GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

How to hook up a remote starter switch to check compression?

This is a discussion on How to hook up a remote starter switch to check compression? within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I'm trying to check the compression by myself and I can't figure out how to hook up the remote starter ...

How to hook up a remote starter switch to check compression?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I'm trying to check the compression by myself and I can't figure out how to hook up the remote starter switch. I have a 91 c1500 350 V8. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: How to hook up a remote starter switch to check compression?

Most auto parts stores carry remote start switches for this purpose. Fairly cheap. Otherwise you just need a cheap little push button switch (one you have to hold down to activate) and two pieces of wire. Run one to the hot side of the battery and the other to the solenoid on the starter.

When I checked compression on my truck I simply leaned over the fender, screwed the fitting into the spark plug hole and then leaned in the window and turned the engine over a couple times.

- 1993 C1500 - 5.3L/4L60E Swap - 3/5 Hotchkis - '96 Interior - Tuned by EPS -
    - 2013 Camaro 1SS/1LE - Borla - 1" Eibach Drop - Roto Fab Intake - Katzkins Interior -

i just used a compression tester that holds the number. it will hold the high reading till pressure is released, never used a remote started switch.
    new tow Rig rattles and smokes
    '89 K5 trail rig

Supporting Gold Member GreaseDog's Avatar

a pressure rated check valve, and a push button bleeder valve (schraeder valve would work) and a gauge are all you really need to build a compression tester, along with the hose and the spark plug adapter of course.
    77 Chevy K20 - 80 GMC K2500 (in pieces)
    90 Chevy K3500 - 93 Chevy C2500 (in pieces) - 94 Chevy K1500

Tape your guage to the windshield.

Katzkin leather interior, 2" CCM Off road leveling kit, Ranch Hand grill guard, and Ranch Hand rear bumper.

I've got a compression tester that has rubber on the end, so I have to hold it up to the cylinder to get the compression reading. I've also got a remote starter switch. I just need to know how to hook up the starter switch. Do I have to crawl under the truck to get to the solenoid?

yupp, solenoid is mounted to the starter.
    new tow Rig rattles and smokes
    '89 K5 trail rig

Starting in 96 you can just jump across terminals 87 and 30 at the starter relay in the underhood fuse block and crank it over. My 95 doesn't have a relay. If it does I've never seen it, its not on the firewall or fuse block, IIRC it comes straight off the ignition switch which is completely stupid. It seems like the 87-94s did have a starter relay on the firewall though. If so you can jump across 87 and 30 on it but like said, just get the right gauge setup and crank it over with the key. A compression tester set is only like 10-15 bucks from Harbor Freight. Its even got the adapter for changing valve seals using compressed air in the cylinder.
    1995 Silverado - ported vortec heads, 4L80E, efans, LT4 Hot Cam, Rear disc brake conversion w/drilled and slotted rotors
    1999 NBS Silverdo - transgo HD2 shift kit, 3 inch dynomax ultra flow, Ford keys and 305/70-16 Mickey ATZs

To answer Your question one gator clip goes on small terminal block side of starter solenoid the other on battery (large) terminal of solenoid. Push de button.
    89 K3500 RCLB- Fat Snarling RAT..Scat/Eagle/Crower/Crane/Edelbrock/MSD..TBI/EBL/TH400/Dana 60