GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2000 Silverado very little heat

This is a discussion on 2000 Silverado very little heat within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; My 2000 silverado is putting out very little heat. I have done so far: Verified the heater core isnt plugged, ...

2000 Silverado very little heat

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    My 2000 silverado is putting out very little heat. I have done so far: Verified the heater core isnt plugged, removed and replaced the thermostat. Replaced the blend door actuator motor and also flushed the entire system and refilled with new coolant. The truck doesnt heat up it cools normally. But I still get very little heat from the vents. The fan runs great but the heat is only luke warm at best coming from the vents when its parked. when its driven the heat all but disappears. Any ideas on what could be causing the problems.

Re: 2000 Silverado very little heat

Truck running hot?

No the trucks runs at about 190 degrees never any hotter than that but the heat still doesnt get up there. The heat gets warmer just running in the driveway, But on the highway the heat all but disappears. Both heater core hoses get hot also, and the water pump is circulating great , I also checked for collasped hoses and they're fine also.
    Thanks

I don't see anything mentioned about the two cabin air filters. If those are caked with years of gunk you won't get much heat. It's a 5 minute ordeal to get in there and check that. Have a vacuum ready because there's bound to be a bunch of leaves and debris waiting to fall to the passenger floor that you'll want to clean up. Vacuum out the filters if you don't feel like replacing them. If they were clogged and reducing air flow then this should improve things significantly.
    00 RCSB Z71/JBA cat-back/Z71 Tahoe valance/EBC slotted&drilled rotors with SS lines & SS braided hoses/Edelbrock headers/BB tune/6000k HID low beam & fog lamps/Auto-headlight disable mod(nice)/Vette servo/LT1 E-fans/LED gauge cluster/Titan 18" wheels/Rollpan/Belltech rear sway bar/2-4 drop

I have tried to locate them as a gut said they were behind a door on the heater compartment, But when I removed the kick plate cover I didnt see any door which might have the filters. I am assuming there are two? Any Idea of where in the heater assembly the door is?
    Thanks

Excuse the spelling I mean a guy instead of a gut.Been a long day trying to fix it with a winter Ice storm here.

Wow i am having the same exact problem... i just flushed my system and replaced my thermostat as well..... same result luke warm heat.... i havnt checked my heater core but i just figured i should replace it, i have over 100k on this one.

i replaced my cabin filter about 2 yrs ago..... dont judge! how do you pull them to inspect them?
    2000/5.3/2wd/rcsb - nelson 93 tune - Doug Thorley LT Headers(Silver Ceramic) - K&N CAI - Dual 40 Series Flowmasters - Magnaflow hiflo cats - D badged - Eaton detroit 3:73 positrac

I'll try to describe it as best i can...Its a lil u shaped piece that has a tiny bolt on one end and it clipped into a lil slot on the other...the bolt is towards the firewall.....get under there and you'll see it....unbolt it and it will swing down out of the way and you can unclip it from the slot....one filter will pull right out and the other needs to slide towards you and then it will drop out as well.......they get extremely clogged up...very well could be your issue
    99 NBS RCLB
    6" superlift full drop
    16x8 AR chambers
    35" cooper atr's
    Yukon 4.11's
    Yukon duragrip
    K&N cold air
    gibson cat-back
    pioneer audio

Thanks, I appreciate the information . I will check that out in the morning and will repost what condition they were in. I appreciate the help from everyone. This is a good forum.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by indigo99 View Post
    I'll try to describe it as best i can...Its a lil u shaped piece that has a tiny bolt on one end and it clipped into a lil slot on the other...the bolt is towards the firewall.....get under there and you'll see it....unbolt it and it will swing down out of the way and you can unclip it from the slot....one filter will pull right out and the other needs to slide towards you and then it will drop out as well.......they get extremely clogged up...very well could be your issue
    Great description. I don't unbolt the door, but it does require manipulating a plastic tab much like you would on some common electrical connectors. The door is about an inch wide and 5 inches tall so you'll be looking for a tall/skinny plastic piece that looks a little odd down there and if you are sitting in the seat it should be right in front of your left foot area. Behind that door are the two filters. One is pushed in behind the other.

Like I mentioned in my previous reply, keep the vacuum cleaner close by because if you have never changed or cleaned out these filters, it might be a mess in there LOL. If it's a mess, when you're done, the heat will chase you out of the cab!!!
    00 RCSB Z71/JBA cat-back/Z71 Tahoe valance/EBC slotted&drilled rotors with SS lines & SS braided hoses/Edelbrock headers/BB tune/6000k HID low beam & fog lamps/Auto-headlight disable mod(nice)/Vette servo/LT1 E-fans/LED gauge cluster/Titan 18" wheels/Rollpan/Belltech rear sway bar/2-4 drop

I hate to admit it, But I have had the truck now for 9 years since it was new and I have never heard of the Cabin filters untill a few days ago. So I can imagine what they will look like. Thanks again for your coments and suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by slinteriors View Post
    I hate to admit it, But I have had the truck now for 9 years since it was new and I have never heard of the Cabin filters untill a few days ago. So I can imagine what they will look like. Thanks again for your coments and suggestions.
    Oh yea, they're gonna be nasty! good luck
    99 NBS RCLB
    6" superlift full drop
    16x8 AR chambers
    35" cooper atr's
    Yukon 4.11's
    Yukon duragrip
    K&N cold air
    gibson cat-back
    pioneer audio

Thanks i will repost tomorrow.

I just had the same problem come up today all of a sudden. So it isn't the cabin filters as they are only a few years old anyways. I'm going to check the core and temp actuator this weekend. Temp actuator has been replaced once for sticking on hot. I'll review my manual tonight as well. Planning on troubleshooting tomorrow.

BTW its an '01.

Quote Originally Posted by AgRunner06 View Post
    I just had the same problem come up today all of a sudden. So it isn't the cabin filters as they are only a few years old anyways. I'm going to check the core and temp actuator this weekend. Temp actuator has been replaced once for sticking on hot. I'll review my manual tonight as well. Planning on troubleshooting tomorrow.

BTW its an '01.
    I change mine once a year( gm's spec._)....they get plugged pretty good. I would check yours anyways since it's easy and cheap if they turn out to be dirty, which yours probably will be since they are a few years old
    99 NBS RCLB
    6" superlift full drop
    16x8 AR chambers
    35" cooper atr's
    Yukon 4.11's
    Yukon duragrip
    K&N cold air
    gibson cat-back
    pioneer audio

Take them out and see what kind of difference you see.

Is there a noticeable increase in air flow with the clean filters.My 2000 5.3 doesnt throw a lot of heat either,but there seems to be plenty of air coming out the vents.Also do the cab circulation button settings make much difference?
    Last edited by Rampage2; 12-18-2009 at 06:14 PM.

Pulled both Cabin filters and was shocked to see they were virtually in new condition. They are the originals from when the truck was new. Not even the slightest bit dirty. Still no heat any other suggestions?
    Thanks

I'm stumped but I also reviewed your original post on this and I guess at this point int time it wouldn't hurt to verify that both heater core hoses are getting hot. If the inlet is hot but the outlet is cooler, that might indicate a blockage or restriction in the core and a quick and easy backflush with a garden hose might be all it needs. It's somewhat common and flushing the cooling system and refilling without backflushing the heater core won't fix the restriction if there is one. Good luck, I hope you get this sorted out because the heat really does work too well in these trucks and having luke warm air during the winter season sucks.

Yes I checked both heater core hoses they are both very hot. I also verified that the control head is working. The heat selector gets cold if i switch to cold and gets slightly warmer when turned to hot. The duct selector also works to devert to the various vents such as dash, floor, defrost and etc. I even tried closing the blend door by hand and still very little heat. The fan works on all settings but on 3 and 4 the force of the fan cools the little heat thats there down to cold. Its definately a strange situation since the water pump is circulating fine and the hoses all have sufficient flow through them as you can squeeze them and then just a slight touch on the throttle will put enough pressure through the hoses that you cant squeeze them even a little. I am at a loss of what to try next. I am thinking of replaceing the main radiator, Plus heater core and water pump along with the heater assembly and all hoses, Basically the entire cooling and heating system as the truck is definately worth the exspense. It may have to wait untill summer as I will do the replacement myself as I already know what a repair shop would charge for a repair of that magnitude. Thanks for your comments and suggestions. This is a good forum.
    Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast