GM Inside - Muscle Cars - Jeep

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

No start after intake manifold gasket replacement

This is a discussion on No start after intake manifold gasket replacement within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Hey everyone.....this is my first post here. Hopefully not the last I recently acquired my truck and need a lil ...

No start after intake manifold gasket replacement

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Hey everyone.....this is my first post here. Hopefully not the last I recently acquired my truck and need a lil help with it. My signature says what I have.

I'm very savvy with vehicles and have pretty much built my supercharged car from the bottom up. But this has got me stumped for sure!

I replaced the intake manifold gasket a couple days ago now the truck will not start at all. I've checked all the electrical connections and they are all plugged in. I have spark and fuel delivery but it just won't fire at all. It will have those mini explosion sounds like if the firing order is off but it's not I've checked it many times to be sure.

Where the intake manifold was leaking coolant like a lake from the rear of the motor but ran down to the front. It leaked all over the crankshaft position sensor and, assuming, the camshaft sensor too. The truck did die several times while I limped it home when the gasket broke (only 1/2 a mile from home)

I miss my truck....please help!!! Thank you ahead of time.
    Indigo Blue Metallic 1998 C1500 Silverado Extended Cab/Short Bed 5.0L/305ci 4 spd Auto

Clear headlight kit with 10K HID headlights and LED blinker, side markers, and license plate bulbs.

15" MB Motoring Wheels with 275/60R15 tires

Re: No start after intake manifold gasket replacement

Quote Originally Posted by Honda Hater View Post
    Hey everyone.....this is my first post here. Hopefully not the last I recently acquired my truck and need a lil help with it. My signature says what I have.

I'm very savvy with vehicles and have pretty much built my supercharged car from the bottom up. But this has got me stumped for sure!

I replaced the intake manifold gasket a couple days ago now the truck will not start at all. I've checked all the electrical connections and they are all plugged in. I have spark and fuel delivery but it just won't fire at all. It will have those mini explosion sounds like if the firing order is off but it's not I've checked it many times to be sure.

Where the intake manifold was leaking coolant like a lake from the rear of the motor but ran down to the front. It leaked all over the crankshaft position sensor and, assuming, the camshaft sensor too. The truck did die several times while I limped it home when the gasket broke (only 1/2 a mile from home)

I miss my truck....please help!!! Thank you ahead of time.
    I'd guess that your distributor is probably 180* out. is the rotor pointing at #1 with the motor at cyl 1 TDC compression stroke?

1996 C1500 ECSB 5.7L AKA the "LS31", distributorless w/LS2 coils, RHS Heads, ZZ4 Cam, T56 6 speed, 12200411 PCM, 4.88s...Coming soon: forged twin turbo 383..

Quote Originally Posted by Aloicious View Post
    I'd guess that your distributor is probably 180* out. is the rotor pointing at #1 with the motor at cyl 1 TDC compression stroke?
    thats originally what i thought. but it's an electronic distributor. i thought there wasn't any moving parts inside of it and the sprocket that turned just helped with the oil pump. am i wrong?
    Indigo Blue Metallic 1998 C1500 Silverado Extended Cab/Short Bed 5.0L/305ci 4 spd Auto

Clear headlight kit with 10K HID headlights and LED blinker, side markers, and license plate bulbs.

Yes, you are wrong. The distributor still has a rotor bug inside and must be timed. You have to have a scanner to properly set the cam retard, but you can get it pretty darn close using the TDC method. Be sure you are pointed at the #1 as they cross in the cap.

Quote Originally Posted by 99-2door View Post
    Yes, you are wrong. The distributor still has a rotor bug inside and must be timed. You have to have a scanner to properly set the cam retard, but you can get it pretty darn close using the TDC method. Be sure you are pointed at the #1 as they cross in the cap.
    sweet....i'm going to go spin it 180 and see what happens. will post my results. Thank you guys for your help so far!! :)

sweet....i'm going to go spin it 180 and see what happens. will post my results. Thank you guys for your help so far!! :)
    yup thats most likey the problem, make sure you're at TDC on the compression stroke for #1, the timing mark on the balancer will line up for TDC compression #1 OR #6. like was mentioned, you do need a scanner to set the CMP retard offset correctly, but you can get 'er running and possibly very close using the TDC method.

OT, where around sac are you from? I grew up in Orangevale, right next to Folsom.
    Last edited by Aloicious; 12-30-2009 at 02:52 PM.

1996 C1500 ECSB 5.7L AKA the "LS31", distributorless w/LS2 coils, RHS Heads, ZZ4 Cam, T56 6 speed, 12200411 PCM, 4.88s...Coming soon: forged twin turbo 383..

