GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

"Traction Active" on dry pavement???!!???

This is a discussion on "Traction Active" on dry pavement???!!??? within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Hi,.. have a 2005 Tahoe with AWD, stabilitrac, traction control,drive-by-wire, etc.. Anywho, every once in a while I go to ...

"Traction Active" on dry pavement???!!???

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Hi,.. have a 2005 Tahoe with AWD, stabilitrac, traction control,drive-by-wire, etc.. Anywho, every once in a while I go to take off from a dead stop in a nice, gentle manner, on dry pavement and the "traction active" message comes on and lose power(acceleration) for about a second or two, then it takes off like normal. It don't throw any codes or anything. I was curious if tires might cause this. Thanks for any help,suggestions, etc.

Re: "Traction Active" on dry pavement???!!???

It's possible. I would say it depends on what you condsider taking off in a nice gentle manner. But you really shouldn't be spinning the tires anyway, if you are taking off that easy.

The tires I have on my 96 are easy to spin, but they are a highmileage, hard rubber tire too.

My suggestion, "depending on what you consider an easy take off" try being a bit easier and see if it still does it.

03 Silverado ECSB, Dmax, Allison, 3.73 G80
    96 Silverado ECSB, 350, 4L60E, 3.73's Powertrax Locker
    05 Cavalier
    74 Corvette Stingray, 350, 4 speed
    49 F-1, flathead 6, 4 speed, 2wd, unknown rear end. Old rust bucket.

Torque is a wonderful thing, isn't it?

'04 CTS-V | '01 2500HD 4x4 6.0/80e| '02 Tahoe LT

Quote Originally Posted by randeez View Post
    he's got real problems, you think choosing which leather to rewrap in interior is easy?

No tire spin going on, I take off granny style on dry pavement. I take off from a stop just give it a little gas and as soon as I start moving the traction control kicks in (solenoids rattling, throttle slams shut, etc.) for about a second or two then it will run normal. It doesn't do it all the time, just when it gets the mood. If I shut off the traction control, it works fine.
    I haven't rotated the tires for about 10k miles and it seems to be doing it more often. Just wondering if anybody else has had this prob. It gets a little scarry on a busy intersection when you start to go, then this acts up. T-BONE??

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by zippy1968 View Post
    No tire spin going on, I take off granny style on dry pavement. I take off from a stop just give it a little gas and as soon as I start moving the traction control kicks in (solenoids rattling, throttle slams shut, etc.) for about a second or two then it will run normal. It doesn't do it all the time, just when it gets the mood. If I shut off the traction control, it works fine.
    I haven't rotated the tires for about 10k miles and it seems to be doing it more often. Just wondering if anybody else has had this prob. It gets a little scarry on a busy intersection when you start to go, then this acts up. T-BONE??

Thanks again.
    Are you rotating your tires at the recommended 3-5k interval, and are all the tires purchased at the same time? Also, have you checked it for codes?

'04 CTS-V | '01 2500HD 4x4 6.0/80e| '02 Tahoe LT

Quote Originally Posted by randeez View Post
    he's got real problems, you think choosing which leather to rewrap in interior is easy?

I would leave the traction control off anyways, especially if that fixes your problems.

I have an 04 burb that is doing the same thing. Low speed acceleration from a stop is when the problem happens. It sometimes occurs when you begin to turn left at low speed from a stop (power sag at this point is scary in traffic).

This happened more frequently after I replaced the OEM Firestone Wilderness LE tires with stock size Goodyear Fortera TripleTreds.

I did a search on the internet and the most usuable info I found was that the wheel bearing/speed sensor assembly is the culprit. Either the bearings are worn and need to be replaced or there is corrosion built up that causes the speed sensor to read slippage in the wheel.

I have a good mechanic that I discussed this with. He said that the old worn tires may have been slipping that masked the problem before but since the new tires have better traction and less give, then the system may have less tolerance and trip the sensors more frequently. If the problem is corrosion caked up in the teeth where the speed sensor gets its reading then a good cleaning is required. If the bearings are worn or the teeth are chipped then replacing the assembly will be about $400 - $500.

P Yee
    2004 Surburban K1500 Z-5.3L AWD LT 50K Mi.
    Last edited by pjyee; 10-24-2009 at 11:49 PM.

anybody here done this job themselves? My 03 tahoe is doing the same thing along with a nice rattle sound at higher speeds. I'd like to remedy this myself if possible.