GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

How to install dual alternators - NO fabrication required!!!

This is a discussion on How to install dual alternators - NO fabrication required!!! within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; This is how my truck is wired for the dual alternators, including wire gauge sizes. It should be extremely easy ...

Re: How to install dual alternators - NO fabrication required!!!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    This is how my truck is wired for the dual alternators, including wire gauge sizes. It should be extremely easy to read, RED wires are positive, BLACK wires are negative/ground. This is not the only way to do it, but it should be a good start if wiring is not your strong point. Keep in mind that the wire gauges sizes I have shown on here are only what I am using, for most applications stock wire sizes are fine.

1988 Chevy Silverado 5.9L Cummins : 1968 Ford Mustang Pro-Touring

Supporting Member 1997chevydriver's Avatar

im assuming on off switch is just incase of a dead batt???
    <------Thanks to Mean Green
    1994 K1500 ECSB Z71 5.7L 350
    1997 K1500 ECSB Z71 5.7L 350 Vortec

Quote Originally Posted by 1994chevydriver View Post
    im assuming on off switch is just incase of a dead batt???
    Yes. If the main battery or alternator ever failed, I can turn the switch on and run off the secondary battery and alternator.

So i think i did something wrong i think i took off the wrong screw im leaking antifreeze...what bolt did i take off wrong? its towards the bottom of where the old bracket from the ac compressor used to be ....any idea?

meh

It sounds like you took a water pump bolt out. I cant think off hand what bolts hold the bracket but if you just put it back it should be fine. Just check for leaks later.

that is super sweet. definitely helpful

Registered User The Confederate's Avatar

Not sure of your attitude of mixing make parts, but you could use an older Ford starter solenoid (fender mount type) in place of your on/off switch. Just spice into the ignition switch wire from the Chevy solenoid and run a wire to the "S" terminal of the Ford solenoid. Wah-la! You can now use both batteries to crank the starter, while isolating the circuits otherwise! Use identical batteries of course with this set up, and using 2 batteries, there are more AMPs available, so a dead battery shouldn't happen unless you left something on.....
    Last edited by The Confederate; 05-28-2012 at 10:10 PM.

Bump for good info. Am I correct in assuming this will work on my '94 TBI 350 w AC? I'm more than willing to eliminate it since I'm planning for onboard air as well.

Quote Originally Posted by HawgEnvy View Post
    Bump for good info. Am I correct in assuming this will work on my '94 TBI 350 w AC? I'm more than willing to eliminate it since I'm planning for onboard air as well.
    Sorry for the late reply. Yes, this will work on your '94 as long as you are fine with ditching your A/C pump.

To clarify, this mod will work on all 86-95 TBI engines, or any regular SBC with TBI accessory brackets installed. I may be working on a 96+ Vortec setup soon, so keep your eyes peeled.

AQUATIC GOAT FARMER

So I hate to resurrect old posts but I did some work on this project to have two alternators AND cold AC. I'm going to run mine in parallel.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/10170483...ts/DZHED9K8QJK

Let me know what you guys think.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_R_23 View Post
    Sorry for the late reply. Yes, this will work on your '94 as long as you are fine with ditching your A/C pump.

To clarify, this mod will work on all 86-95 TBI engines, or any regular SBC with TBI accessory brackets installed. I may be working on a 96+ Vortec setup soon, so keep your eyes peeled.
    I am definately hoping for 96+ dual alt design.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoove View Post
    I am definately hoping for 96+ dual alt design.
    Spoiler; the 96+ Vortec dual setup is actually pretty easy, but still requires deleting the A/C. I started mocking up the setup, but I had to get rid of my mock up engine, so I don't have all the specifics like belt part numbers or lengths, etc. Basically, you use your entire Vortec setup minus the aluminum bracket for the A/C pump. Delete your A/C pump, install a power steering-alternator bracket from the 88-95 TBI trucks, and bolt on another alternator. Hopefully I can get back on this project sometime and have all the specifics posted here for you guys, but that should get you 96+ guys started in the meantime. Due to some supposed changes in the power steering pumps in some years, changing to a pre-96 pump may be required, but highly unlikely, I haven't been able to research this yet.

Thumbs up Re: How to install dual alternators - NO fabrication required!!!

first off I wanna say this was very helpful. I am putting a second alt on my 6.2 diesel cause of amber light bar, work lights, strobes ect. mounting was easy ordered a driver side bracket from ebay came off a military truck. But when it came to the wiring I got confused cause I want them to be separate but if need be to have them run together. so my main question is in the diagram you show a on off switch between the 2 batts. what kind of switch did you use to handle the power? again this was very helpful

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12