the real problem... a shallow pan filter installed in a deep pan application. Had he used the right filter it wouldn't have anywhere to fall down into as the tolerances would be to tight to allow the filter to slip out of that seal regardless of how snug of a seal is being created up at the neck of the filter.
    00 RCSB Z71/JBA cat-back/Z71 Tahoe valance/EBC slotted&drilled rotors with SS lines & SS braided hoses/Edelbrock headers/BB tune/6000k HID low beam & fog lamps/Auto-headlight disable mod(nice)/Vette servo/LT1 E-fans/LED gauge cluster/Titan 18" wheels/Rollpan/Belltech rear sway bar/2-4 drop

Not Really Bob

Quote Originally Posted by tweaks View Post
    that has nothing to do with it. Looks like the op figured out the real problem... A shallow pan filter installed in a deep pan application. Had he used the right filter it wouldn't have anywhere to fall down into as the tolerances would be to tight to allow the filter to slip out of that seal regardless of how snug of a seal is being created up at the neck of the filter.
    99 Silverado ECSB 4X4, LQ4, Patriot Stg. 2 243's w/ 59cc chambers, TR224-112, Pacesetter LT's, Nelson tune, FLT Lvl 5.5, PI 3400, UD pulley, 160* t-stat, E-fans, 6'' Fabtech lift, 3'' body lift, 37'' XTerrains, 4.56's, 4'' shackle flip 13.3 @ 99mph on 37's or 13.0 @ 101mph on 31's

Not Really Bob

I'm pretty sure that deep pan filters are all plastic, whereas the shallow pan filters have a plastic top with a metal bottom.
    99 Silverado ECSB 4X4, LQ4, Patriot Stg. 2 243's w/ 59cc chambers, TR224-112, Pacesetter LT's, Nelson tune, FLT Lvl 5.5, PI 3400, UD pulley, 160* t-stat, E-fans, 6'' Fabtech lift, 3'' body lift, 37'' XTerrains, 4.56's, 4'' shackle flip 13.3 @ 99mph on 37's or 13.0 @ 101mph on 31's

Also, something the parts store people and I weren't aware of is that the trucks (at least the ones we have) come with deep transmission pans. The difference in depth between the pans is more subtle than I would have thought 2-1/4" for the shallow pan and 2-7/8" for the deep pan. The deep pan has a step in it too, where the shallow pan is flat.

I got the right filter last night. It is all plastic. The shallow pan filter is metal and plastic. The parts store guy almost rushed off to get the shallow pan filter again on his assumption. Hopefully this little problem will help someone else down the road. I thought there was something seriously wrong with the transmission when it was only the wrong filter.

I have a strong suspicion that a lot of transmissions that we hear about going out at relatively low miles, like 60k or so, are really just transmissions that have had the wrong filter installed either by the owner or a quick lube place.
    Last edited by Yardstick; 09-07-2009 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yardstick View Post
    Also, something the parts store people and I weren't aware of is that the trucks (at least the ones we have) come with deep transmission pans. The difference in depth between the pans is more subtle than I would have thought 2-1/4" for the shallow pan and 2-7/8" for the deep pan. The deep pan has a step in it too, where the shallow pan is flat.

I got the right filter last night. It is all plastic. The shallow pan filter is metal and plastic. The parts store guy almost rushed off to get the shallow pan filter again on his assumption. Hopefully this little problem will help someone else down the road. I thought there was something seriously wrong with the transmission when it was only the wrong filter.
    It's an honest mistake and one that I too have made. I remember taking the shallow pan filter that I ordered out of the box and thinking something didn't look right before I turned any bolts. My next step was using this site to verify that I had the right part before forging ahead with the job and that's when I came across info in here that indicated that I had a deep pan and had ordered a shallow pan.
    00 RCSB Z71/JBA cat-back/Z71 Tahoe valance/EBC slotted&drilled rotors with SS lines & SS braided hoses/Edelbrock headers/BB tune/6000k HID low beam & fog lamps/Auto-headlight disable mod(nice)/Vette servo/LT1 E-fans/LED gauge cluster/Titan 18" wheels/Rollpan/Belltech rear sway bar/2-4 drop