***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Truck Leaking Gas!

This is a discussion on Truck Leaking Gas! within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I walked out to my truck to go to lunch today and there is a puddle under my truck. Its ...

Truck Leaking Gas!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I walked out to my truck to go to lunch today and there is a puddle under my truck. Its dripping off the gas tank, coming out of one of the vents in the plastic cover on the tank.

Its a decent drip and I cannot see anything.

I need a quick rundown on how the gas tank is bolted up, what could be leaking and possible fixes.

Thanks,
    Ryan

'94 GMC Sierra. 5.7 TBI. btw
    Last edited by Z71Sierra; 11-18-2009 at 11:18 AM.
    Hello, my name is Ryan

"If gun owners are as violent as anti-gunners said we are, there wouldn't be any anti's left."

Re: Truck Leaking Gas!

Quote Originally Posted by Z71Sierra View Post
    I walked out to my truck to go to lunch today and there is a puddle under my truck. Its dripping off the gas tank, coming out of one of the vents in the plastic cover on the tank.

Its a decent drip and I cannot see anything.

I need a quick rundown on how the gas tank is bolted up, what could be leaking and possible fixes.

Thanks,
    Ryan

'94 GMC Sierra. 5.7 TBI. btw
    Much easier to remove the box that lowering the tank and when you have the box off you can just look at the top of tank and see what your problem is. Remove the box bolts,tail light wires and disconnect the filler tube and ground get the help of 3-4 friends and its off.
    04 K1500 Silverado EXT 3:73 gears, 5.3L 265/75-16,Pace Edwards tonneau,

Quote Originally Posted by redvett01 View Post
    Much easier to remove the box that lowering the tank and when you have the box off you can just look at the top of tank and see what your problem is. Remove the box bolts,tail light wires and disconnect the filler tube and ground get the help of 3-4 friends and its off.
    If its dripping constantly, the leak wouldn't be from the top of the tank, so why would taking off the bed be better?

Most likely there is a leak at the seam around the tank or on the bottom of the tank.
    08 HHR LS - 2.2 | 5 speed | 30 MPG

98 K1500 Z71 - 204k | L31 | 60E | 3.73's | 3" BL | 33x12.5x15 Dick Cepek F-C II's | Dynomax Ultra Flo X DI/DO | 14 MPG

84 S15 Jimmy 2dr 4x4 - engine/tranny all rebuilt

Still easier to remove the box and you don't have to worry about the wiring and line connections on top the tank. BTW thats how its done at the assembly plants in repair.

Another question, I just called a junk yard for a new tank. They said it was eaither a 26 or a 34gal tank. I am leaning towards a 26 but my buddy is thinkin 19gal.

Can anybody clear this up for me, and when I do drop the tank is there a way to tell?
    Hello, my name is Ryan

"If gun owners are as violent as anti-gunners said we are, there wouldn't be any anti's left."

Another question, I just called a junk yard for a new tank. They said it was eaither a 26 or a 34gal tank. I am leaning towards a 26 but my buddy is thinkin 19gal.

Can anybody clear this up for me, and when I do drop the tank is there a way to tell?
    Extended cab short box 26Gal. long box 34Gal.

Quote Originally Posted by redvett01 View Post
    Still easier to remove the box and you don't have to worry about the wiring and line connections on top the tank. BTW thats how its done at the assembly plants in repair.
    My point is that if the tanks leaking, its going to have to come down regardless if its getting replaced. Taking the bed off is just more work for nothing.
    08 HHR LS - 2.2 | 5 speed | 30 MPG

98 K1500 Z71 - 204k | L31 | 60E | 3.73's | 3" BL | 33x12.5x15 Dick Cepek F-C II's | Dynomax Ultra Flo X DI/DO | 14 MPG

84 S15 Jimmy 2dr 4x4 - engine/tranny all rebuilt

Taking the bed off should take 20-30 mins and sure makes it easy to work on.
    8 18mm bolts, unplug tail light wires, disconnect fuel neck ground and rubber hose to the tank.... you dont have to take the bed off either, just scoot it out of the way.

Or you can remove the fuel lines, wires and the two 15mm bolts holding the straps up and lower the tank? Seems easier but its a pain.

Here's an update: I put a coffee can under the leak last night before bed. That was about 11pm. At 7:30pm this morning there was about an inch of gas in the coffee can.

There are 4 vents in the plastic cover on my tank. Its dripping out of the 3rd vent. (towards the back)

Its gotta be a hole in the tank right? I had a new fuel pump put in about 2yrs ago. Oh, and my buddy was telling me that since the fuel tank was dropped two years ago and the bed has never been taken off in the 15yrs that my truck has been alive it will be easier to drop the tank.

Anywho, looks like I have to drive it for another few days untill I get paid.

Thanks again,
    Ryan
    Hello, my name is Ryan

Habitual Troublemaker cancritter's Avatar

heres the deal///plastic cover collects stones and rocks and they sit between tank and platic carrier...eventually they wear through tank...bin there done that...best to put new tank back on without plastic carrier...thats my guess

Last edited by cancritter; 11-19-2009 at 06:56 PM.
    [Stole/FOUND 13/03/08 :O)
    91GM 4x4 excb 5.7 @ 40 over, Westers,Eld 3704.Lunati Trickflow 195 @1.6 RR,Walpro 190/overbuilt 700r4 /TCS TC,4.10/tru trac,14 blt,Hooker LT,areofilter,Extreme TBI.MSD.AGR still adding
    07/ 6.7 Cummins..truck included
    70 fury 3
    71 sport fury GT

Why does GM put that plastic cover on? Seems kinda pointless to me.
    Hello, my name is Ryan

Why does GM put that plastic cover on? Seems kinda pointless to me.
    The shield is there to stop sharp stones and debris from piercing the tank. Best to keep using it in case you run over a steel rod,pipe or bar.

