GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Noise in Frontend, 99 Silverado Z71

This is a discussion on Noise in Frontend, 99 Silverado Z71 within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I have a pop or clunk noise in the frontend of my NBS 99 Silverado 1500 4x4 when turning. It ...

Noise in Frontend, 99 Silverado Z71

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I have a pop or clunk noise in the frontend of my NBS 99 Silverado 1500 4x4 when turning. It seems to be popping to one side when I turn right, then back to the left the next time I turn left. I have jaccked it up and checked for play in the wheels (tie rods, bearings, balljoints) and the swaybar. I can't find anything wrong in the suspension. Anyone seen this? Anything else to check?

I think it may have done it when I started it a couple times too, which got me to thinking it could be the motor mounts. I drive it fairly hard though, and I've felt bad motor mounts before. How are you guys checking motor mounts? There's so much crap in the way, and the pry spots I can reach are mostly aluminum castings.

Truck has about 175k on it right now. The balljoints are the originals, so I'm thinking they're pretty close to done at this point anyway, but I can't feel any play in them.
    08 Tahoe LTZ 4x4 black on black

99 NBS Silverado Z71, 5.3L/4L60E, Transgo shift kit / vette servo

Re: Noise in Frontend, 99 Silverado Z71

Sounds like it could be a CV joint.

Quote Originally Posted by doghouse View Post
    Sounds like it could be a CV joint.

Sure it's not just the infamous steering shaft clunk?

2006 Tahoe Z71

My guess would be either of those suggested, CV joints or ISS (Intermediate Steering Shaft).

Is it a clicking/popping sound, and is it fairly constant? Once you get CV Joints in an angle that makes them click, they usually keep clicking.

FWIW, my truck lurches forward slightly when I start it. If you've heard it on start up, and if it's a CV joint, I can imagine it clunking when the truck rolls. Did you spin the wheels when it was jacked up? Perhaps with the steering turned to full lock?

The ISS clunks that I have experienced are fairly inconsistent. It pops as you turn, but tends to stop if you hold the steering still. i.e. As you turn into a turn, it pops, but as you hold the wheel through the turn, it often stops. I want to say it is a much deeper sounding/feeling that the CV-joint clicking that I have experienced.
    '01 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 ECSB

By CV's, you're talking about the half shafts in the frontend at the hubs, right? If so, they are smooth and tight.

I know the feel of the ISS clunk, and this is different. It is more obvious or pronounced. Also it happens after you actually turn the wheel, and as the suspension starts to load. I also thought it could the the K member or a body mount for a while, but have checked all those too.

It only clunks once per "turn direction", as if something is sliding over to one side and then back the next time I turn the other direction. Also it usually won't do it if I turn slowly. IOW it does it when the suspension/steering is under higer load. Like I said I am kind of hard on it, and usually load the suspension pretty good in turns.
    Last edited by tracetrimble; 09-21-2009 at 08:13 PM.

Ok i had this on a different truck years ago,drove me nuts i checked everything i could think of.it turned out to be the battery hold down was loose and the battery was sliding from side to side in turns.I know it sounds stupid but that was the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by doghouse View Post
    Ok i had this on a different truck years ago,drove me nuts i checked everything i could think of.it turned out to be the battery hold down was loose and the battery was sliding from side to side in turns.I know it sounds stupid but that was the problem.
    I can totally see that, lol, I had a s10 blazer making a horrible noise, ended up being play in the hood hinge, lol
    ASE Master Certified Technician

2000 Silverado 6.0 4L80E 2wd
    *RIP*1994 Z71 SCLB 355, Dart Heads, 10.5:1 CR, PM rods, CC XR270HR

from the sound you are describing it is your sway bar. check and make sure the mounts on the frame are tight.

The swaybar was my first suspect, and I've checked it like 3 times now.

I will check the battery.

Thanks for the replies.

Have you checked the drag-link + idler and pitman arms? The drag link could be rotating or hanging up, but I'm not sure it would slap/clunk though.

I've also never been sure if you have to check the front end with the suspension loaded. If you do, then checking it with the suspension drooped doesn't always indicate anything. Anybody know?

Something else just occurred to me. I had trouble with my front brakes and one of the pads was shifting when I turned and made a slapping/smacking sound. On rare occasions, it shifted bad enough that the caliper seemed to get hung up. I actually never found any evidence of a problem, but, sure enough, it went away when I swapped calipers, rotors and pads. It all felt slightly off those, so, if you don't have brake symptoms, this may be a long shot.
    '01 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 ECSB

I can't find any excessive play in the steering - drag link, idler, pitman, or tie rod ends. I've checked most things with the wheels hanging at full extension, and with a jack under the lower A-arm holding it up close to ride height.

You didnt mention checking the ISS for the noise. This really is a big issue with these trucks, just want to make sure youre not overlooking it.

2006 Tahoe Z71

It's not the ISS. I have fixed that twice, and still have it now but just ignore it.

I second the battery. It was making a Godaweful noise recently in my truck too.

However, I would think that it is a CV joint or Swaybar. Only two things that clunk under load, sans a BJ but a BJ is going to be damn near ready to fall out if it makes that much noise.

'04 CTS-V | '01 2500HD 4x4 6.0/80e| '02 Tahoe LT

Quote Originally Posted by randeez View Post
    he's got real problems, you think choosing which leather to rewrap in interior is easy?

Checked the batt and it's solid.

Quote Originally Posted by tracetrimble View Post
    Checked the batt and it's solid.
    Can you reproduce the noise with the vehicle off the ground?

he's got real problems, you think choosing which leather to rewrap in interior is easy?

Nope, that's essentially my whole problem. If I could, I'd know what it was.

Can anyone post the proper way to check balljoints? I've checked and replaced them before, but never on an IFS 4x4 truck. After putting the frame on jackstands, do you need to put a jack under the lower A-arm and load the suspension, or can you just push/pull on the top & bottom of the wheel while it's off the ground with the suspension hanging at full extension? FWIW, I've tried both methods and found no play.
    Last edited by tracetrimble; 09-28-2009 at 12:23 PM.

if your balljoints were in that bad of shape they would have pulled appart by now. i dont believe its your ball joints my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by tracetrimble View Post
    Nope, that's essentially my whole problem. If I could, I'd know what it was.

Can anyone post the proper way to check balljoints? I've checked and replaced them before, but never on an IFS 4x4 truck. After putting the frame on jackstands, do you need to put a jack under the lower A-arm and load the suspension, or can you just push/pull on the top & bottom of the wheel while it's off the ground with the suspension hanging at full extension? FWIW, I've tried both methods and found no play.
    I always jacked under the LCA to test BJ's. Grab at 12-6, and push. A hub feels similar to a BJ, so if you feel movement use one hand and hold the UBJ. If it's a hub you won't feel the UBJ pop. Same process for LBJ.

you find out the problem. i just found out my ball joints on my silvy are bad. i took a screw driver with the wheels off and stuck between the knuckle and a-arm and lifted up and wow there was an assload of play so new balljoints are in order for me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast