GM Inside - Muscle Cars - Jeep

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

chevy k1500 runs rough cold and/or after rain,HELP!!

This is a discussion on chevy k1500 runs rough cold and/or after rain,HELP!! within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; i have a 98 k1500 with a 5.7l in it.recently it started running really rough starting it up cold or ...

Question chevy k1500 runs rough cold and/or after rain,HELP!!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    i have a 98 k1500 with a 5.7l in it.recently it started running really rough starting it up cold or after it rained.it clears up after the motor warms up.i know the distributor cap isnt the problem.i changed the fuel filter recently.whenever it does it you can smell gas really bad like its flooding it until it warms up.it misses really bad when its cold too.like i said though it just happened outta the blue.just looking for some ideas what to check or what to look for considering i dont have the money to take it anywhere.any help or ideas are appreciated.

Re: chevy k1500 runs rough cold and/or after rain,HELP!!

id say spark plug wires or even the plugs

could be your intake manifold pre warmer. it's not warming up the intake air so the fuel is not atomizing properly therefore not combusting properly. it could also be your charcoal canister is full of carbon. i would check this by disconnecting the hoses going to the canister and bypassing it to see if the conidition persists. if you haven't replaced your pcv valve in the last year i would do that too.

How do you know the distributor cap isn't the problem?
    08 HHR LS - 2.2 | 5 speed | 30 MPG

98 K1500 Z71 - 204k | L31 | 60E | 3.73's | 3" BL | 33x12.5x15 Dick Cepek F-C II's | Dynomax Ultra Flo X DI/DO | 14 MPG

84 S15 Jimmy 2dr 4x4 - engine/tranny all rebuilt

Quote Originally Posted by 98GreenMachine View Post
    How do you know the distributor cap isn't the problem?
    because i switched it with another one to check and there wasn't any corrision in the one thats in it.both ran the same.and the one i switched it with was about 3 to 4 months old and worked on what i got it off of.

i think i fixed it.i'll have to run it more and find out but i'm pretty sure the maf got dirty from over-oiling the k&n filter on it.and the wires were bad too.i looked at night and i could see them arcing.and considering the were the original ones i knew they needed changed.seemed to run good today after cleaning the maf sensor and putting new wires on.but last time i messed with it,it ran good and the next day ran like crap.so we'll see.

after cleaning the maf sensor and putting new plug wires and a pcv valve on it,it rained last night and once again runs rough atleast until it warms up.it misses at all rpm's when it does this.so now i'm stuck again.could the coil be getting wet and be bad?i noticed it seems to vibrate alot.i don't really notice the gas smell anymore just really running rough.