Habitual Troublemaker cancritter's Avatar

yes...the plastic will protect it....wonder what they ever did before plastic
    [Stole/FOUND 13/03/08 :O)
    91GM 4x4 excb 5.7 @ 40 over, Westers,Eld 3704.Lunati Trickflow 195 @1.6 RR,Walpro 190/overbuilt 700r4 /TCS TC,4.10/tru trac,14 blt,Hooker LT,areofilter,Extreme TBI.MSD.AGR still adding
    07/ 6.7 Cummins..truck included
    70 fury 3
    71 sport fury GT

Quote Originally Posted by cancritter View Post
    yes...the plastic will protect it....wonder what they ever did before plastic
    The tank on earlier models was in the cab pre 1973 and early 73-74 some had a metal shield.

** Its fixed!!! **

Wow what a mess, here goes:

So I picked up a used tank from a local salavage yard and exchanged a detail for a local guy to put it in for me. Next day, it was leaking gas. The tank I had got was almost rotten though and after a day of gas it went.

So I called them up and they said they would find me another tank, I gave them my number and told them to call me when they get a tank in for me. Two weeks go by and I call to see what was up. They had a few more tanks but they didn't look good. They never called. Then he said I need a new tank. I paid $65 for the used tank, he told me he would get me a new tank for cost - $108 and put it in.

They told me it would be in on a monday at 9am. I called at 3pm and no tank it was still in the southern part of the state. Was told it would be in the next day. Next day comes and no tank. I said screw it, gave them my number.

Week and ahalf go by and nothing. Called them again, they had the new tank, had it for 3days and never called me. I bring my truck in at night so they can put it in during the day. Called me next day and told me they had ordered the wrong tank. Another 2 weeks go by and they finally get the new new tank in.

Drop it off again, they call. The mechanic broke a stud off the new tank bracket. So they have to come get my old tank to use the bracket.

Finally its fixed.

Cliff notes: Never buy from Accurate Auto salvage in Green Bay, WI.
    Hello, my name is Ryan

You won't like my tastes Swims350's Avatar

coulda saved alot of money, from what I seen on my 88 rcsb 2 bolts and the tank would drop, unplug and unhook lines and wires and good to go....

as for the leak, if you could have found it, seal all glue. works wonders on gas tank leaks.I've used it on several gas tank leaks and stopped them everytime. It also lasted for as long as we had the trucks, which I know was at least 3-4 years with no leaks afterwards.

If you ever do one, here is my opinon. If you have a jack and a decent sized board. Their are 2 to 4 bolts for most tanks. Take them out lower the tank with the jack, disconnec the wires, and lines. Tank is out. Taking the bed off, need a lift, atleast 3 friends, or a cherry picker and a place to put it.
    To drop the tank worst case drain some of it. If you use a jack and your carefull you can drop a full tank. I have dropped a 15 gal tank 1/2 full by myself with no jack. Didn't have anything to drain into and didn't have the money to lose any either. Worked out fine for me.
    Still to this day, I will drop a tank.
    Just dosen't seem worth it to me to pull a bed when a tank has so much less to worry about.

03 Silverado ECSB, Dmax, Allison, 3.73 G80
    96 Silverado ECSB, 350, 4L60E, 3.73's Powertrax Locker
    05 Cavalier
    74 Corvette Stingray, 350, 4 speed
    49 F-1, flathead 6, 4 speed, 2wd, unknown rear end. Old rust bucket.

Ya, it didn't seem too difficult but not something I wanted to attempt in my snow packed gravel driveway with the cold wind blowing. It was originally $65 and buff a 97 F-150. Easy work.
    Last edited by Z71Sierra; 01-09-2010 at 10:46 PM.
    Hello, my name is Ryan

I remeber having 5 or so guys tell me they were going to pull the bed on a Ranger 80's model. Turns out it was out of gas. I pulled it down to a shop class. Free labor. Granted they had a lift, but the tank was down 5 min after getting it off the ground. I would like to know who has ever had a bed off that quick.
    For as many people say it's easier to take the bed off, I am the one guy who will argue all day long, cause it's at most wires, fuel lines, (which have to come off anyway), and 2 to 4 bolts.

03 Silverado ECSB, Dmax, Allison, 3.73 G80
    96 Silverado ECSB, 350, 4L60E, 3.73's Powertrax Locker
    05 Cavalier
    74 Corvette Stingray, 350, 4 speed
    49 F-1, flathead 6, 4 speed, 2wd, unknown rear end. Old rust bucket.

You won't like my tastes Swims350's Avatar

I'm with you kcb, I just can't see taking 8 bed bolts, taillight harness off and then finding ppl or the cherry picker to get the bed off and then have somewheres to put it. Definately not if the tank is coming off.

I do the same thing, drain, board and jack and drop it. I've dropped the tank on dad's 84 c10 so many times it almost takes itself off.

But yea anytime somebody gets a leak and wants to get by for a while or save cash look into seal all, it's gas and oil ressistant and you can get it at wal-mart or parts stores. I've done 2 tanks in my life, just drained them so they didn't leak while doing this, sanded the tank around the leak, slapped some on, you can use a bondo spreader and even it out too, or just stick the tube up there and squeeze lol. I usually do several coats to be sure. It tells ya on the pack how to use it also. Stuff works great, the 86 k10 had a hole right where the strap was and on the bottom of the tank, we had the truck for a few years after that and it never leaked again.