GM Inside - Muscle Cars - Jeep

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Rear brakes-92 GM

This is a discussion on Rear brakes-92 GM within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I own a 92 GM pickup 4X4. Wheel cylinder blew on the rear. I do have some mechanical skills, I ...

Rear brakes-92 GM

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I own a 92 GM pickup 4X4.

Wheel cylinder blew on the rear. I do have some mechanical skills, I have done several brake jobs on the front but never on the back.

When I pulled the tires off the shoes were cracked on both sides. The drums don't look in very good shape and one of the springs is broke. Am I just best to do a complete brake job with shows, cylinders, spring kits and drums?

I have never done rear brakes are they hard to do?

Pictures? Diagram?

Thanks

UNDER CONSTRUCTION.......

Re: Rear brakes-92 GM

well first off before you remove any springs on either side do a quick diagram or take a few pictures of each side, so you know how the springs are all located as well as the adjustment pin.
    and if you can take off the drums and take them to a shop that turns drums and rotors and have them test the drums to see if they are turnable OR if they must be replaced.
    no need buying new ones if you dont have to! but i would replace both wheel cylinders and pads,springs all at once as well. at least that way YOU KNOW your rear brakes are all good and wont have to be messed with for along time!
    i say both wheel cylinders since youll have to bleed the system anyways so might as well replace it at the same time since its so cheap!

hardest thing about doing rear brakes are those springs! they sell afew tools to make it alot easier.... but sometimes all ya need is a few different types of pliers or screwdrivers. just remember where all the springs go and youll do just fine. and only do one side at a time, so you do have a comparison by using the otherside.
    97 C1500 Extended cab 3rd door 5.7, 4/6 djm drop, 30bar billet grill

need any OBS parts and some NBS parts PM me. im a junk yard whore and go all the time.
    tho please small parts for shipping

You won't like my tastes Swims350's Avatar

agreed they aint bad. Most I've seen like my dad's have a few long springs that are stiff and require the brake spring tool to aid the job. He can do them very fast after doing a pretty good lot in his life.

I tried to tackle this job on my 88 and it was easier, mine had a different shoe setup, only 2 hold down springs, a thin one on bottom holding the shoes together, and a heavy one at top holding them together with an adjuster and arm.

As for drums take them to a machine shop let them check them to see if they can be "turned" or cut down/resurface. If so it's like half the cost of new drums, like 7-15 a piece compared to say 30 bucks for a new drum.

I'd buy both wheel cylinders they are quick, easy and cheap. I paid $13 each for them, one brake line which was 9/16 on mine and 2 10mm bolts I think and you're done.

Buy the hardware kits for both sides and if your adjuster are rusted up try wd-40 on them OFF the truck DO NOT use wd40 on that stuff on the truck. You could probably clean it off with brake clean but just to be safe, you don't want oil on your new stuff. If they don't free up buy new ones they are cheap too.

tee-boy

iF YOU'RE DOING DRUMS/SHOES, Make sure to do cylinder too. If you reuse the old wheel cylinders, the pistons will tuck further back into the bores and pickup dirt/trash (since the new shoes will be thicker than the old ones). A few weeks later they will be leaking due to worn seals from the dirt/trash.

The 10" drums on the NBS's are inferior to the 11" drums on the OBS's. Easier to take to a shop if you ask me. There are some tricks of the trade to loop the springs over (typical adjuster tool doesn't work wonders on the 10" brakes).
    94 Silverado 2WD; 284K miles; Built 4L60E

98 Trans Am; TH 400; 4400 Stall; F.A.S.T. 90; SS Long Tubes; BMR rear adjustable suspension; Slicks and Skinnies on Bogarts; Electric Water Pump; 11.50 1/4 mile; 400 lbs weight reduction; Underdriven; Stock valvetrain (Always a Work in Progress)

Any one know where I can get a diagram on line?

Thanks for the input!

UNDER CONSTRUCTION.......

well to the wd40 idea.... DONT USE IT to lube the adjuster!!!!
    you can use it to free up the adjuster BUT you want to wipe that crap off and get some high temp grease and put it in the cap and on the threads of the adjuster and the other side cap as well since they both need to freely spin to be able to properly keep them adjusted!
    the wd40 will dry up fast and just be gone... but the high temp grease will last along time and keep it all free!
    97 C1500 Extended cab 3rd door 5.7, 4/6 djm drop, 30bar billet grill

need any OBS parts and some NBS parts PM me. im a junk yard whore and go all the time.
    tho please small parts for shipping

You won't like my tastes Swims350's Avatar

yea I didn't mean use it to lube it only to loosen it up.

Also for reusing wheel cylinders, that's funny I could see the dirt thing happening but we've reused some several times with new shoes and never a problem.

As for 10 inch and 11 I forget which I have I think the 10's since the setup is different from say an 84 c10. The tool works great on the 84 c10 but agreed doesn't do squat on mine. I didn't hve any troubles doing mine by hand though with pliers and screwdrivers.