Quote Originally Posted by Aloicious View Post
    yup thats most likey the problem, make sure you're at TDC on the compression stroke for #1, the timing mark on the balancer will line up for TDC compression #1 OR #6. like was mentioned, you do need a scanner to set the CMP retard offset correctly, but you can get 'er running and possibly very close using the TDC method.

OT, where around sac are you from? I grew up in Orangevale, right next to Folsom.
    i think i got it.....the popping sounds are gone. won't start but I don't think the battery has enough juice for the initial start up after resetting the computer. gotta get it charged and see where i stand.

I'm from Oak Park...South Sac. Right by UCD Med Center.
    Last edited by Honda Hater; 12-30-2009 at 02:58 PM.

i think i got it.....the popping sounds are gone. won't start but I don't think the battery has enough juice for the initial start up after resetting the computer. gotta get it charged and see where i stand.

I'm from Oak Park...South Sac. Right by UCD Med Center.
    right on, I've been around the UCD center many times.

let us know how it goes once you get that battery charged.

Ok.....I haven't had time to work out the battery issue until this morning. It was shot to hell but got a free replacement. Thank someone for a warranty.

Anyway.....now that the truck cranks. I have an ignition issue. It cranks fine with the coil unplugged but when its plugged in it act likes it wants to start but it hesitates. I have made 2 sound files. Check em out and see if you can shed some insight on whats happening.

I MISS MY TRUCK.

Link to the sounds:
    https://www.dropbox.com/link/17.EYuK...a142792d2f3ac8

I'm guessing you timing is off, i just change the gaskets on the 96 a week ago, you can get it close to where it needs to be, but you will need a scanner capable of reading cam retard. It needs to be +-2* from 0 at 1000rpm, here is a like that will get you headed in the right direction.
    http://www.truckforum.org/forums/gmc...-question.html
    Last edited by fast 95; 01-07-2010 at 11:40 AM.

1/4 mile ET 11.77 @ 117 mph
    sig by; Chuggs
    Quote Originally Posted by 03CCDually View Post

Im not trying to set any world speed records, i dont need to do everything i can for a better ET.
    I do this for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by fast 95 View Post
    I'm guessing you timing is off, i just change the gaskets on the 96 a week ago, you can get it close to where it needs to be, but you will need a scanner capable of reading cam retard. It needs to be +-2* from 0 at 1000rpm, here is a like that will get you headed in the right direction.
    http://www.truckforum.org/forums/gmc...-question.html
    wow as many times as i had the distributor out trying to figure this out....i never saw those marks on it. i'll line it up on the compression stroke with the mark on the crank pulley and the marks on the distributor. Hopefully that will at least get it to run in some form. TYVM for the link!!

As for the scanner.....my step dad has a Genesis. Would that do the job??
    Last edited by Honda Hater; 01-07-2010 at 04:48 PM.

Not sure on your scanner, all that was new to me as well, glad i did my homework before i changed out the gaskets.

1/4 mile ET 11.77 @ 117 mph
    sig by; Chuggs
    Quote Originally Posted by 03CCDually View Post

Im not trying to set any world speed records, i dont need to do everything i can for a better ET.
    I do this for fun.

alright after a week of bad weather that i didn't get to try anything on the truck. IT RUNS NOW!!!!

I did the instructions on here http://www.truckforum.org/forums/gmc...-question.html last weekend and it wouldn't start. So yesterday, no rain for a change, I went out there with a friend and turned the distributor while he cranked it. It almost fired. So I figured the distributor was off by a couple teeth. Took it out....turned it a lil....reinstalled and it fired right up!!!

After a bout with a clogged fuel filter (should have seen the nastiness that came out of that thing!! Chunky brown gas anyone??) that I changed today.....it runs awesome!!!! Just like new again!!

Thank you everyone for all your help!!!!!
    Last edited by Honda Hater; 01-25-2010 at 05:06 PM.

alright after a week of bad weather that i didn't get to try anything on the truck. IT RUNS NOW!!!!

I did the instructions on here http://www.truckforum.org/forums/gmc...-question.html last weekend and it wouldn't start. So yesterday, no rain for a change, I went out there with a friend and turned the distributor while he cranked it. It almost fired. So I figured the distributor was off by a couple teeth. Took it out....turned it a lil....reinstalled and it fired right up!!!

After a bout with a clogged fuel filter (should have seen the nastiness that came out of that thing!! Chunky brown gas anyone??) that I changed today.....it runs awesome!!!! Just like new again!!

Thank you everyone for all your help!!!!!
    Righteous.
    Glad you got it working.