If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

99 silverado 5.3 miss/jerk engine light

This is a discussion on 99 silverado 5.3 miss/jerk engine light within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Originally Posted by Stumasters .... I just can't see how a fuel pump would be causing the problem if the ...

Re: 99 silverado 5.3 miss/jerk engine light

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumasters View Post

I just can't see how a fuel pump would be causing the problem if the pressure holds so well when it's on a meter. ....

I don't understand about the fuel pressure. Last week (quote above) you indicated the fuel pressure was good.

Now you say you installed a new pump and the fuel pressure is bad??????

That makes no sense at all, other than you must have gotten a bad pump.

-

No no, the pressure read good on my friends pressure gauge, but my gauge, and a GM dealers gauge both read super low, 49 - 50psi idling.

I believe my friend had a faulty gauge that was reading pressures too high.

However, the new pump is basically sending the same pressure, which means 2 things, first, the old pump was probably fine. Second, there has to be something between the pump and its power supply, or fuel lines that's causing the pressure to run so low.

I am going to change the filter again, and do a pressure check there today. If the pressure at the filter is the same as the rail, the lines are fine and the pump or power supply will be the focus, if the pressure is higher at the filter, then there is an issue in the lines somewhere for supply.

That's about all I can figure at this point.

Ok, changed the filter today, which was a little dirty, but sadly, pressure remained the same.

SO, I began checking pressure again at the rail. Pulled the vacuum hose off the FPR, and what did I find, a nice even 60+ lbs of pressure.

Blipped the throttle, never dropped below 58 lbs.

Taped the MF hose up with black tape, and drove it till the wheels fell off.

NO CODES - NO CODES - NO CODES - NO CODES - NO CODES - NO CODES - NO CODES

Yep, that's what I said.

A simple 800.00 strip of black electrical tape has repaired my problem.

Can't see any reason that the FPR needs to be used, so until it causes a problem, it's getting taped too!

Thanks for all your help and suggestions. I should have thought about checking pressure with the FPR off long ago, I am an idiot.

UPDATE ---

It's been about 2 months or more now, driving without a regulator hose connected, and it's still driving tip top shape. No engine light, no hesitation, no missing, nothing.

I updated my electrical tape fix with a proper vacuum line terminator cap available at any autoparts store. Great fix!

Hmm, that's interesting. You would think your pressure would be higher with it. Well glad you found the problem!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123