***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Truck spitts and sputters during acceleration

This is a discussion on Truck spitts and sputters during acceleration within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; The problem im having is when it idols its fine. But when i take off to drive it sputters badly ...

Truck spitts and sputters during acceleration

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    The problem im having is when it idols its fine. But when i take off to drive it sputters badly when i release the gas the acceleration comes back slowely. If i floor it the power kicks in then when i let off the gas it sputters again. It runs fine at a idle but sputters when under power. I also notice it more when it is raining. I checked the capand all seems fine I just replaced the plug wires tonight. And im at a loss please help!!

Re: Truck spitts and sputters during acceleration

Does it get worse when it's wet? If so it probably is your cap and rotor. Could have a hairline crack in the cap too.
    What year is it?
    Put a fuel pressure guage on it too. If you lose pressure when you are on the gas that's your problem.
    How old is your fuel filter?

03 Silverado ECSB, Dmax, Allison, 3.73 G80
    96 Silverado ECSB, 350, 4L60E, 3.73's Powertrax Locker
    05 Cavalier
    74 Corvette Stingray, 350, 4 speed
    49 F-1, flathead 6, 4 speed, 2wd, unknown rear end. Old rust bucket.

I got the truck less than a year ago so im not sure the previous owner said he took care of all that before i bought it. I checked the distributor when it does that and all is dry. I thought it was the same thing but it is completly dry. By the way i forgot to tell you guys its a 1990 GMC sierra c-1500 2wd. how would i go about hooking a fuel pressure guage in ? Just put it in line by the TBI? Also what do you think about the Fuel pressure regulator and where is it located?

check your fuel pump relay and oil pressure switch. thats what mine did when they went out

1994 yukon gt .........gone but not forgotten
    1988 silverado RCLB 4wd........sold
    1999 rcsb gmc sierra 1500, new toy

I would go with a TBI rebuild kit. If I had my car here I would take a pic for you. I don't remeber where, but on one of the sides or on the front you have a 10 diget or so number on your TBI. Write that down (kit you buy depends on that number) but the kit cost about 30 dollars. Comes with all the gaskets, FPR, and screens for the injectors, o-rings, ect.. The FPR is in the tbi.
    The fuel pressure guage goes inline where the filter mounts on a TBI.

03 Silverado ECSB, Dmax, Allison, 3.73 G80
    96 Silverado ECSB, 350, 4L60E, 3.73's Powertrax Locker
    05 Cavalier
    74 Corvette Stingray, 350, 4 speed
    49 F-1, flathead 6, 4 speed, 2wd, unknown rear end. Old rust bucket.

Do you think the EGR valve would do that? I took the cap off and inspected it today. All is good so to be safe i sprayed it down with wd-40 to coat it with some silicone. But it still does it .

u sprayed the dizzy cap with wd40??? huh??? i would think if its the egr sticking open it would throw a code, if not it would do it during idle too IMO

But what if it sticks closed? And yes i sprayed the distrubutor with WD-40 is something wrong? Its a old trick my grandfather and father taught me years ago and has never failed me yet. as long as it gets a good coat so all small hairline cracks are covered. TEMPORARY fix only so i figured i would give it try it couldnt hurt. Anyways i checked the valve with my finger by pushing it manually and it bogged just like it always does. When i slowely pushed the throttle it did not move. But when i nailed it the valve interior moved with no hesitation. this is why im confused.

i dont think its ur egr. and i forgot about that old trick lol. usually its to get rid of the water... good times.

I wish i knew what it is i hate this stuff where the problems are unknown.

Check the external coil and the pickup coil with an Ohm meter.Possible the external coil is getting weak or the pickuo coil has the wires pulling out and under acceleration the coil is twisting and the wires are losing some connection.

Question Re: Truck spitts and sputters during acceleration

Hump-- it has a external coil not a HEI system. The coil sits behind the TBI and is bolted to the intake seperate from the distributor would that make a difference? I have a Multimeter can i still test the coil and wiring with that if so what should the reading be? Sorry about all the questions but im new to the wiring game. I know how to wire stuff up but not to sure about the trouble shooting side of it with the meters and all of that

m0therf0ckingBabyMaker

I had the same thing with my S10...it was one of the plug wires...

2dr/2wd/Hatch, 4/6 Drop, 22" Centerlines, 4 12" RE SXX, MMats 3500.1, MMats SQ4160

I just replaced all the plug wires i think my next step is to check the EGR valve and the distributor cap to see if either one of these cure it.

I said external coil and yes you can put an Ohm meter on it and see if its in spec,They also have 2 wires coming into the distributor from the distributor shaft,That is the pickup or exciter coil as I have heard it called before,You have to remove the distributor and then the drive gear to change the damn thing.It is just a coil that slides over the distributor shaft.You can check it by unplugging it and Ohming it.Not sure what the specs are,Im sure a search will find them.That little coil is overlooked,Ive posted a few times about wasting a weekend throwing parts at an old truck I had and it was that simple little thing.

Hump-- sorry i missed that its to darn early here. lol anyways i know what your talking about i have heard of that pick up going bad before. Very rarelly but i have heard of it. You said its a 2 wire setup right? Then when i test it just test the ohms by one lead (red) on one and one lead (black) on the other. Please dont think im stupid for asking such dumb questions but the mulit meter stuff confuses me a bit im used to doing it the old fashion way. I do knowmy way around a car or truck very well just some small stuff confuses me.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...PartType=C0334

Theres a pic of one.You can see its just a nylon piece with windings inside.Both of the ones that have failed on me had the 2 leads broke right at the edge of the plastic.One was intermittent for along time,truck always ran like it was wet,especially on damp days( sound familiar) and the other was on an HEI truck that just quit and wouldnt start.Both of them had the broke/frayed wires.Looks like the distributor shaft caught the plastic piece and tried to spin it,pulling the wires out.May not be your problem,but def something to look into.

Haha,Im not good at the electrical either,I usually throw parts at things.I have been burned 2 times by that stupid coil,so its one of the 1st things that come to mind on a poor running truck.They are cheap,just kinda sucks having to remove the distributor.

Registered User hotrod_suburban's Avatar

when i bought my suburban it had a bad O2 sensor and it did something like you describe.im not saying thats it but maybe its something to look into?
    Last edited by hotrod_suburban; 12-26-2009 at 07:23 AM.

1982 Toyota Celica Supra, 5 speed

Quote Originally Posted by hotrod_suburban View Post
    when i bought my suburban it had a bad O2 sensor and it did something like you describe.im not saying thats it but maybe its something to look into?
    Its a idea but i dont think so cause its got headers and the genius who put them in put the o2 sensor pinched in between the floor and the header the wire lead has been broken off for awhile. lol i went and got a hrottle position sensor and a EGR valve on the way home and am gonna put them on tomorrow . I will keep you all updated thanks for all the help.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast